• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/7274123.htm

Posted on Sun, Nov. 16, 2003

LAW ENFORCEMENT: Thief River Falls man missing since Tuesday
    Kin, friends continue to search
    By Stephen J. Lee
    Herald Staff Writer

Family, friends and fellow congregation members will search likely locations in Thief River Falls today, looking for a man missing since Tuesday.

Jordan John Knox, 21, last was seen early Tuesday evening in Thief River Falls, where he had been working, said Jim Haugen, chief of police in Thief River Falls.

"We don't suspect foul play at this time," Haugen said Saturday. He met Friday in Thief River Falls with members of Knox's family. The family members, including Knox's parents, who live in Iowa, will meet today with members of the local Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in the Kingdom Hall where Knox attended.

They will coordinate a search of areas in the city where Knox may have been, Haugen said - "Just to see if he slipped or had an accident."

Knox is described as 6 feet, 2 inches tall and 165 pounds, with sandy blond hair. He last was seen wearing a brown Carharrt jacket and "possibly seen walking with a black canvas duffel bag" between 8 and 9 p.m. Tuesday in Thief River Falls, according to the Web site of the Pennington County Sheriff's Office: www.penningtonsheriff.org.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/7287979.htm

Posted on Tue, Nov. 18, 2003

MINNESOTA: Body identified as missing TRF man

By Stephen J. Lee, Herald Staff Writer

The body of a man found Sunday near Thief River Falls was identified Monday as that of the man who went missing a week ago.

Jordan Knox, 21, had been missing since Nov. 11. Although previous searches had turned up nothing, family, friends and law enforcement officers made a concerted effort Sunday afternoon to find some sign of Knox.

His body was found late afternoon Sunday in a heavily wooded area just outside the southeast corner of Thief River Falls, law enforcement officials said Monday. Authorities said they do not suspect foul play.

A preliminary autopsy report was returned Monday from the Ramsey County coroner's office but had not been reviewed, so no official cause of death was released.

Knox moved to Thief River Falls from Iowa and had been working for the railroad and attending the local Kingdom Hall, said Steven Spilde.

Spilde is secretary of the Kingdom Hall in Thief River Falls, which is the local congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

"He's been in our congregation for maybe a year, a year and a half," Spilde said. "He moved up here from Iowa."

Knox's parents live in Iowa, and they and other family members were in Thief River Falls over the weekend to take part in the searches.

Spilde said Jehovah's Witnesses from Thief River Falls and surrounding communities, including East Grand Forks, Bagley, Minn., and Roseau, Minn., searched Sunday for Knox.

"We did a fairly thorough search, from about 1:30 to 5:30 (p.m.) on Sunday," Spilde said.

Spilde said the congregation and family of Knox appreciated the cooperation of the community in allowing property to be searched Sunday across Thief River Falls.

A Minnesota State Patrol helicopter had flown over the area more than once, but officials could not see into the woods well enough to spot the body, said Jim Haugen, Thief River Falls chief of police.

Monday, police and sheriff's officers searched the area again and retrieved personal effects of Knox, Haugen said.

Knox last was seen on the evening of Nov. 11 in Thief River Falls, walking with a duffel bag and wearing a brown jacket.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Nathan,

What are the local radio and TV pundits positing as the reason for death, if the authorities do not suspect foul play? Suicide?

Very sad.

out

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Outnfree,

There is a lot to be gleaned from what the police said, and what they didn't say.

A. They said they did not suspect foul play.

B. I think that leaves either an accident or suicide as the only alternatives.

Let's watch developments over the next few days.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

How very sad. A young man with a life ahead of him. What's the possibility of getting his parents address and sending them a card?

Guest 77

• Panda
    Panda

Oh god this is so sad. Probably no one knew him well enough to know about his feelings. A few years ago a young friend of ours shot himself and we just kept wondering what we missed and how3 did we not see his depression? Such a young man and so unhappy that only death will suffice.

• wildfire
    wildfire

this makes me soo very sad ,,, the youth are in so much pain,,I have a son who is 23 ,, and sick with a mental illness,, he has no friends.. (since he was da 3 yrs ago ) and spent time in prison because of his illness..... ( a really long and sad story ) ......if this was a suicide.... where was his support system.... his family..... his congregation ....????? out in service trying to save all the lost ones........when many of the lost ones are right in the congregation...??? I have heard of soo many young ones... feeling soo alone ,,,, I live close to where this happened and it touches my heart to tears..... I feel so for the family,,, i have a poem i think is appropriate for this sad situation called TIME TO HEAL ;;;;;;;THE LESS BROKEN HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE MORE BROKEN,,BUT WHERE DO WE FIT IN .... A LOOK, A SIGH, A CHANCE TO BEGIN,,,, TO SEE THE PAIN INSIDE,,,,TO CARE WITHOUT COMMITTMENT,,, TO COMMITT WITHOUT A CARE...DARE WE SAY WE WILL BE THERE,,, TO CALM OUR BROTHERS FEARS.....DON'T JUDGE ME FOR THE WAY I SEEM,,,, THE MASK I WEAR IS REAL....JUST REALIZE THAT FOR ALL ITS WORTH.........THE BROKEN NEED TIME TO HEAL thanks for listening to my poem ,,,, i write to make sense out of what makes no sense in this world....

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.trftimes.com/archive/111903/search_ends_for_missing_tr.htm

Search ends for missing TRF man
    by April Scheinoha

Reporter

The search for a missing 21-year-old Thief River Falls man has ended. Family members identified a body that was found Sunday as that of Jordan John Knox.

Searchers found Knox's body hanging from a tree near 158th Street Northeast, approximately three-fourths of a mile from Highway 59 in Rocksbury Township, at about 4 p.m. Sunday. The discovery ended a four-day search for Knox, who had been reported missing Nov. 12.

Knox's body has been taken to the Ramsey County Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy. Thief River Falls Police Chief Jim Haugen noted that preliminary autopsy results indicated that Knox died from asphyxia by hanging. Haugen commented that the preliminary autopsy does not include toxicology results.

Since the body was found in the county, that portion of the case is now in the hands of the Pennington County Sheriff's Department. Sheriff Mike Hruby remarked that the case remains under investigation.

"We aren't ready to rule it a suicide yet," said Hruby. He stated that several things that need to be addressed before the official cause of death could be determined. When asked to what he was referring, Hruby declined to comment.

Prior to the discovery of Knox's body, over 100 people had looked for him throughout the city of Thief River Falls Sunday afternoon. Area law enforcement, family members, friends and volunteers went door-to-door asking residents if they had seen Knox or anything suspicious. They also checked for any evidence of Knox.

That search was the most extensive of those coordinated by area law enforcement and Knox's family, friends and fellow church members.

On Friday, about 40 people searched a wooded area behind Knox's church, Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Larry Mogen, a fellow church member, remarked that they decided to examine that area because they knew Knox liked to walk there.

Mogen and the others, who included Knox's brother and one of his sisters, also searched a route they suspected he may have traveled to work Nov. 11.

In addition, a Minnesota State Patrol helicopter was used Friday to conduct an aerial search.

The Red Lake River was searched Thursday. The Pennington County Dive Team investigated an area about halfway between the Third Street bridge and the Eighth Street bridge. The appearance of several unusual spots on the river led the team to conduct a search and rescue operation. Afterward, it was determined that the spots were created by geese.

Throughout the four days Knox was missing, Haugen commented that the department had a lot of help from Knox's family members and fellow church members. "We had great cooperation from the family and the church," he said.

Knox's father, brother and one of his sisters were among those looking for Knox. The Iowa residents arrived in Thief River Falls Nov. 12. Knox's mother and other sister remained in Iowa.

Haugen added that the department appreciated the help the community provided in finding the Iowa native.

Knox's family and friends also valued the time law enforcement and the community spent attempting to locate Knox.

"Law enforcement has been doing a good job in trying to find him," said Josh Kinsman, one of Knox's close friends, before Knox was found.

Knox had been reported missing after he had failed to arrive at work the evening of Nov. 11. The next morning, his employer, Canadian Pacific Rail, alerted the Thief River Falls Police Department.

Investigator Tim Miller commented that Knox's employer had noted that it was unusual for Knox to fail to show up for work. In fact, Miller noted, Knox was a conscientious employee who usually showed up for work 20 minutes early.

The last time anyone had heard from Knox was around 7 p.m. Nov. 11. At that time, he had received a phone call from the Minneapolis dispatch office of CP Rail. According to a police report, the dispatcher had called Knox to ask him to report to work in two hours, and Knox had accepted the call.

After being notified that Knox was missing, police officers went to his residence. Knox's vehicle was found parked in his garage, but a black duffle bag in which he usually carried work clothes was missing.

According to Knox's younger brother, Knox moved to Thief River Falls in October 2002. Prior to that time, he had lived for a short time in New York City. Kidron Knox commented that his brother liked this area after doing some witnessing work for his church here.

About 40 people searched a wooded area near Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses for Jordan John Knox on Friday. Two days later, Knox's body was found in Rocksbury Township. In all, over 100 people joined in the search.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

This is sickening. I feel sorry for the guy and wonder what made him so depressed as to commit suicide. That is, if it was suicide, which it looks that way.

• myself
    myself

That is so sad. Many jw's helped to search for him, wonder how many will bail out on his funeral if it is a suicide. His poor family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit