Dan Sydlik

by done4good 46 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

Morning Warship - He was the only restraint and I'm not saying that lightly. I know there are a dozen others here who were in Bethel back in the early 2000's who know what I'm talking about. He actually kept me thinking this was Jehovah's org because of his sincerity as if the holy spirit was operating in him. All others were/are about power and control. Did you notice a major shift in organization matters since 2006 and not for the better but more cult-like since then? Yeah that was because Dan was the only restraint holding them back from demanding complete obedience and loyalty to the only faithful slave. Sound familiar? Some of us felt Dan was a secret apostate who died with that secret. God bless him wherever he is now.

I didn't want to derail Orphan Crow's thread, so I am starting a new one concerning this GB member.

I have a JW friend that knew Dan well when he was alive. This friend and I have been very frank about both my reasons for leaving 10 years ago as well as his own very serious doubts he currently has. I know his one big hangup with leaving himself has to do with what he thought of Dan Sydlik, whom of which he considered to be a sincere person. I am after specific conversations, actions, etc. that at least anecdotally support the argument that Sydlik was an anomaly. Many people have mentioned he was "different" in some way, but none of the information I have read here or elsewhere over the last several years gets specific enough to build a discussion around. I would like to use that sort of information to support the argument to my friend that Sydlik just happened to be a "good guy" at best, in a flawed human made system. Can you or anyone else offer such?

d4g

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

Sydlik and Swingle were cut from the same metal, in my opinion. I think they were both secret apostates hoping to effect change from within.

I didn't know Sydlik as well as I knew Swingle, though. But Dan seemed to be of similar personality.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

When I first started my time at Bethel, he was apparently recovering from some sort of surgery, so he wasn't around. One morning, I as I approached my morning worship table, guess who was sitting at the foot of the table. Yup. Dan Sydlik. We chatted for a bit. He could tell I was new so he asked all the basic questions. I mentioned where I was from and he asked about a few people he correctly assumed I knew. Overall he was very pleasant. He didn't come off as jerk or anything. I also thought it was interesting he sat at the foot of the table instead of the head. Among some bethelites this is a HUGE deal. The fact he sat at the other end tells me that he just wanted to sit down and get some food lol. He didn't seem to care about status.

I could definitely see him as a very "moderate" almost left of center GB person.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I have 2 anecdotal stories about Dan Sydlik that I heard through some Bethel Elders when I was at The Farm in the mid '70's. Apparently, he and a few other members wanted to break up the established 'power brokered' order of things. Most notably was the 'unholy trinity' of Nathan Knorr, Max Larsen and George Couch.

1. Once Dan Sydlik and some Bethelites were playing basketball during lunch. It was getting close to 1:00 pm and the afternoon work bell would soon ring. Max Larsen walked by the court and said: 'break it up boys, it's time to go back to work!' to which Dan Sydlik reportedly said: 'Let the boys have some fun and finish our game. It won't disrupt the whole factory if we're a few minutes late'. Max Larsen didn't like being put in his place.

2. George Couch was used to having his OWN way as Home Servant. As many of you will recall, he ruled with an 'iron fist' and in my opinion he was an arrogant asshole. He and I butted heads even before I became a Bethelite! At any rate, on his inspection trips to Watchtower Farms, he would stop by the slaughterhouse and LOAD UP on every conceivable cut of meat for Knorr, Larsen and himself. Any Bethelite can tell you that at that time you had to requisition meat and PAY for it out of your own pocket. Not the mighty 'unholy trinity'. No requisition was necessary and no limit on the amount and quality cut of the meats! Well Sydlik and the reformers put an end to Couch's shenanigans and now the 'unholy trinity' had to requisition their meat just like any other Bethelite.

Lots of power struggles with the 'expanded' Governing Body(tm) and I think that you will find that no moderates or real reformers will every be appointed to the Governing Body(tm) again. Only 'true believers' and 'company men' will RULE Jehovah's Witnesses from now on.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I never knew Dan Sydlik personally. My parents met him and a few other GB members at a convention and had dinner with them. They were starstruck. From all accounts, he was a charming, charismatic man. When I was a JW, I enjoyed hearing recording of his talks more than anyone else.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    Oh god. "THE HOME" The people who were overseers in the home and their underlings were the worst. Biggest group of assholes at Bethel.
  • jehobi
    jehobi
    I helped out with the expansion at Paterson. I met Dan there and I have to agree with everyone here that he was the last good guy left.
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I didn't know Dan but John Barr I knew as well as his sister as I was in the same cong as her and I visited NY a few times and John Barr always made sure we visited him for the afternoon.

A seriously genuine, honest, hard working man who only reinforced the belief to me that it was "the truth".

After he and all GB 1.0 members passed on GB 2.0 are certainly NOTHING like these old timers...and I whilst I accept it is not "the truth" even when the likes of John & Dan were in the GB it is hard to accept they were as devious or manipulative as GB 2.0 are...GB 1.0, or at least Dan & John, had more honesty about them.

I think if most of the older GB members were still alive they would be aghast as to what the GB and the org have become...which is great because it will be their downfall.

• done4good
    done4good

Thank you all for your comments so far. I will read them to greater detail either this evening after work, or weekend.

d4g

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    I knew John (he was just Jack then) before he went to NY. He was a good man. I agree that like everyone else he was misled but a kind honest man. I can't imagine what he would make of the current crop and their shenanigans..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit