Ethics and etiquet

by Loris 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Loris
    Loris

I am relatively new to the internet thing. I need to know if it is ok to devulge an e-mail message from someone and put it on the forum. I am not sure at what point it becomes a betrayal of trust. He has not said that it is secret info but it is perhaps personal. The information would be of interest to XJW's as it reveals some inside stuff about one of the scandals. I do not know why this person chose to communicate with me. Maybe being the elderly grandmother type doesn't scare him.

So give me some rules of etiquet here.

Loris

• blondie
    blondie

I would email them and ask if it is okay.

Blondie

• Dansk
    Dansk
    The information would be of interest to XJW's as it reveals some inside stuff about one of the scandals.

What information?

Blondie is absolutely right, though! You really do need to ask the sender's permission.

Ian

• Sassy
    Sassy

I have always made it a rule out of courtesy not to give out someones phone number or email address without permission. An exception regarding an email might be if they publicly already have it on a website for any public to see. However if the only reason you have it, is because that person wrote you, you should ask permission before sharing.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

The easy litmus test is to turn it around and see how you would feel if the situation was reversed.

Asking permission is always preferred.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I'd post it with their social security number attached.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

LOL, Logansrun!

Loris, I always ask permission to post any part of an email from someone....it's their business I'd be putting "on the street" and they might have reservations or limitations about how they'll allow it to be "passed along"....without their permission and guidance regarding what IS allowed from their email, one would stand a change of doing irreparable harm to more than one person and/or relationship.

Frannie B

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

Treat it as you would a personal letter. Would you post that on a noticboard for us all to read?

Sounds fascinating 'though!

• Loris
    Loris

I got his e-mail address from his web site. I have gotten several responses from him. It is the latest letter I received from him that I am in question about. He seems to be opening up to me in a way that has taken me off guard. I would like to share the info but would that be unethical?

Loris

• onacruse
    onacruse

Loris, I agree with the others that posting personal messages, in part or whole, on an open db without expressed consent is generally considered unethical.

The only exception I can think of is when exposing such a message would prevent imminent harm; for example, there are adult "pedophiliac hunters" that deliberately set themselves out on the Net as being young kids, some perv takes the bait, and bingo! IP searches are done, e-addy's traced back, and the entire chat log and personal info of the perv is posted.

I certainly hope that the "off guardedness" you feel about these e-mails is not because you're feeling threatened.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit