by OnTheWayOut 26 Replies latest jw friends

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

"It has absolutely no meaning."

Yeah, but one day it's...

And the next thing you know...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    A Justin Beiber Xmas song. It won't be long before some JW picks up on it.
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

Today: "Fa-la-la"

Tomorrow: www.JWFacts.com

Praise Jah! lol

• blondie
    blondie
    "Fa la la" comes from the English madrigal, as in these lyrical examples.
    Thomas Morley, "My Bonny Lass She Smileth." The First Booke of Balletts to Five Voyces, 1595.

My bonny lass she smileth
    When she my heart beguileth. Fa la.
    Smile less, dear love, therefore,
    And you shall love me more. Fa la.

When she her sweet eye turneth,
    O how my heart it burneth! Fa la.
    Dear love, call in their light,
    Or else you burn me quite! Fa la.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Your wife seems to live in her own universe. Even for a Jehovah's witness. You are a good man, otwo.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Page 1 replies:

Cognac, yup.....to be a fly on the wall. While she bought it, she won't ever wear it around them. I hope I am wrong.

SafeAtHome, it wasn't red or green. She did google it and it probably did say it was in that song, but she focused right away on it having no literal meaning. DUH! They are just singing notes. Like the DO RE MI scale. That's how she felt.

Dagney, it wasn't that she thought I was wrong. She wanted the $4 deal and acted as if she thought I was narrowly focused on "ONE ASPECT" of what "fa la la" meant when I read it. I guess I could describe it as what a "worldly apostate" would see vs. what anyone else would see. Of course, she's wrong as anyone else would see it as part of "Deck the Halls."

JRK is referring to an inside joke between us. Technically, you can drive from Chicago to Detroit without going through Indiana, but you turn a 4 hour drive into a 16 to 24 hour drive to do it. And that's what she did- turned an obvious Christmas-themed shirt into a meaningless shirt by going all the way around the obvious meaning.

Stealth, that would be true.

scary21, I may use that. "Tell your JW friends that see your shirt that 'fa la la' was going through your brain when you bought it."

brandnew, here's the next lines for you to sing along (and count all the occurrences of "la"):
    Tis the season to be jolly,
    Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Don we now our gay apparel,
    Fa la la, la la la, la la la.
    Troll the ancient Yule tide carol,
    Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Sparrowdown, that is the most profound thought. I missed the opportunity to say that at that moment.
    "You whip out google on the smartphone to see if this is okay. I hope you do the same when you hear some new point at the assembly hall like 'overlapping generation.'"

• carla
    carla
    That is hilarious! I usually don't point these things out to my jw, I like to let him hang himself. Kind of like when he forgets he is a jw and a 'Bless You' slips out at a sneeze. Old habits die hard I guess. Gives all of us a giggle though so it's all good.
  • blondie
    blondie

It is amazing that jws believe that Jingle Bells is a Christmas song though.

Jingle Bells

By Crazy Frog

Dashing through the snow
    In a one horse open sleigh
    O'er the fields we go
    Laughing all the way
    Bells in bobtails ring
    Making spirits bright
    What fun it is to ride and sing
    A sleighing song tonight
    Jingle bells
    Jingle bells
    Jingle all the way
    Oh what fun it is to ride
    Jingle bells
    Jingle bells
    Jingle all the way
    Oh what fun it is to ride

Songwriters: CLARK, ANDY / TRADITIONAL (PD), N
  • Dold Agenda
    Dold Agenda

Even I from Sweden had associate "fa la la" with a Christmas song.... and then i am near the 50:s

Your wife is living under a stone, yes?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Continue page 2 replies:

Blondie, my wife may very well have come up with something like your song there. It's just that once it was identified to her by me, she acted so "normal" about that and ignored the Christmas tie-in.

I have said many times that Jingle Bells has no mentions of Christmas whatsoever.

FayeDunaway, I think so too. She has no clue what many doctrines are, just that JW's are in "the truth."

carla, thanks for the laugh. Yup, it's all good.

Dold Agency, in many ways she is living under a stone. Other JW's have asked the odd question that makes me wonder. A JW family, elder and pioneer, teen daughter and pre-teen son, were giggling once about this song they heard on the radio- Bob Dylan's "Everybody must get stoned." They all assumed it was about nobody measuring up and all being deserving of literal stoning. I said "You're kidding, right?" They were not kidding, so I had to explain what "getting stoned" meant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit