Dan Sydlik

by done4good 46 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mostly I've only read good things about Sydlik and Swngle. There was a poster years ago who knew the Swingle family well and insisted they were good people who wanted a more liberal approach. Ray Franz of course famously quoted Sydlik as saying the WT needed some open the windows for fresh air and to lighten up in the 1970s. Swingle he said gave him a hug in the lift when he was being expelled.

But I do remember one thread that claimed Swingle could be racist and Sydlik could be a bully. Should be measured against all the good reports but maybe worth mentioning.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/24043/about-dan-sydlik?page=1&size=20

Jack Barr I've never heard a bad word about ever.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    SBF; what about Lloyd Barry ?
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

A second report of Swingle using the N word. This was the one I was thinking of actually.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4825734497435648/my-bethel-experience-part-17

I don't know jookbeard. Ray Franz claims Barry was a swing vote who held back alternative service for over a decade doesn't he?

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Loyd Barry. He was a decent guy but I don't think he would have ever "turned". He was a close friend of a family member, now both of course dead.

I took him and Melba for dinner one night when they were visiting and someone mentioned something like lions eating grass a little skeptically. He was straight on it saying "you know some have gone straight out of the truth talking like that". It all went quiet for a bit then all was well again.

Over all, a decent man but company through and through.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Dan the man sydlik. Sounds like.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    I remember meeting Dan at a convention in Roanoake Va many years ago. He was approachable, friendly and genuine. I was impressed that he spent all his free time with the regular folks instead of sequestering himself away in the VIP suite. Made an impression on me.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Dan used to pioneer in the S California area when he was young. Our congo brought him out many times to visit and give talks...he also gave the dedication talk to our remodeled hall.

One Saturday I was at MFS, and there was this older gentleman milling about in a baby blue suit. I didn't know who he was so I went up and introduced myself and he stuck out his hand and said, "Hi! I'm Dan!"

I will say he gave warm, funny off script talks...would say "God bless you all" to the congregation. He seemed genuine. I think he tried to do what he felt was right, but he was a company man...no inside apostate. Just back in the early days those guys could be more individual...they didn't all have to march in goose step.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@Dagney: I think the observation about being a 'company man' is true at many levels, not just GB. I've known a lot of elders and CO's over the years that were mostly normal people, most of the time, and could be a lot of fun to be around in a social way. But, if you pressed the wrong button, they could switch in an instant.

I remember one particular occasion where we were having a nice dinner at our best friends house with a few other families. Music, wine, good food. After dinner, I happened to innocently ask about why CA's cost so much at a hall we built and paid for. Talk about hitting a raw nerve.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am convinced that there are good people from the top to the bottom of the Org, but they are rare. Extremely rare nowadays.

Some really try to be "Christlike", and I am sure they are sincere, but there are the odd ones that can fake sincerity.

The majority in the upper echelons are corrupted by power, perhaps corrupted by the very seeking of power before they got there, or their wives pushed them there.

• lrkr
    lrkr
    I also personally thought of Dan Sydlick as a very interesting warm individual. But then I read Ray Franz book. In it he describes an incident where Sydlick was sitting on the committee that disfellowshipped Dunlap. He was quoted as saying to Dunlap "We're not here to answer your Bible questions" in an arrogant condescending manner. That changed my whole view of him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit