Applying for a job, did you tell interviewers that you were a JW ???

by run dont walk 26 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

XW,

still wonder where he had to go for 2 weeks this summer. Is there some camp JW's go to for 2 weeks in the summer??? I've heard of the assemblies but 2 weeks? Anyone have any clues?

The only 2-week stint JWs put in is regular pioneer school. That is at the end of their first year only, usually August, but could be July depending on the CO's schedule.

Otherwise, he sounds like some other religion.

Blondie

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

When I was a JW I never...EVER...mentioned it to a potential employer. Even when I was deeply indoctrinated, I knew better than that. My wife on the other hand......

College Education........WT Theocratic Ministry School ( her self described greatest school on earth )

It can safely be said though that she didn't get many requests for her services advertising that piece of crap.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Thank you Blondie !!!!

This was the end of July. So it sounds like regular pioneer school. Thank you for answering !!

I feel badly for him, he's young and blindly following something he was brought up with I'm sure. I'm just glad that the worker who knew about it offered to cover for his Thursdays or he might have lost this assignment as well and good jobs are hard to come by in this marketplace.

Blondie, check your PM

XW

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

From something I posted a while ago, reposted...

When I was a Senior in High School, the Principal called me in to her office to ask why I'd missed repeated deadlines to turn in my applications for colleges. I went to a school for brainiacs, and was above average there--yes, I was a geek among geeks.

The Principal asked me if it were a question of finances. She said that she'd been looking over my grades and standardized test scores, and that she was sure I could get a full scholarship to a good University. I almost asked which schools she had in mind. I would have really liked to go to the University of Michigan, and if she had held out the possibility of a scholarship there, I might not have held strong to my convictions.

Alas, I told her that I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and wouldn't be going to college. She kept trying, telling me to go ahead and apply to three Universities of my choosing, and that I could always turn it down if accepted.

I successfully passed the test that Satan had placed before me.

About a year later I was working for a brother, painting houses. I was making about $10/hr. My aunt told me about a company in the area that made inserts for newspapers and such, that was hiring line workers. They were recognized nationally as one of the best companies to work for, and had positions open in the $12-18/hr range.

Visions of sugar plums danced in my head (though as a JW geek, I would never use such an analogy). This was the dream job for a young college-skippee. I figured it wouldn't be long before I worked my way up to a whopping $15/hr. I probably wouldn't get a job in the higher pay scale because it would would undoubtedly require longer working hours, but $15/hr was in the salary stratosphere as far as I and my young Pioneer friends were concerned.

I wore my best give-a-talk-at-the-assembly suit for the interview.

The gentleman conducting the interview asked me the standard questions--what I thought I had to offer to the company, yaddayaddayadda. Then he asked me what was the proudest accomplishment of my life.

This is what immediately popped into my head: I was about 15 yrs old, and my twin brother and I were horsing around. I pinned him down to the ground and was sitting on top of him. Then I started letting long strings of saliva out of my mouth, sucking them back in just before they touched him. I had been eating hard candy (Jolly Ranchers or something) so my spit was extra viscous. As the strings of spit crept successively closer to my brother's face, he started laughing uncontrollably. The final string of spit that I let out actually went inside his opened mouth. It didn't touch anything, but had he closed his mouth, he would have been forever contaminated with watermelon-flavored cooties. Using my undeveloped skills in The Force, I was able to sense the point where the slobber spear would break under the stress of recapture, and successfully retrieved it.

Obviously I couldn't tell the well-groomed professional on the other side of the desk that the proudest moment in my young life was an otherworldly control over my own spit. Instead, this is what I said:

"When I was baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

I wish I could now claim that I knew it was all hogwash, that I went to the meetings and listened with a cynical ear, anxious for the time when I could get home and do the things that I really liked. But the sad truth is that I enjoyed the meetings, and looked forward to them. I actually thought that the answer I gave the interviewer would make my God's heart rejoice, and that I was virtually guaranteed a position.

After explaining that the positions they had open were for varying shifts, the interviewer concluded by asking if I had anything to add. I said "I'll need every Tuesday and Thursday evening off, as well as all day Sunday, so I can attend the meetings."

Thinking back on it, I'm surprised I didn't offer the guy a free home bible study.

Obviously I didn't get the job. But fear not, I bore up under Satan's persecution.

Hmmm

• minimus
    minimus

Before I was self-employed, I would always tell a prospective employer that I was a JW. As a matter of fact, some businesses actively sought out Witnesses because of their honest reputation. If I was going to get a job, I knew it would have to accomodate meetings and service.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

That was a long time ago... these days, anything more than a week - I can't remember.

I _do_ remember that after working for almost 1 year - my first job - they had one of them dang 1-week 'International' assemblies... (was it 1975?)

(YES! You read correctly - 1-week! 1 bloody week of... oh. Sorry. I need to finish my post.)

Anyway... I asked for that week off (and then some), and was told that if anyone got off - it would be someone with seniority - so I tendered my 2-weeks notice.

Actually - it turned out for the best - as I was able to eventually get another job in radio - which eventually led to my getting an on-air gig... well, that's another story.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Soledad
    Soledad
    The brothers gave us the impression that by saying you're a JW, that you had a better chance of getting the job. It's simply not true.

you've said it. I remember when I was in the 16-19 year old range I was looking for work everywhere and anywhere. but of course when I filled out applications and I got to the part that asked for a schedule I would leave out Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sundays. and on one interview I had at a local drug store my whole conversation revolved around the "witness" thingy (yuck how stupid of me) But then again I was only 17 and didn't know any better. naturally I was never hired anywhere. when I would ask for advice on whether it was a good idea to say that I'm a JW the brothers looked at me like I was nuts---of course I had to tell the employers! and then came the old "pray to Jehovah, he will provide, blah blah........"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit