Those scary apostates outside conventions with banners and megaphones...

by dolphman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• micheal
    micheal

I remember coming out of the assembly seeing this crazy dude with a full gorilla costume on. I really don't know what his objective was. By the way the temperature was 115 degrees outside.

• yrs2long
    yrs2long

As a teen, I just thought they were looney. It was bad enough I had to dedicate whole weekends to sitting through boring talks, but to waste it standing outside holding signs and shouting to people who thought me possessed would have been worse. I still can't imagine that I would ever do that. There are better ways to waste a weekend.

Has anyone ever been successful in turning someone away in this manner?

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I don't mean to disrespect anyone here who may have participated in such things but I honestly felt that the shouting did more harm than good. I thought my dad was going to punch one back when I was about 10 or 11.

The man started yelling that my father didn't love me because he would allow me to die on the operating table. He obviously didn't know my dad. It was stupid and it scared me.

I would suggest that standing there quietly and respectfully holding signs with website addresses would be much more effective. Maybe looking like you're having fun with your friends while doing this would also be effective. The groups I remember all seemed very angry and they sure scared us kids.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

For the love of god!!!! These people were nutters!"

Who hear said they saw a little girl with long red hair beautiful and giving out apostate literature maybe about 7 or 8, and thought surely Jehovah wouldn't kill her...... this is laughable. And very sad, had the same girl knocked on your door with a WT and her mother you'd be condemning her mother for indoctrination into a cult. Give me a break.

The people I always saw outside conventions were always loopy. My dad (never a Witness) took mum me and my sister to Twickenham one year circa 1983 and some apostate crowd were there shoving and harrasing witnesses on the way in, being just kids, Jane and me were scared, my dad took one look and walked up to them and said, if u like your face I suggest you F off right now. Their look was priceless. Their flipboards soon came down.

• larc
    larc

So, your daddy was a good Christian man, but he told them to F - off. I do not see the conextion between being a good Christian and telling someone to F - off. Would you please expain this to me?????

• La Capra
    La Capra

At the Cow Palace in San Francisco, there were always a few at the entrance gates. However, after driving through the streets of San Francisco, seeing them was a lot less bizarre than many of other sights we had just experienced. I always thought they must certainly be really convinced of what they were trying to tell us to be just a few, making noodles of themselves, in front of thousands of people whose convictions were so diametrically opposed and equally strong. Shoshana

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

larc you seem to have a problem with reading....I said quite clearly my dad was never a JW or a christian, he just took mum sis and me to the convention.

• Piph
    Piph

I was really scared of them when I was little too. I remember there was one who used to be in our KH...he kind of went nutso after he was DF'd and threw huge rocks in the elders' living room windows. *eek* He would also picket at our KH during the meetings with signs about one of the JW pillars in the area raping his daughter. (I actually don't think he had kids.) He would also come in to the KH during meetings and wave the signs around during the talks. When he was still a JW I remember him giving me candy. I kind of liked him after that (as a rule I didn't like any males I wasn't related to). I remember asking my mom why he had a sign that said an elder raped his daughter. She said that apostates make stuff like that up just to get people mad. *arrgh* Now I wonder. Sure he may have been nutso, but maybe he was for a reason.

I remember someone handing me apostate literature when I was pioneering as an adult. The lady who handed it to me seemed really nice, and her eyes and voice had such a pleading quality when she asked me to read it. I was sorely tempted, and had I been at the door alone, I probably would have pocketed the pamphlet and read it later. But since I was with someone else I felt like I had to make a show of getting rid of it so I tore it to pieces in the car (got myself a big-ass papercut because of it!) and threw it in a dumpster so I wouldn't be tempted to tape it together later. I've always wondered what it said.

• greven
    greven

The anger, shouting and raving only confirms the apostate stereotype. It has been said by other poster: it scares people away. I think it does more harm than good.

Here in the Netherlands I have never seen such a thing BTW. It surprises me actually it still happens in the US...

Displaying or distributing flyers (cars,toilets, seats) with research websites is much more effective and let's people retain their dignity IMHO.

Greven

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Displaying or distributing flyers (cars,toilets, seats) with research websites is much more effective and let's people retain their dignity IMHO.

But flyers can be gotten rid of easily. I wonder how much it would cost to hire an advertising hoarding at a place where they hold the assemblies.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit