HOMEWORK AND KIDS?

by morty 24 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

IS IT ME OR....................DO YOU THINK OUR CHILDREN ARE BEING OVERWHELMED WITH ALL THE EXTRA HOMEWORK THEY ARE RECIEVING FROM SCHOOL NOW?

I HAVE 2 KIDS. ONE BEING 15 AND THE OTHER BEING 12. I JUST FIND THAT THE HOMEWORK LOAD IS SO MUCH, COMPARED TO WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL.I MEAN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT AT LEAST 2 HOURS FOR MY OLDEST SON AND 1-2 HOURS FOR THE YOUNGEST. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO OUR TEACHERS TEACHING THEM IN CLASS?IT SEEMS THERE IS MORE AND MORE CUT BACKS THEN VOLUNTARY HELP.I JUST FIND IT HARD THESE DAYS FOR A TEACHER TO DO ANYTHING EXTRA.I FEEL THE TEACHERS PUT ALOT OF PREASURE ON THE PARENTS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE STUDENTS KNOW AND UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY HAVE TAUGHT.YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS MATTER?

MORTONS68

• Panda
    Panda

IMHO Homework is dumb. What should be taught should be taught in school. That's what teachers aides are for, to help in class with work. Did you know that it only takes about 50 hrs to teach a child to read. Yet the school system takes 3yrs (or more). I now tutor math at our public library, I am amazed at how easily the students do their work with just a little bit of encouragement. Children should not have homework.

Panda

• JeffT
    JeffT

Actually I think the reverse would be better. The school my youngest son went to was a specialized program where they went two days a week, got all the assignments and went home and worked. After a year of that he got his GED at sixteen and started college.

• morty
    morty

PANDA......I DO BELIEVE SOME,AND I MEAN SOME HOMEWORK IS NEEDED,BUT HOURS IS RIDICULOUS.WITH PRETTY MUCH BEING A SINGLE MOM.(BECAUSE THEIR DAD DRIVES TRUCK LONG HAUL) WORKING , RUNNING A HOUSEHOLD, GETTING THE KIDS TO THEIR NIGHTLY COMMITMENTS,(HOCKEY).I JUST THINK IT IS TOTALLY UNFAIR TO PUT THAT MUCH BURDEN ON THE PARENTS AND KIDS. I BELEIVE IT IS THEIR JOB TO TEACH AND HELP THE CHILDREN IF THEY NEED THE HELP,NOT OURS HAS PARENTS!

MORTONS68

• simplesally
    simplesally

From about 7th grade on, and I went to Catholic school, we had 2 hours of homework and the parents were told to expect it. We did our homework before ANYTHING else. Mom had a snack ready then we did homework, then could play for about an hour. Sometimes, Mom would let us play ahead of time if she saw the homework and knew we could get it done after dinner. High school though, we had breaks that we would start on it early then go to work and then home and then spend til 11 or 12 doing our homework.

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

A lot of homework, and tonight they came home upset because one of the teachers yelled in class because most of the class wasn't participating in an extra activity this teacher is doing after school hours. The kids response was that they didn't have time because of all the homework they have he in return said it was no excuse and yelled more. How can the students learn respect if they don't receive it??

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

There is just so much kids have to learn . So much new knowledge. To be globally competitive, these kids have to cover the material in elementry, junior high and high school, so they will be ready to take on the challenges of tech school, college or university. I have a Science Degree, and found that my son covered some of the chemistry and biology in high school, that I learned in university.

As my kids got into high school and university, it re-inforced to me that younger kids do have to just get down to it and learn it well, even if it means missing hockey practise, or dance class. As they get into higher grades there is less and less time for review, and the pace of learning is faster. I would consider 2 hours of homework a night perfectly normal for high school for an academic program. In university, sometimes you can expect double or triple that.

There is just too much increasingly complicated material to cover daily without the re-inforcement of homework.

Having said that, I agree, it is annoying when teachers give "make work" assignments that aren't teaching anything.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Morton, would you mind not using all caps??

The homework kids in this part of the world have is nothing compared to Asia and even India. It's so competitive to get into the best colleges in those areas. And if you think regular school has a lot of homework, wait until they get to college. It's all part of the preparation.

• Beans
    Beans

Holy YEAH!

I spoke with some of my friends who are teachers and they said the the school KARIKULUM has been bumped right back a whole year! For instance my oldest daughter is in grade 3 and her spelling book has hand written sentences printed in it, the teacher was asking in the homework for the kids to read it. My wife noticed this and sent back a reply "You havent taught them to read writing yet" her reply "Oh yeah I forgot"!

I blame the PC government for these changes, what was wrong with our education and why has it all changed? Before you would hear report after report on how ahead we were in the industrialized nations in education and then who decided we needed a change?

)*&%^$#!()><?

• Valis
    Valis

um homework for youngsters is merely a primer for what is to come. I see college students who don't know how to study or read ahead and prepare for the life of them. It pisses me off more than anything to have to teach grown people critical thinking and study skills. Something they all would have learned if they had sat down for a couple hours every day and tried to learn something and exercise the brain a bit....I could and will go on if provoked further...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Acrimonious Academics" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit