Applying for a job, did you tell interviewers that you were a JW ???

by run dont walk 26 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

When going for a interview, did you tell the interviewer that you were a JW , and couldn't work meeting nights.

Did you think being theocratic would help you get the job ???

Or were you the type to take the job, so you could miss the meetings. (that was me)

I have interviewed people that were JW's and they've said, they can't work meeting nights, I haven't had one in a long time though.

oh and case you were wondering, once the interview was over, the resume went in the garbage.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

nope. but then again i've only had two jobs in my whole life including the one i'm currently doing, and in both cases i had already made up my mind that i was not going to continue as a JW before i applied.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I'm looking up at tinky and I can see that she's not wearing any....... never mind

My first job was taco bell. I never told the boss or anyone working there that I was a dub in training. Are you kidding? I was a lousy witness.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82
    I'm looking up at tinky and I can see that she's not wearing any....... never mind

shhhhhhhh...that was supposed to be our secret!! :P

you know, i was thinking about it, and my little sister is a hardcore JW, and she took every opportunity she could to inform the NUMEROUS employers she petitions for a job that she wasa witness and would need meeting nights off. and she had a hell of a difficult time getting hired...but she blamed it on the fact that people tend to get hired based on their looks!!!

• maxwell
    maxwell

On the jobs I first had as a teenager with the ever-changing hours, the applications always had an area to show when you were available, so I always made sure not to include meeting times. And I might mention my meetings when asked. It usually wasn't a problem because those types of jobs didn't expect to be your main gig. I could just as easily have had classes or after-school activities during those times.

On one of my first professional type interviews (for some internship), the guy asks me something like "What is the one thing you would like us to know about you?" I stupidly said something like "Well that I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and my convictions come first in my life?" And the guy snaps back at me "NO! That is not what you want us to know!" It was an internship type position as I mentioned and although it was a real interview and it might sound rude, he was really educating me. My answer had nothing whatsoever to do with the job. I didn't get the job, but I did learn my lesson.

After that I never mentioned it. I might ask about how often overtime or weekend work was required, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. Even non-JW may be concerened with limiting the amount of time they spend working overtime or weekends so that is a legitimate question to ask on an interview.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Well Max you were hardcore weren't you, but a lesson well learned. I had lots of out of work girlfriends back then.

Tinky are you saying that Taco Bell didn't hire me because I'm the brightest bulb on the tree???

• gumby
    gumby

Stacy.....can you at least tell us what tinky looks like from down under? (dang teaser you!)

I never was worried to much about the job being on a meeting night with the job I got with safeway back in the early 70's. I wanted the job so bad as there were few jobs in the town I was in. I did ask off for assemblies and the memorial but if I couldn't get it off......I NEVER insisted to the point of jepordizing my job as I always thought that was foolish. To think "Jehovah would bless me if I did always sounded like bullshit as I knew others who were let go for insisting that they would take it off anyways even if it meant losing their jobs their jobs if they couldn't get it off. How damn stupid!

Gumby

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No I never did - not anybody else's business who or how I worship --certianly not an employer's

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

When I was younger, I tended more to be going for jobs that might have caused some sort of conflict (such as having to work on meeting nights), so I did have to tell the employer a good part of the time that I was a JW. I usually didn't volunteer the information unless there was a reason to, though. No need to invite "persecution."

Since leaving, I have had the same job, but on the occasions that I have looked at another job, I haven't volunteered my status as a ex-JW, either. With my luck, the interviewer would turn out to be a JW, or else would be so worried about my "issues" as a former cult member that he wouldn't hire me out of fear that I'd go postal or something. I have at times wondered, though, whether 30 years as a JW might be regarded as a plus when interviewing for a sales job.

• Swan
    Swan

Nope. I even tried to keep it quiet after I was hired. Even after becoming an xJW, I was too ashamed to admit I was trapped in a stinking cult for the first 35 years of my life. Very few know that about me at any of the jobs I went to, just close friends.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit