Hypoglycemic, are you?

by Tinkerbell4125 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Frannie, how were you feeling when you became hypoglycemic? Were you dizzy alot? Headaches? I feel like my brain is having a swing dance!

I've got an appointment in the morning at the hospital to have some blood test run. Fun Fun!!!!

I just want to get to feeling better.

hmmm, Tink...I'm trying to think back that far....it was in the early 70's when I first suspected....it seems some of my symptoms that I can remember were....if I ate something like a wedge of Strawberry Pie (with Strawberry glaze and whipped cream on top), I'd have a splitting headache within 10 minutes....If I didn't eat, I'd get a headache and get shaky and dizzy.....and mostly eating carbs and sugars made my brain feel as though it were full of cotton....very fuzzy thinking....so, yes, I guess my early symptoms coincide with yours.

I'm glad you're taking care of this, Tink....it gets worse faster, if you ignore it.....I hope they're running the 5 to 6 hr glucose tolerance test on you...anything less doesn't pick it up.....and just remember, even though the "official bottom line" is 50....(officially, any blood sugar reading 50 or below qualifies as hypoglycemia)....it doesn't mean you don't have it, if yours doesn't read that low....I get shaky, dizzy, and get slurred speech at a reading of 75.....everyone's metabolism is different....OHHH! And be sure to bring along a high protein snack (big one) for when the test is over, cause you're gonna feel like cr*p when you try to walk out of there and drive home...take along some chromium, too..just in case (for afterward)....my kids have it, too....and my youngest fell to his knees and almost passed out on the sidewalk when we left the Dr.'s office after having the GT Test.

Good luck, Tink...

Frannie

• shamus
    shamus

Tink,

If you are interested I know of a website run by a doc tor that has the same thing... that we both have. That is half of my depression... I have to take Niacin and Zinc daily...

PM me if you want to chat about it. It's very interesting to reasearch, and you'll feel a lot better.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hey Frannie, thank you for sharing some good advice for Tink.

In one of Tink's replies she mentioned I knew of a person who was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. The person was my Ex. After her diagnosis the doctor gave her a general diet from a hospital dietician. At the bottom of the page in big bold letters was a warning that sugar free does not mean OK for Hypoglycemics or Diabetics. Aspertame is one of the most popular sugar substitutes. It is made from fruit extracts and is very concentrated. It reacts the same as regular sugar or carbs on your Pancreas. Do you get any of your symptoms after eating something with this type of sugar substitute in it? My Ex-boss is diabetic. He drank diet Pepsi all day long for years and is now on dialysis and can no longer work. I'm not saying that that was the only reason for his decline to kidney failure. I'm just curious If you experience any symptoms after eating or drinking something with a sugar substitute? I just want to get as much information so I can effectively help Tink. Thanks again.

CC

• shamus
    shamus

I will post the link on this thread when I get home to the Hypoglycemia Assosiation of Australia... very very interesting read! If you want to know what causes it, and why you need to be on a special diet! Very cool!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    At the bottom of the page in big bold letters was a warning that sugar free does not mean OK for Hypoglycemics or Diabetics. Aspertame is one of the most popular sugar substitutes. It is made from fruit extracts and is very concentrated. It reacts the same as regular sugar or carbs on your Pancreas. Do you get any of your symptoms after eating something with this type of sugar substitute in it?

Yanno, CC? I never noticed....I drink diet Coke, but don't "pig out" on it.....however...it's certainly something to consider....thanks for the "heads up", CC!

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit