Hypoglycemic, are you?

by Tinkerbell4125 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Are any of you hypoglycemic or do you know someone that is?

I've felt yucky lately and I've changed my diet. CC and I think that I may have hypoglysemia. I'm going to see a doctor and have some test run, but in the meantime, I've completely stopped my sugar intake. I've been doing some research and it seems that all the symptoms could be easily mistaken for someone with depression or bi-polar! I've been taking anti-depressants for some time, and to think that all I had to do was change my diet! My father was diabetic, so I feel it's important that I take care of this. Can anyone relate to this?

Gawd, I miss chocolate!

Tink

• Gadget
    Gadget

I have something like that, although the doctors never worked out what it was. If I go too long without food I start getting stomach cramps, then start feeling light headed and eventually keel over. I now make sure I've got plenty food with me most of the time, and instead of having heavy meals I eat lightly, but add in mid morning and afternoon snacks and supper on top of my 3 meals. I'm ussually ok now as long as I stick to that.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Hey Tink!!!

Well... I _used_ to be hypoglycemic... when I was a teen and living at home. My mom started reading all about this, and it seems that almost everyone in the household had it. (Okay, perhaps an exxageration, but I know my older sis was eating grapes, and other natural foods. I also think it was the latest 'fad' to be hypoglycemic.)

I remember back then... the only test they had for detecting hypoglycemia was 8 hours long and involved drinking a really sweet cup of sugary syrup... *yuck*!!

Then they took blood samples every hour for 6 or 7 hours after that. No food in the meantime.

By the end of the day, they may have had their blood samples, but I was about to pass out.

Yeah - I had hypoglycemia.

I was also only 120 pounds in weight, and could not skip a meal or I would get dizzy spells. (I'd get them anyway.)

Nowadays, I seem to do okay... haven't been tested lately... but feel better and don't think I am as susceptible as I used to be. (Don't get dizzy... well, not as much.)

If you need to - go and get tested for hypoglycemia. A good diet will help one... anyone... feel much better.

Not much help perhaps... those memories are fading a bit.

Regards,

Jim TX

• ballistic
    ballistic

I have a problem. I've tried wearing loose underwear and taking cold showers but, oh sorry wrong thread.

No seriously, I have a problem with shaking very badly and feeling "empty" around the time I get home from work. No energy to even make dinner. Admittedly I'm still on a calorie controlled diet, and I walk home from work. But I discovered a way to boost my energy as soon as I get in without resorting to chocolate. I drink a "virgin bloody mary" now everyday when I get in from work. The tomatoe juice adds up to only about 50 calories and the spices and chilli peppers in it seem to make my stomach buzz, and absorb it really quickly. I drink it back, sit down for a minute and bingo, blood sugar level back to normal.

• JessieeMay
    JessieeMay

HI Tink, My situation is also very similar. My mother has hypoglycemia. When I was df'ed I was quite depressed and had to deal with loosing my family at 17. I was kicked out of my house and had to learn to cook for myself. So I was not eating properly and had many symptoms. I would pass out when I was hungry, I would turn splochy and start to shake, I would get very weak, I got VERY emotional and Irrational. I would scream and throw things. So I started went to my doctor, she said I was depressed from loosing my family and that I was having panic attacks. She perscribed Paxil for me. It did not change anything except that I passed out more often. I later found out that this doctor liked JW's and did not like the fact that I was df'ed. I went to another doctor and it turns out that I am hypoglycemic. I have heard of a few situations where paxil was perscribed and in fact the people were not depressed but hypoglycemic. Hope this helps.

Jessiee

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

For everyone here who thinks they may have hypoglycemia, I've had it for years (diagnosed properly). The only valid test is the 5 to 6 hr glucose test.....the bottom line for safe blood sugar level is 50...when mine gets down to 75, I get light-headed, slur words and feel ready to "bottom out" or "crash".....and as a matter of fact, about 15 yrs ago I had a car accident because I went from my night job to my pt day job with only a cup of coffee and orange juice in me....oj raises the blood sugar, but coffee plunges it, so it was a recipe for blood sugar disaster and I passed out behind the wheel of my car, while sitting up behind the wheel with my eyes wide open (lights on, nobody home)...head on collision....

Whatever yall do, always carry a bottle of Chromium tablets or capsules with you alla time....if you're feeling shaky, trembly, weak, dizzy or light-headed, take a couple....it only takes about 10 minutes to balance your blood sugar out...high protein snacks help and a hi-protein/lo-carb diet is the answer...eating small meals 6 times a day (approx. every 2.5 to 3 hrs....) and exercise daily....

Sugary foods in your diet and carbs will only make you feel lousy and cotton-headed and cranky. If you are diagnosed with hypoglycemia, DO watch your diet....not taking care of yourself in this condition only allows it to get worse faster...and it will get worse.

Frannie B

• Gadget
    Gadget

In 1998 I kept going dizzy, feeling sick, getting the shakes and passing out. I had my driving licence taken off me for quite a while because of it. I was at the hospital every week for 6 months getting allsorts of tests done, including the one Franny mentioned, brain scans(I can prove I've got a brain, can you?) etc, but they couldn't find anything reason for what was happening. In the end their only advice was to keep eating 6 meals a day and to come back when that stopped working. So although I've never been diagnosed, I have all the symptoms and thats what the dr's use to describe it.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

WOW, interesting replies! Thanks guys for you input! This diet is HARD, you can't hardly find anything that doesn't have sugar in it!!! That really limits you!!!

Frannie, where do you get your chromium tablets? Do you get them at a health food store, or can I get them at some place like Krogers?

Ballistic, you're funny! I'm gonna try the virgin bloodly mary!

I've been reading alot on the internet about how it works and the foods that I should eat and shouldn't eat. No caffine, no alcohol,

no ice cream! CC knew of someone that was hypoglycemic, so he is really able to help me alot! Maybe I'll lose some weight on this! Now that would be great!

Any good snack ideaa???? Recipies???? Favorite meals???? Do's and dont's?????

With hypoglycemia, are you at high risk of becoming diabetic?

Tink

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Frannie, where do you get your chromium tablets? Do you get them at a health food store, or can I get them at some place like Krogers?

Tink, chromium picolinate is more expensive at a health food store, so I just go to the least expensive grocery store here (HEB) and get a bottle for 3 or 4 bucks from their vitamin shelf. :)

I've been reading alot on the internet about how it works and the foods that I should eat and shouldn't eat. No caffine, no alcohol,

Coffee's okay as long as you don't overdo it (3 or 4 cups daily MAX) and keep your diet balanced. It's when you do something really wonderful like indulge in donuts with coffee or even have nothing but OJ and coffee (natural sugar or refined, doesn't matter), the coffee works to cause your gland to produce more insulin, which works against the sugary product and plummets your blood sugar within an hour or two.....

no ice cream! CC knew of someone that was hypoglycemic, so he is really able to help me alot! Maybe I'll lose some weight on this! Now that would be great!

Ahhhh, Tink....but they DO have sugar-free icecream now....you just hafta look for it....heheheheh

Any good snack ideaa???? Recipies???? Favorite meals???? Do's and dont's?????

Tink, Dr. Atkins has a great recipe book....I love those already cooked cheeseburger patties you can buy at Walmart...I heat 'em up and put Gulden's mustard, dill relish, tomato slices and top with lettuce....and Walmart has those already cooked sausage patties you can nuke for breakfast with scrambled eggs....those string cheese sticks are good for a snack....so is a handful of walnuts...they even have sugar-free Jello and pudding mixes now....YEEHAAA!

With hypoglycemia, are you at high risk of becoming diabetic?

There's not a lot of info out there on this particular aspect of hypoglycemia, Tink, but I've given it some serious consideration.....it seems to me that if one's gland is over-producing insulin for a lengthy period of time, which causes hyPOglycemia (insulin plummets blood sugar), the gland would eventually wear out and go defunct, which would in turn cause one to have hyPERglycemia (diabetes, since lack of insulin which controls blood sugar levels, would allow blood sugar to escalate off the charts). As proof of my thoughts on this, my older sister has actually gradually segued from years of being hyPOglycemic to the beginning signs of diabetes. JMHO.

Frannie B

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Frannie, how were you feeling when you became hypoglycemic? Were you dizzy alot? Headaches? I feel like my brain is having a swing dance!

I've got an appointment in the morning at the hospital to have some blood test run. Fun Fun!!!!

I just want to get to feeling better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit