The Motive of the Governing Body

by jwfacts 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have been quiet of late, developing other interests, happy that there are a whole group of people producing great resources. However, I found some old emails from Ray Franz that promoted me to write an article that answers a question I regularly receive. It is in regards to the motive of Governing Body members.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/governing-body-motives.php

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The main objective to the WTS leaders is make an increase in " numbers ", which equates to more subservient mental and physical slaves beholding to these men, which equates to more power and money, the power and glory of God is attained.

....a motive is established

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@jwfacts,

There's a typo in the first sentence of the article ;-)

Btw thank you for your great resource, it has helped me a lot over the years!

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

As always, impeccable work Paul. Refreshing to hear you are pursuing other interests and remarkable that you still found the time and desire to put together and share such informative personal examination of the topic and the perspective of Raymond.

Every JW suffers the same delusions as described vividly of the GB. While the GB are in the highest positions, the organization is designed to make everyone feel there is another rung of the ladder to be achieved. No one is ever doing enough. Always move forward, improve, "reach out". Knowing full well no extra days of everlasting life will come from it.

The higher the position, the greater burden in the mind when doubts creep in. "The harder they fall" as it were.

The GB are painfully ordinary men playing the only game they know at the highest level in full recognition, or at the very least cognitive dissonance, that everything they believe in is in fact complete bullshit.

Do doubt each one of them quietly struggles with their own crisis of conscience.

• Italiancalipso
    Italiancalipso

Thx for sharing! I will read when I have free time from PIMO life

IC

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Without the WTS, the GB would have nothing.

They would be nothing.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    the girl next door - "...The higher the position, the greater burden in the mind when doubts creep in. 'The harder they fall' as it were... The GB are painfully ordinary men playing the only game they know at the highest level in full recognition, or at the very least cognitive dissonance, that everything they believe in is in fact complete bullshit.... No doubt each one of them quietly struggles with their own crisis of conscience..."

You're partly right.

After long observation and thought on the subject, I've come to the conclusion that...

a) ...they know it's wrong... but believe it's true... at the same time (it's called "compartmentalization", and career politicians are particularly skilled at it), and...

b) ...the WTS leadership is able to function that way because (I suspect) authoritarian leaders don't actually feel cognitive dissonance.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Paul, I just read your article. Great piece!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    They undermine their own legitimacy when printing that those making claims to be anointed can be mistaken due to "mental or emotional problems."

'
    I'm sure in their self-absorption this fact escapes them.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Fantastic article, Paul. Very captivating reading....particularly your reminiscences of Ray. Ray holds a special place in all our hearts and we lap up everything he says, regardless of subject. But I think we’re all fixated on the topic of how much of it’s own BS the GB actually believes. It’s probably the number one thing your average exjw thinks about when contemplating our former religion....can they really still believe they are gods true org, whilst at the same time testifying at a Royal Commission into institutional child sex abuse??? How Is that even possible?!

I think Vidiot is right. When he says they are able to justify the chequered history of the org by compartmentalising incompatible beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit