Watchtower myth: God’s will discerned through committees, not individual leaders

by Londo111 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Divergent
    Divergent

stuckinarut2:

So when they "collectively" came up with doctrines that are now wrong, was that still evidence of Jesus and Jehovah's direction??!!?

Hit the nail on the head right there!!!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thanks Divergent!

Yes, they can't have it both ways.

Either God is directing the society and he keeps making mistakes, OR God is not directing the society.....

• Londo111
    Londo111

"They are just imperfect men. They never claimed to be infallible! Proverbs 4:18!"

But at the same time they are Spirit-directed and whatever they currently teach is "food at the proper time".

It's a sweet system they've set up.

As Lieu said: “all the authority but none of the responsibility".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Londo111...

I remember reading that bit in COC (that you quoted on the previous page), and realizing the fundamental truth of it.

I also remember how angry it made me.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"So when they 'collectively' came up with doctrines that are now wrong, was that still evidence of Jesus and Jehovah's direction??!!?"

xxxxxxxxx

"Everything is proof we're right! Even the stuff that isn't!!!"

• Half banana
    Half banana

The JW org it isn't a theocracy since no god intervenes or has any input, it is simply an oligarchy (rule by the few) who decide on a majority vote.

Theocracies are names given to the most dire form of political control, as if god were ruling. They have with the most sublime divinely ordained expectations but the worst outcome. It usually involves or invokes death to the non-believer or apostate. They are dystopias; the concerted realizations of foolish idealistic beliefs.

Hell's bells, I was there once...............

• Londo111
    Londo111

Another idea has occurred to me about working in a small group: human synergy.

Music bands often have this synergy, where their creative output almost seems greater than their individual parts. Of course, very few musicians would attribute this to a divine mandate. Or perhaps this is where the Greek idea of the Muse comes from.

Other small groups might exhibit synergy in other venues, like business, but there is nothing supernatural about it. Many hands make light work.

Of course, the stuff the Governing Body comes up with as a small collective is so underwhelming, but in their mind they might feel the thrill of human synergy.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Yes Londo, perhaps like the camaraderie felt by crooks when successfully executing a crime...Or am I being cynical?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit