Churches helping neighbors instead of JW"s

by life is to short 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    JW's are conditioned to only help fellow JW's in time of need. ''screw the rest of them'' so to speak.
  • Watchtower-Free
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

LITS, I am glad you all are okay from your storm. Yes, Christendom has many groups that are not all about the money, and even those included, they can be wonderful people who reach out to ANYONE and offer help.

I can't say how it sickens me when I hear of JW's telling JW people of lesser means that it is fine to take advantage of some of the things Christian programs offer them. Those comments are few are far between as Christendom is from Satan, but they come up when it's a matter of a JW congregation helping or those agents of Satan.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

if there are 3 months left before the world ends, then by all means, save as many as you can with the gospel, but if there are 3 years or more before, then people NEED things to survive.

Well............you must realize that it is CLOSE -- in fact, VERY VERY CLOSE.

(I think I read that in 1969, again in 1992, again etc etc)

Doc

• blondie
    blondie

(James 2:14-17) 14 Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if a certain one says he has faith but he does not have works? That faith cannot save him, can it? 15 If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, 16 yet a certain one of YOU says to them: “Go in peace, keep warm and well fed,” but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it? 17 Thus, too, faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself.

----------The WTS tends to use only verses 14 and 17, making it a snippet and out of context.

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 10/07 p. 7 Announcements ***

At times, questions arise as to whether it is appropriate for the branch office or a congregation to be designated to receive donations from programs that offer to contribute to charitable organizations. The local elders can address such inquiries in accord with guidelines they have received. Publishers should obtain theocratic direction from the elders before deciding to participate in such donation programs.

• blondie
    blondie

*** yb89 pp. 63-64 1989 Yearbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

Our brothers had to flee, and again they lost everything they owned. However, with cooperation from representatives of two relief organizations, the government arranged to fly our brothers back to the capital city, where the majority had resided originally. Many arrived destitute. Some were so poorly clothed that they felt too embarrassed to leave the airport. They asked themselves: “What are we to eat? . . . What are we to put on?” (Matt. 6:31) But Jehovah God provided. News about their plight was reported to the brothers in South Africa, who quickly arranged for relief supplies—83 tons of food and clothing. With the help of the Red Cross, the supplies were promptly delivered to our brothers

• blondie
    blondie

*** w73 3/1 p. 135 After the Managua Earthquake ***

On December 29 the relief work of Jehovah’s witnesses was explained to the entire office staff of the Red Cross. They were greatly impressed and kept repeating over and over again: “That is what we should be doing. That is how we should do it.” They were amazed to learn that Jehovah’s witnesses had fourteen relief distribution points around the outskirts of Managua and a list of the names of all families receiving assistance.

The director of the Red Cross, Mr. Reinaldo Tapia Molina, wrote out an order for 1,000 pounds of rice and 2,100 pounds of beans to assist Jehovah’s witnesses in their relief work. The next day governmental authorization was received for the release of the food requested in the order received from the Red Cross.

Later the Red Cross supplied about a ton and a half of food and ten tents. These tents were put to good use by those who had been sleeping out in the open. They were very much needed, as the dew had been so heavy that by the morning those sleeping under the stars had to wring out their sheets.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I once read about a JW family that fell on hard times, but because of their inactive status, the local KH congregation didn't go out of their way to help.

It was the local Pentecostal church (along with a few others) that stepped up to the plate and helped them get back on their feet.

x

I also read another similar story about an inactive JW dying, and the local KH wouldn't hold a funeral for the guy, so a local Baptist church held one for him and his family.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    Hope you are fine there in this cold time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit