If you're expecting a mass exodus anytime soon, FORGET ABOUT IT!

by nowwhat? 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Slim: Have you got any evidence that Watchtower has made money from their blood policy or literacy programme?

Oh geez. Here we go again.

The minute something is proposed that doesn't fit in someone's world view, they jump up and down and say "evidence! evidence!". Of course there is no evidence the org has made money from those things. As has been said on here over and over and over again...the org's finances are not transparent.

We know that the org is involved in both blood management and literacy programming. That is without question. That evidence has been presented many times over on this forum.

When a corporation invests in something, that investment indicates a money making opportunity and there is no question that the org has invested in patient blood management. No question. Over the years, they have spent lot$$$$ of money promoting their brand of medicine. At least, until they turned that activity over to prominent bloodless JWs and the SABM. And as well, they have invested in literacy. Even got awards for it.

How much has the org made? No idea. Have they profited? How much? Again, no idea.

Open the books. I will answer your question.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Phizzy - "If, as Orphan Crow postulates, the guys at the top of the Borg want to pare it down, and only have loyal ones remaining, they have a great problem in how to accomplish that."

I don't think it would be as difficult as you suggest.

Simply act steadily more authoritarian, defiant of the secular authorities, and impose even more draconian (and cultish) rules on the rank-and-file, further alienating the remaining moderates, intellectuals, creative types, and out-of-the-box thinkers (like us)...

...and provide incentives to the remaining hard-core loyalists (of whom I'm sure there are far fewer) in the form of easier duties (trolly and park-table witnessing), positions of power in the congregations, and the dangled carrot of a possible future cushy gig at the Warwick compound.

I call it "managing the decline".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That's just my point Vid, unlikely they would dare take any other route. Even so, though the implementation of the crafty plan may not be hard, they are still taking a risk.

The older JW's have all assumed that Jehoobers blessing upon the Org will manifest itself in growth, now, we can all imagine how they will spin the dwindling numbers as "sifting" or whatever, but even so, more JW's may well wake up and leave than they bargain for.

I do hope so.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There’s a lot of evidence to show Watchtower made money from publishing. We’ve even got some of the financial planning documents and internal letters. Not to mention the physical evidence of the books themselves and how the quality was reduced after charges were stopped.

I don't know any evidence of any kind that Watchtower has benefitted financially from blood doctrine or literacy programmes. When you say they invested, do you mean when congregations bought cell saver machines for hospitals? I think that got them (or so they imagined) good publicity. I don’t see how they made any money from it.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I know someone that went to bethel back in the early 80s he said they were making money off the printing something like it cost them only about a 10-20% of what the householders were charged.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Crazy guy - I remember when I was awakening to TTATT, talking to an uber elder who was also accounts servant. I recall him saying that there was no way that the congregation was covering the cost of the literature. For what was coming in the congregation was only sending a couple of hundred bucks.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    There's a letter from the Society from the early 1990s saying that contributions since the literature charges were dropped were disappointing. A few years later hardcover books were changed to paperbacks and magazine subscriptions and individual orders stopped. Then the literature was gradually reduced, to the point where there's little left.
  • steve2
    steve2

Ultimately, the “disappearance” of hard copy JW literature has far more to do with the internet and downloading than the demise of JW organization. Even once widely circulated newspapers have been hit extremely hard by the internet, with many of them focusing more on e-version newspapers.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Steve 2: If there was still a dollar to be made in publishing Wt would still be beating the drum on how evil the Internet is. I remember giving a bible reading from a computer print out, I was counselled directly from the platform as to how much more spiritual it is to read gods word from the pages of the bible. What a total crock of shit. When I mentioned this to a relative of mine I was given a dear in the headlights look, was labeled as an apostate and was told they never said that. Yah just can't win mate, yah just can't win.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Wow I never had a post get so much mileage. The main point is that on the jdub rank and file level in the U.S. they are still clueless and oblivious as to what's going on in other countries. It is going to take a major news outlet in prime time For the word to get out about the pedophile cover up by the org. And then it will be the 1st time most will hear of any problem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit