Hello everyone 😊

by SuperMarioDiMaggio 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• SuperMarioDiMaggio
    SuperMarioDiMaggio

I was a Jehovah's Witnesses for 15 years (1983-1998) in Pietermaritzburg and Durban, South Africa. I was baptised in 1985; appointed a ministerial servant in 1987 (aged 21); refused military service on religious grounds in 1989 (served a three year Community Service sentence) and was appointed an elder in 1993 (aged 26).
    I wrote to the Governing Body in Brooklyn four times between 1992-97, respectfully questioning the nonsense they were publishing about science and evolution (you can see all my correspondence and their hilarious replies here: http://bit.ly/jw-md-letters ). I finally disassociated myself in 1998 and life has been a WHOLE lot better since πŸ˜„

If any ex-JWs on here knew me back in South Africa, do pop by and say hello 😊

Mario Di Maggio
  • Magnum
    Magnum

Hey! Thanks for posting. I downloaded the material in the link you provided. Briefly looked over and I think it's going to provide for some interesting reading.

Thanks again.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

Hello Mario, I see that you are a thinking person. So am I but I believe still in the Bible.

I would like to say about the flood. The Bible says that after the flood winter and summer would occur. That means that before the flood it was warm year round. And people could cultivate year round and survive without meat. Adam and Eve were also naked until they took the forbidden fruit. So it was warm year round. So only a world wide flood could had changed the climate for all the earth.

Would you not agree?

• benny
    benny

Hello Mario. I was an elder in Pietermaritzburg from from 85 to 88 then moved to Capetown. I disassociated in December last year after 40 years. Many doubts and questions in last 10 years

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

@Kosonen

You say that you are a thinking person. What convinces you that the Noah flood occurred?

Do you believe that Noah got all the species of the world into an ark ?

So, Noah and only 8 of his family were righteous in the whole world ?

Is a global flood an efficient method to wipe out the Evil people of the earth? Its like flooding the house to kill the bugs.

Why doesn’t the Scientific community accept that a flood occurred some 4000 Years ago. But they do admit that an ice age happened some 40,000 years ago.

Sorry SuperMarioDiMaggio , your topic got diverted. But I am just curious why people who left a cult still believe in a most improbable story

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Welcome Mario,

I love to read correspondence with the GB and it's minions like yours. The logical way that you build your arguments is devastating. The lame attempts at answering your points are not worthy of the time reading them.

How do they continue to defend the indefensible? There is no answer to most of your research and clear view of the flood myth and the creation story.

Good stuff!

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

EverApostate; "So, Noah and only 8 of his family were righteous in the whole world ?"

Unfortunately at that time because of Jehovah God's kindness and generosity and liberalism He had made it possible for people to live about 900 years in warm nice climate. But that evidently just gave people more time to harden in their sins and wickedness to the extent that only 8 persons were willing to obey God.

In addition God allowed angels to go against His will and come down to earth and live here. And that only accelerated the wickedness on earth.

So to change all He brought a world wide flood to change all. To make life harder on earth with scorching summers and iceing winters. And he removed the moisture in the atmosphere that protected the earth. I think that lead to a greater cosmic radiation that shortened the lifespan of people. Maybe under the crust of the earth there was also a layer of water that protected from radiation from earth's center.

Yes, in fact usually when people live trouble free life they loose their interest in God. So all the harder life conditions and shorter life span has helped humanity to stay interested about God and his will.

Sad that we humans need hardships to stay alert against our own sin.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

https://youtu.be/IoTkguzRaCU

This video has some evidence of Noah's Ark.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Hello Mario, welcome to the site and thanks for posting your letters to the GB.

I can identify with your experience since I joined the cult when I was at school in the sixties and left about 1989. I also had curiosity for everything which became stifled by misplaced loyalty to the Watchtower.

As soon as I left I went whole heartedly into making up for wasted time and went to Birkbeck College for a course on paleoanthropology. I read scientific works and joined a university archeological dig to see for myself what the genus Homo was doing in the Old Stone Age. I also joined the Open university and later did other courses at Oxford for mature learners.

I don't know how well one can compensate for the utter waste of time and effort spent on this worthless religion? Your letters truly demonstrate that they have not got a clue as to an academic or scientific appraisal of knowledge. They are content quoting snippets of the Bible to 'prove' a point or to construct JW dogma, it is all so desperately superficial.

This naivete cannot last in the 21st century environment of better education and the cult is in fact is declining in the Western World. For how much longer do we have to put up with it?

(I loved the Mark Twain quote!)

• Half banana
    Half banana

@Kosonen, it is not possible to to confirm a myth by physical evidence. The flood is just a story, it could not possibly have happened, it is made up by the human imagination the same imagination which will 'see' things falling into a pattern if the individual is primed to believe them.

The fact that there are a multitude of flood myths from all over the world indicates an event experienced universally. I suggest that the written flood myths including the Biblical, encapsulate ancient folk tales resulting from events of the climate transition from the very dry late Ice-Age (before 11000 BCE) to the modern comparatively rainy period familiar to us all today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit