Watchtower myth: God’s will discerned through committees, not individual leaders

by Londo111 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Be it the Governing Body, or a judicial committee of the local elder body, when a two-thirds majority vote is reached, it is viewed as God’s will, as the action of holy spirit, of Jesus nudging the stars in his right hand. [And if I’m not mistaken, the minority is encouraged to change their vote, so that is “unanimous”.]

Anthony Morris alluded to this when he unsuccessfully tried to explain why the Governing Body is not dogmatic. “The decisions that are made by the Faithful Slave today, are made collectively. So no one man's making these decisions. These decisions, if you want to call them a decree, are made collectively . . . This is a theocracy, ruled by God. Not a collection of manmade decisions. This is governed from heaven.

A relative who was an elder felt sort of the same way on the elder body, explaining it as a miraculous shift that would occur in reaching a consensus. God’s will mystically becomes known through a small body of men.

This mythos greases the wheels of the Watchtower chariot.

I wonder about the psychological dynamics of committee leadership from whence this feeling of awe is derived.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I wonder about the psychological dynamics of committee leadership from whence this feeling of awe is derived.

My guess is that it's similar to an ouija board in which no individual feels in any way responsible for the outcome, but all have a part in making it happen.

I never really understood how making decision by consensus was somehow proof of divine backing. Decisions are made by consensus in governments all the time, but the WT would always say that those are just men making the decisions. What's the difference?

• Londo111
    Londo111

I guess this is related to what Ray Franz said in Crisis of Conscience:

Based on my own experience among them I believe that they are, in effect, the captives of a concept. The concept or mental image they have of “the organization” seems almost to take on a personality of its own, so that the concept itself controls them, moves them or restrains them, by molding their thinking, their attitudes, their judgments . . .

The insertion of the existing concept of “the organization,” however, radically alters their thinking and viewpoint, becomes, in fact, the dominant, controlling force . . .

I believe that when the men on the Governing Body think about and refer to “the organization” they likewise think of the concept rather than the reality. They think of “the organization” as something far bigger and grander than themselves, thinking of it in its numerical aspect, in the extent of its scope of control, as something international, worldwide. They do not realize—apparently—that this aspect relates more to the organization’s domain than to what it itself actually is. When, however, they urge “loyalty to the organization” they must know, they certainly should know, that they are not talking about that domain—about the thousands of congregations and their members that the organization directs. They are talking about loyalty to the source of the direction, the source of the teachings, the source of the authority.

Whether the Governing Body members acknowledge it or whether they prefer not to think about it, the fact remains that in these crucial respects they, and they alone, are “the organization.” Whatever other authority exists—that of the Branch Committees, that of the District or Circuit Overseers, that of Congregational Elder Bodies—that authority is totally dependent on that small body of men, subject to adjustment, change or removal at their decision, unilaterally, with no questions asked . . .

I believe that for most of these Governing Body members, like the rest of Jehovah’s Witnesses, “the organization” takes on a symbolic nature, something rather undefined, abstract, a concept rather than a concrete entity. Rather than the “mother church” it is the “mother organization.”

Perhaps because of such an illusory view of “the organization” a man can be a member of such a Body that has virtually unrestricted power and authority, and yet not feel a keen sense of personal responsibility for what the Body does, for whatever hurt or whatever misleading information and consequent misdirection results. “It was the organization that did it, not us,” seems to be the thinking. And, believing that “the organization” is God’s chosen instrument, the responsibility is passed on to God. It was His will—even if later the particular decision or the particular authoritative teaching is found wrong and changed. People may have been disfellowshiped or otherwise hurt by the wrong decisions. But the individual member of the Governing Body feels absolved of personal responsibility.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Good one, One EyedJoe!

This is the best description yet: "Like an ouija board, not one person feels responsible"

Ironic!! Thx!

• Londo111
    Londo111
    I agree. It's no different than a ouija board.
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    My guess is that it's similar to an ouija board in which no individual feels in any way responsible for the outcome, but all have a part in making it happen.
    I never really understood how making decision by consensus was somehow proof of divine backing.

Decisions through consensus building is the Quaker way of doing things. Quaker meetings are funny, though, there's little said, and more than a little sad as well.

@Londo111

Excellent quote! Very insightful and true.

• Lieu
    Lieu

That info from Franz, yep. It's akin to wanting all the authority but none of the responsibility.

This is why their (GB) claim of being the "faithful and discreet slave" is bunk. In every parable, each individual "slave" is held responsible for the decision made and action taken.

No group assessment and no blame placing.

• steve2
    steve2

These decisions, if you want to call them a decree, are made collectively . . . This is a theocracy, ruled by God. Not a collection of manmade decisions. This is governed from heaven.

Let's get this straight: "...decisions...made collectively... is a theocracy." What a totally nonsensical conclusion!

At best, it sounds like a form of rulership democracy; that is,  leaders get to vote on what passes as "truth" not God.

How could that process ever be accurately construed as a theocracy? Because God's name and "rulership" are invoked?

This perfectly illustrates how "authority" is created by men in the service of controlling a specified group of believers.

That is, men meet, discuss a topic, take a vote on it - and on the basis of the total number of votes in favor versus not in favor, make decrees that are passed off as guided by "God".

This could be the process used by any one of many religious groups dotting the globe.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    It was his abstention from voting on many issues that got Raymond Franz in trouble. Another member of the Governing Body was actually counting the number of times that he had abstained and started Franz's witch-hunt trial on that basis.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So when they "collectively" came up with doctrines that are now wrong, was that still evidence of Jesus and Jehovah's direction??!!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit