Memorable Field Service Moments

by Loris 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Loris
    Loris

For the most part Field Service is a dull event-less drudgery. But there are those rare times that something happens that makes it almost worth the effort.

While living in the state of Washington I was privileged to meet a rare sister. She was funny and a bit off the wall. Field Service with her was an adventure. I never had any success in the ministry while going in service with her but I was never bored. I always tried to be in the same car group with her.

One Saturday morning the car group headed out to the rurals to spread the good news. Sr Offthewall was driving. Sr Allthat in the passenger seat with Sr Tagalong and Sr Paine in the rear. Sr Offthewall and Sr Allthat took the first door. They gave a hearty knock on the door loud enough to wake the dead.

Out from under the porch came a big hairy dog of unknown parentage. He set up a loud protest to warn them that he did not like being woke up from a really good dream and how dare they invade his territory.

Sr Allthat held her book bag out in front of her like some sort of shield to ward off the impending dog attack as the two sisters eased their way back to the car.

The big hairy dog got right up to the book bag shield and turned to his side, lifted his leg and let go all the pee he had stored up all night right into Sr Allthat’s book bag.

The sisters got safely into the car and Sr Offthewall sped down the driveway to the road where she stopped short and demanded that Sr Allthat put her book bag in the trunk because it reeked of pee. Then they proceeded back to town to the bagel shop for bagels and lattes. Field service would have to wait for another day.

Those were the days

Loris

• Loris
    Loris

On another Saturday the car group was in the rurals once again. (This was a farming community so there was a lot of rural territory) This time the car group was Sr Offthewall, Sr Tagalong and in the back seat two young Pioneer Brothers in their early twenties.

The road leading up to the farmhouse was long and dusty. It was summer so the dust rose in a high billowing cloud that followed the car to the farmhouse. While the dust settled the group had the usual discussion of who’s turn it was to go to the door. The two sisters were chosen by the oldest male, Br Snotnose, who by the way was younger than their children and who Sr Offthewall had diapered in his baby years.

The sisters did not get to the door of the house before the two dogs came from around the house. They obviousely meant business. The hair stood up in a ridge on their backs, their tails were down and the barks were mixed with growls. No time for book bag shields, the sisters made a hasty retreat to the car. As they slammed the car doors shut the dogs lunged at the car, barking and growling and scratching the side of the car in an attempt to get at the enemy invaders.

Sr Offthewall started the car, did a three point turn around and sped down the long driveway leaving a huge cloud of dust obscuring the farm, the demon dogs and the terrifing experience far behind.

Sr Offthewall was shaking as she turned onto the paved road at the end of the driveway. From the back seat Br Bethel Wannabe said, "Sr Offthewall, Sr Offthewall, What is that behind the car?" She looked in the mirror and stopped the car, jumped out and ran to the back of the car. There attached to the ball on the hitch of her car was a trailer. You know the kind, flat bed with ramps sticking up at the end for hauling a tractor. Some how in her haste to leave the demon dog farm, as she made the three point turn, she must have backed into the trailer and it fell onto the ball of her car.

The decision was clear. Sr Offthewall was not going to steal some farmer’s trailer. It had to be returned. She turned around and headed back up the dusty driveway. The dogs were still there. The farmer was not. The dogs only barked at them from a distance as she manuvered the trailer into the spot where it had been. They were not a threat to the dogs as long as they stayed in the car. But how could the trailer be disconnected from the car without getting out?

Theocratic rules of who’s in charge do not apply in a crisis situation. Sr Offthewall was in charge. She had a plan.

Br Snotnose had to climb out the car window onto the car roof, from there he had to get down to the trailer hitch and disconnect it.

Of course the demon dogs were not happy with the plan. They barked and snapped and growled, all the while jumping at the side of the car as Br Snotnose climbed out the window and sat on top of the car dressed in a white shirt and tie and suit pants. All the while he is screaming like a girl saying that he was afraid of sliding off the trunk lid into the jaws of the demon dogs. So brave Bethel Wannabe climbs out on the car roof with him.

Drastic measures were needed. Sr Tagalong climbs into the back seat (not an easy thing for a grandmother to do in a dress). The two sisters begin waving Watchtower and Awake magazines out the windows to distract the dogs. A few frisbee throws to the front of the car prove to be good diversions. The ground becomes littered with magazines, some ripped to shreds by the dogs.

In the meanwhile on the roof Br Bethel Wannabe slides down head first toward the bumper as Br Snotnose holds his legs. Br Bethel Wannabe manages to lift the trailer off the ball and to one side so it will slip off the bumper. They climb back into the window joining Sr Tagalong in the back seat.

Sr Offthewall drives forward, checks the mirror. The trailer is free, mission accomplished. Off she flies in a triumphant cloud of dust.

They drive back to the Kingdom Hall and each one goes their separate way. Field service would have to wait for another day.

Then I moved to Florida to the city where the Brothers wear their collars too tight and Field Service has all the joy of cleaning toilets.

But that is all in the past. Thank God for small favors.

Loris

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Good one! Wish I'd been there . . . . There were several sisters who really really deserved to have their bookbags peed into.

I was out with a car group one time in the countryside of Texas, sitting in the back seat with an older sister who, I found out later, was scared of dogs. My dad, who was driving, and her son went up to the door leaving us in the back seat. She was looking at the field of horses to her right, so I started petting the householder's German Shepherd, who had come up to my open window. He really liked getting his ears rubbed and his chin scratched and evidently wanted more because all of a sudden he leaped through the open window into the back seat onto my lap! Well, he was quite a big dog and took up most of the back seat. I was laughing, and the poor sister turned around to find herself nose-to-nose with a huge German shepherd! The dog cheerfully licked her face, and she started screaming. I was still laughing, the car was shaking with the dog's effort to back the hell up and get away from the crazy woman, and total pandemonium reigned for about two minutes.

Ah, memories!

Nina

• Panda
    Panda

Oh wow, we've all probably got tons of these...

There was a pioneer sister who no one ever saw outin service. She owned the local pizza Hut and also a gas station/convienience store. Anyway I guess the CO was visiting and I got to go to a door with her. I thought ok good. The magazine swe were placing had an article about the Bishop and the bomb.

So the sister says to the HH:" Notice here on the cover how the shape of the Bishops hat is exactly like the shape of the bomb."

Panda was struck dumb!!!!!

• mommy1
    mommy1

I was about five or so and threw up on someone's porch. Nobody was home and I still remember my Mom trying to sneak the hose around from the side of the hose to clean it off. We still laugh about it when we go by that house.

• SadElder
    SadElder
    Then I moved to Florida to the city where the Brothers wear their collars too tight and Field Service has all the joy of cleaning toilets.

guess all those bros in Fl are constipated too!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Oh man, I still can remember this vividly.

Click the link and make sure you're not drinking: anything

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/47871/1.ashx

Enjoy

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Whoa, Ray, that was some story!!! And you described it so vividly I want to take another shower . . . . Sometimes I think our "service experiences" were designed to make up for the boredom of meetings. And assemblies. And conventions. And endless reading and studying. Yuck, now I REALLY feel like I need a shower!

Nina

• the mole
    the mole

hi....i can remember some crazy days like that also. one in mind is some old man came at me with a shovel and tried to hit me and the elder i was with started throwing several copies of the "great teacher book" at him. it distracted the old man just long enough for me to run to the car...we left excited that we were both ok and we did have coffee and a donuts later instead of going door to door that day. when i got home i ran to my mom and bragged on my escape...the things we did then....the mole

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I recall being invited to go a study with another pioneer sister. Her study was very poor and lived in a housing project. I remember sitting on a dirty sofa while I watched countless coackroaches move up and down the walls. Needless to say I paid no attention to what either or them said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit