The Man Who Interviewed the Apostles

by TerryWalstrom 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

MEET PAPIAS

If you had lived in the time of the living Apostles of Jesus would you have personally investigated stories about

him? Or, would you simply read whatever was written instead?

There was a man named Papias who made that decision for himself.

He interviewed the Apostles and eye-witnesses while they yet lived and shunned the written word.

He searched for the real story, the true story.

I would like to introduce him to you and tell you of his fate and explain why you have probably NEVER EVEN HAVE HEARD OF HIM!

His name was Papias.

Papias was born around the time of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans or shortly thereafter. He lived in the same century as Jesus and his apostles. He was the sort of man who wants to go to the source rather than rely on hearsay, as others did.

Travelers from outside of his birthplace (Turkey) had brought wonder stories of miracles, teachings and writings about Jesus and his followers which changed Papias into a man driven to investigate how much might be true and learn the details.

He collected sayings, writings and listened to stories before setting out on his own to find as many as were still alive to personally interview those who might tell him all that could be known for certain.

Listen now as Papias tell you what he did in his own words:

“…I formerly learned with care from the (elders) and have carefully stored (what I learned) in memory, giving assurance of its truth… And also if any follower of the presbyters happened to come, I would inquire for the sayings of the presbyters, what said, Andrew or what Peter said, or what Philip or what Thomas or James or what James or Matthew or any other of the Lord's disciples, and for the things which other of the Lord's disciples, and for the things which Aristion and the Presbyter John, the disciples of the Lord, were saying. For I considered that I should not get so much advantage from matter in books as from the voice which yet lives and remains…”

Like a modern investigative reporter from 60 Minutes, Papias sought out first-generation apostles and disciples of Jesus, and sometimes other elders who were hearers of the apostles.

Contemporary scholars such as Helmut Koester consider him to be the earliest surviving written witness of this tradition (Koester, 1990 pp. 32f) Papias also seems to have collected stories regarding the earliest history of the church after Jesus' death.

What an astonishingly significant find! Surely, the writings of Papias must be second in importance only to the bible itself, right?

Get ready to be shocked……..Wrong!

Like the original autograph manuscripts of actual bible writers, so too, Papias’ writings were NOT PRESERVED. They exist only in quotations by other early church fathers!

The Roman Emperor Constantine had his own official biographer, Eusebius, whose Ecclesiatical history is the go-to book for church history by mainstream Christianity.

Remember, it is the Catholic doctrine which shaped modern understanding of the bible, the apostles and what is orthodox!

Eusebius did not like what Papias had written. Not at all!

Why?

Eusebius did not agree with what Papias had written and sought to use ad hominem to destroy his reputation, to minimize him as a thinker and perhaps even eliminate the writings by burning them. We may never know for certain.

Eusebius defamed Papias this way:

“Papias is a man of small mental capacity who mistook the figurative language of apostolic traditions

Why the cutting remarks? Eusebius did not believe in a Millennial reign by Christ upon the earth that would usher in a paradise. So, Eusebius bad-mouthed him when Papias quoted the followers of Jesus as having taught this very thing.

Eusebius says:

Among which he says that there will be a period of some ten thousand years after the resurrection, and that the 
    kingdom of Christ will be set up in material form on this earth. These ideas I suppose he got through a 
    misunderstanding of the apostolic accounts, not perceiving that the things recorded there in figures were spoken by 
    them mystically.

Fortunately, Eusebius quoted some of Papias’ writings and we can stitch together what he said about certain things, such as:

“Mark having become the interpreter of Peter, wrote down accurately whatsoever he remembered. It was not, however, in exact order that he related the sayings or deeds of Christ. For he neither heard the Lord nor accompanied Him. But afterwards, as I said, he accompanied Peter, who accommodated his instructions to the necessities [of his hearers], but with no intention of giving a regular narrative of the Lord's sayings. Wherefore Mark made no mistake in thus writing some things as he remembered them. For of one thing he took especial care, not to omit anything he had heard, and not to put anything fictitious into the statements. Matthew put together the oracles [of the Lord] in the Hebrew language, and each one interpreted them as best he could.

What an insight we’d not have known about were it not for Papias!

What we now call the bible might not be much of anything like writings seen, touched, and experienced by Papias! Eusebius was in a unique position to eliminate anything he Felt would undermine the work of his Council of Nicea (convened to create a single orthodoxy)

There is question whether the documents which Papias knew as the Gospels of Matthew and Mark are even the same ones that we have today!

Papias may well have seen the ORIGINALS, the uncorrupted texts written by the authors themselves! Papias may have written down what they actually said.

Matthew is a narrative, rather than a sayings gospel with commentary, and some scholars reject the thesis that it was originally written in Hebrew at all!

Papias also related a number of traditions that Eusebius had characterized as "some strange parables and teachings of the savior, and some other more mythical accounts.”

The nerve! If you don’t like it—discredit it. Thanks to Eusebius.

Papias also related a tradition on the death of Judas Iscariot, in which Judas became so swollen (Obese, fat, over weight) he could not pass where a chariot could easily and was crushed by a chariot, so that his bowels gushed out.

No known fact is inconsistent with c. 60-135 as the period of Papias's life. Eusebius (3.36) calls him "bishop" of Hierapolis (in Turkey).

It has even been written that Papias might have been the very scribe used by the Apostle John in his own writings!

"The Gospel of John was made known and given to the Churches by John, while he yet remained in the body; as (one) Papias by name, of Hierapolis, a beloved disciple of John, has related in his five exoteric (exegetical?) books; but he wrote down the Gospel at the dictation of John, correctly" (Codex Alexandrinus 14).

What, if anything, can we know for certain about Jesus if all original writings about him were systematically eliminated by men in power (such as Eusebius) who had their own agenda to put forward?

Eusebius was a powerful man having the confidence and the ear of the Roman Christian emperor Constantine. Yet, he may have been alone in considering Papias to be weak minded and confused.

For he evidently was a man of very mean capacity, as one may say judging from his own statements: yet it was owing to him that so many church fathers after him adopted a like opinion, urging in their own support the antiquity of the man, as for instance Irenaeus and whoever else they were who declared that they held like views.

What can be learned from Papias?

1. Honest investigators of the truth about Jesus, his teachings and his followers met with strong opposition by the very men who canonized scripture!
    2. Disagreement between early church fathers was rampant.

3. Nothing original has been preserved beyond fragmentary quotations.

Jehovah's Witness have built a massive and tedious theology around what they call "inerrant scripture".

But, historically, no uncorrupt autograph manuscripts have been allowed to survive. Even interviews and quotations by honesty investigators have been suppressed by the early church.

Isn't it time we acknowledge that the Christian religion today is a massive compilation of opinion, interpretation and "official" storytelling which cannot

proof text any orthodoxy at all?

Investigate for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

**Papias was also disliked because he stood in the way of the tradition that John the son of Zebedee wrote the gospel of John. The John of Ephesus that he personally knew was not John the disciple of the Lord, as he distinguished John the "elder" from John the apostle. Moreover, he reported the tradition that the two sons of Zebedee died early in Jerusalem (the gospel of Mark appears to imply similarly that the two sons would be martyred in ch. 10, and Mark was likely written in the late 60s).

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I have never trusted, and will never trust, the catholic church. Ever. 

(No offense to any catholics)

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I agree with you Terry.  I have also done my own research on that subject. For instance, Papias said that Matthew wrote in Hebrew language a collection of sayings. This seemed to be the Gospel used by Nazarenes and Hebionites, who were christians that rejected the divinity of Jesus, regarding him only as the Messiah. Nevertheless, Jerome, an "orthodox" church father at the end of the fourth century wrote that most christians believed that that Gospel used by these sects was the original one written by Matthew. And if you read Jerome's and Eusebius' quotations from that Gospel you will notice that many statements differ from that of the greek version of Matthew's Gospel. So it means that many christians of the fourth century were not convinced of the authenticity of greek version of the Matthew's Gospel that we currently have.

But we have only to read the current version of  Matthew's Gospel to know that Matthew could not write it.  For instance, we read in Matthew the following:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19)

Jesus could not command that, because if it were true, gentiles would have been baptized as early as Jesus died, and we know that it happened after some inner debates in the Church. And we read from the book of Acts that Peter was primarily reticent for baptizing Cornelius. So it shows that the author of Matthew 28:19 could not be a direct disciple of Jesus. This is also an example of the many words that Jesus did not say which appear in the Gospels.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Terry, thank you for that post. I appreciate the effort you put into it. You remind me of Leolaia.
  • opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    ....And we have to think the following. Paul said that Christ is the head of the Church. But if the Gospels contradict themselves, how could it be that Christ is the head of a Church which compiled contradictory accounts of him?. For instance, the fourth Gospel says that the last supper was the day before the passover, while the three others tell us that it was the day of the passover. But if Matthew and John were direct disciples of Jesus, the two must agree in the same date for the last supper. But they disagree, so this is another way to know that one of them was not an eye witness of Jesus, or the two simply were not.  Thus, the Gospels are not reliable, accordingly, the writers of the Gospels were not guided by the same "spirit". ..........However,  millions of persons still believe that the NT is the word of God, and people like the Witnesses live a life under the delusion of the "inerrancy of the Scriptures".
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I thank you terry and opusdei1972 for this post , it is very enlightening , I dont suppose we will ever see a WT article on it .

It always puzzled me why the wt accepted the bible cannon of the 3/4th century by apostates of Christianity , that they claim , I would have thought they would have accepted a few more writings that were abundant at the time just to distinguish themselves from Christendom .

smiddy

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

@opusdei & Smiddy

knowledge of the culture accounts for that discrepancy. Passover was celebrated as the festival of unleavened bread, and was a seven day observance. The first day and last days were the most special, but here is where it gets confusing for us looking back: technically, the 15th of Nisan (first day of Passover) began on the 14th after dusk. I can look that up for you all if you need, I have a reference I'd need to find in a book I have about the Jewish culture. 

So that is why if you look in the accounts of Matthew and mark, it'll say it began on the first day of the festival of unleavened bread. This is not the same as Passover, but was the day the Passover sacrifice was "customarily" offered. Luke 22:21 explains this day was CALLED Passover, but it wasn't actually Passover. Not until dusk, at which point the next day begins. 

also, technically John doesn't say they observed the meal the day before, it says Christ knew the day before "the festival" of the Passover - not the day before Passover (John 13:1). Whereas Matt 26:2 shows Jesus saying "two days from now IS PASSOVER". The difference here is this: the festival began on the 14th, the Passover sacrifice was offered, and families prepared to celebrate the Passover after dusk (which according to the Jewish calendar was the beginning of the next day. The 15th, which was Passover). So where matthew wrote Christ saying Passover was in two days would have been Nisan 13th. Where John wrote that he knew the day before the festival would have been a reference to the 13th, saying that he knew (compare matt 26:2), but john was not saying they observed Passover on a different day, only that Jesus knew before Passover that his "hour had come."

I know now that's confusing but it's true.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Of course religions like the JWS never bring out this investigative information, they are more consumed in creating a believable notion that the bible writings are divinely inspired, the word of god so to speak and they themselves are connected to that spiritual power force. You would indirectly ruin that impressing notion if you started to talk about well these writings were derived from questionable sources.

Christianity has its own inherent corruption within its formative roots to what was to be selectively written and how it was to be interpreted right from its very beginning.   

Just to point how religions are so careful about revealing who actually wrote the words in the bible and when its was written, particularly the New Testament, the JWs never mentioned that the NT was written decades after the supposed events.  

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

Also addressing the comment about matt 28. To say he didn't say that is an assumption without proof. We can say it's possible, but we'll never know for sure any more than we'll know for sure any of it happened. 

The argument can therefore be made that the disciples may have thought he meant the Jews all over the diaspora who had moved and settled abroad - of which there were a great many. It is, actually, very probable this is what they thought and the reason why there was some descention about whether he meant this or if he meant Gentiles. This explains why when talking to Cornelias in acts 20 (it might be 19...?) Peter exclaims, "NOW I see that God is not impartial..." (Emphasis added), because until that point he was unconvinced that christs commission to them was about Gentiles and not just Jews all over the Roman Empire and settled in other lands abroad.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I'm sure the Writing Committee is familiar with the Early Church fathers and

the many writings on Heresy. However, when did we ever get an actual Watchtower article in this arena?

If there has been, I'd like to know about it and read it.

What becomes clear to the point of startling is the fact Early Christianity was a hotbed of human error, strong opinion, debate, skeptical inquiry and truculent discord.

J-Dubs pretend they have the "True" religion but don't recognize the process Early Christians went through of publicly CHALLENGING each other!

The myth of one accord is a most unfortunate fiction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit