Is My Wife Awakening?

by My Name is of No Consequence 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Every now and then, my wife will talk about how things are not making sense within the org. I usually just dismiss it as her playing mind games with me. For example, she would ask why there are so many branches being closed or why so many congregations are being merged. I would just smile and tell her that growth is virtually non-existent in many parts of the world and that there is no need for so many branches and congregations. I usually just leave it at that, a vanilla and non-apostate response.

Yesterday was different. I came home from work and almost immediately, she started talking about how former Bethelites are coming back disgruntled and how pioneers are dismayed because no one is helping them within the congregation. I explained that there isn’t a need for so many Bethelites now because of technology and the internet. You don’t need hundreds of people running printing presses anymore. (Note how I avoided an apostate response. I just used simple reasoning.)

She also said that many witnesses are upset about the various mergers and dissolutions of circuits and congregations and are having a hard time adjusting. (This is the point where I tested the waters a bit with her.) I asked her how can the org say that there is so much growth when circuits and congregations are being merged and dissolved? When was the last time a new kingdom hall was built within a 50 mile radius of our home? I told her that I would have much more respect for the org if they were just straight with the witnesses and said that we are doing this to save resources. Nope. The org treats the witnesses like they are ignorant and don’t have access to information.

She wasn’t done. She talked about the child abuse issues and the “two witness rule”. My head was spinning! I told her that they are not going to change that rule because they would set themselves up for even more lawsuits, in my opinion.

We talked for several more minutes and ended with us hugging (something that we hardly ever do). As I walked up the stairs I said jokingly, “let me know if they ask you to get on a bus to Jonestown, I mean Warwick!” She responded (perhaps jokingly), “you’re an apostate!”

I guess I have some more work to do!

• never a jw
    never a jw

You are living with an apostate in the making. Run...together

• Ding
    Ding

Understatement usually works best.

The important thing is for her to open up and voice what she's seeing and feeling... even if it's going much slower than you'd like.

Also, don't be surprised if she regresses.

That's just the way it works.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Cheers! that is a great signal. Use it synergistically just like you have so far. Don't be afraid to give gentle tugs whenever the mood is up for it. Keep it inline with the same subjects she's brought up. Don't deviate from it or present anything that is far separated from the issues that seem to matter to her. May be add the fact that because of the "growth" we are supposed to pay for the hall indefinitely? How can that be? Who is keeping all the money if branches and halls are being cut?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That all sounds great!

Don't push, as that can cause their defenses to kick in.

Be prepared for a "relapse" after she attends a Circus Assm or any special event when they hammer in the loyalty propaganda.

Slowly slowly catchee money.

Good luck!

Doc

It was so refreshing for us to have a conversation like that and her not get upset.

• flipper
    flipper

My NAME IS OF NO CONSEQUENCE- Very interesting. Sounds like your wife is having " cracks in her spiritual armor " lol - good for her, seems like she's gradually waking up to reality. You are playing it smart. Don't give her too much, too soon. You're handling it well and I agree with Desirous of Change, don't push as it can cause her cult triggers and phobias to kick in, but honestly answer her questions if she asks your opinion - just be diplomatic in choosing your words carefully while respecting the fact that she's probably really sad and hurting inside within herself that the WT organization lied to her for years.

You are doing well . Keep the good work up buddy. Keep us posted man

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Seeds are clearly growing on fertile soil. Shouldn't be too long before things sprout. A little watering here and there should nurture things nicely.

All the best!

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

I think she is awakening, to answer your question. I'm jealous! The closest I get is that cognitive dissonance thinking expression on my husbands face. He did look up when Russell died and the reign of Rutherford. I was asking him who was the small group in 1919 that was the FDS? He never answered, but started thinking. Maybe I'll bring it up again. He actually said there were some of the GC in 1919. Really? What would happen in 1919 if you didn't partake??? Everyone would, notice how visitors partake now. He didn't answer, but had the CD (cog dis) look. Anyway, I digress.

Congratulations noconsequence. Keep asking questions and try not to share facts. It's hard. Maybe prepare mentally for regression and one last bit of zealousness, but I hope not.

Thanks for sharing. I'm in a similar circumstance and it gives me hope.

Bless you,

Wakanda

ps: To me the Cog Dis, CD, look is like a crabby thinking look. Like the person is putting together a puzzle and figuring out half the pieces are missing even though their trusted mentor continually tells them that they are all there.

Great comments. She is very intelligent, but when you're trapped within the org, intelligence doesn't really matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit