666 or 616??

by metatron 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• metatron
    metatron

Last night, on the Discovery Channel, they interviewed a researcher who analyzed a scrap of papyrus that recorded Revelation.

He contended that the critical passage of the "number of the beast" actually read 616 in Greek, not 666. He tried to apply

this to Caligula thru numerology.

I had never heard of this variant reading before.

metatron

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The author (or compiler) of Revelation was most likely John the Presbyter, an influential church leader in Ephesus. Around A.D. 130, one of his disciples, Papias, bishop of Hierapolis, wrote a five-volume work that gave some of the earliest interpretations of Revelation. He indicated the number as 666, as Irenaeus testified.

• City Fan
    City Fan

The Hebrew spelling of Nero Caesar was NRWN QSR. Gematria was used to represent letters as numbers and NRWN QSR = 666

Nero Caesar transliterated from Latin gives a gematria number of 616, so a Hebrew spelling gives 666 and a Latin spelling gives 616.

I've never seen it used to describe Caligula, the 666/616 variant is proof that the number referred to Nero.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Does this also cast doubt upon the neighbor of the beast - 668?

• waiting
    waiting

Wellllllllll, until Running Man's question - I was rather lost.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Don't call on the people living at 666! No way any sheeplike people live in a house numbered 666!

{Superstitious panic}

• City Fan
    City Fan

I may add to my post when I get back from my football charity dinner.

• sf
    sf

What stuck out for me while watching this program last night was when the word martyr was classified as :a witness.

"Jehovah's Martyrs"? Interesting. I kept thinking it was witnesses because "only jehovahs people WITNESS the works of Him".

sKally, beyond the pale horse klass

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Excuse me whilst I go outside and change the number of my trailer to '666'.

Regards,

Jim TX

• rnovello
    rnovello

It was also brought out on the History Channel that the book of Rev. probably does not ever refer to our time, but to the ancient time back then as John was writing this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit