AGREE? or DISAGREE? Popular Music

by Terry 52 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Beethoven and Mozart were considered radical in their day.

There's always been a generation gap in music from the time that people figured out how to make music evolve. So it's natural for older people to hate the music of younger people.

I tend to agree that the popular music of the 1960's was great and the harder rock of the 70's and 80's really emphasized the music more than the words, and the stuff afterward was catering to the demands of the masses.

But don't just hate or assume today's music is trash. There's more music for dance nowadays. There's still plenty of artists who can tell a story in comparison to the greats of the 60's. Tastes among groups causes such division, but rap has it's place as much as punk has it's place.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Music is in the ear of the beholder.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

If you watch the video it's clear that the guy is not making a generalised statement about all contemporary music. He is making a statement about much of the production line chart filling dross that comes and goes with each week.

As someone who listens to a lot of new and emerging music I know there is a wealth of fantastic stuff out there that is relevant and has artistic merit. Every age has the same and you've always had to wade through crap to find the gold.

I hate the idea that the only music with any merit, the best stuff ever created just happens to be the music you liked in your teens and twenties. It's as stupid an idea as saying the religion one is born into has to be the only true one.

I agree with much of what the guy has to say but that is not the same as saying that all new music is crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit