Disfellowshipped in Absentia

by HereIgo 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo
    I have heard of this happening before, but how often? Its pretty rare it seems. I have often wondered if the elders would go this route with me since they knew I was actively sinning, but as far as I know, no JC was ever formed. I faded 6 years ago. Thoughts?
  • pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

This is a classic case of control. You cant leave even silently. Because they'll just hold a JC with you not even there, DF you and announce you from the platform.

From what i remember from the elders guidebook, an inactive one turning up to a JC is taken as "respecting the authority of that body"... of course the poor inactive person isnt told that. He could be turning up to be polite.

After 6 years i'd say your safe. I know people who've faded less than a year and are left alone.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

Hey Pale, I personally am definitely not too concerned with it as I really don't have anything to lose since my family is shunning me regardless. The amount of control they have over people is interesting for sure though.

• maksutov
    maksutov

I was deemed to have disassociated myself by my actions (at least I assume so, as they never contacted me at all, but still made an announcement that I was no longer a JW). That was 5 years after I faded. You are never "safe".

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

It all depends on how "zealous" the elders in your hall are whether they go after you or not. I was on elder bodies that didn't do that. They just let it be. In other elder bodies there would be an elder or two who wanted to make sure to keep "Jehovah's Organization" clean and wouldn't stop going after the faded person for years. Always trying to catch them doing something "wrong".

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We have never attended any "invitations" to meetings with elders, yet our name and character has been actively maligned in our whole district.

Witnesses shun us in the extreme.

It makes me wonder whether the local elders did announce something about us?

Maybe they did say so in order to make others shun us?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We have decided if the Elders contact us for a JC, we will request our attorney be present. Any announcement made about us will be sent to an attorney. I will let them know that. From what we understand, they will leave you alone once you threaten legal action. If any on here have done this, let us know how it worked for you.

I believe WT has a lot to worry about with the child abuse issues BUT I think eventually they are going to have to contend with those who seek legal advice as well. There is a storm brewing with the EX JW community!

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@stuckinarut2 I have wondered if that did happen to you and @unstuck. But then I realized, my mother's gossiping allies from your cong would have informed her if that had happened.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I was disfellowshipped in absentia.....

I had moved to another city and had not been to a meeting in a couple of years and they still hunted me down like a wild animal. The elders in my original congregation kept sending me certified letters that I refused to sign for. They would leave messages on my phone of dates and times of committee meetings that they said they would be in attendance of whether I showed or not. I heard through the grape vine that it went through three separate committees and two congregations before they gave up and just read the announcement that I was Df'ed. They then hunted down my elderly parent's congregation, yet in another city to get the news to me through my parents that I had gotten the axe.

....And all I wanted was just to be left alone. Which I eventually achieved.

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2
    I was reinstated and a few months later the elders called me to the KH one evening because they had found what they called "disturbing information" online to do with my past that I hadn't told them about. I was interrogated for 2 hours. After that I stopped going to meetings as I was in shock with their aggressive behaviour towards me. I stood up for myself and they remarked on my bad attiitude. they then wanted to make a J.C. case out of it which I did not turn up for. The place I live in is difficult to find, but a JW window cleaner told them where I was. They turned up on the doorstep and informed me I was disfellowhipped for reasons that were wrong. I did not appeal I didn't think it was worth it. That was over a year ago. :-( x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit