AGREE? or DISAGREE? Popular Music

by Terry 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Lol @get off my lawn guy. Lots of musicians get famous without flashing their kootch. There is more variety today than ever, a great time for music. You sound like the dubs carrying on about how awful life is today by focusing on something they don't like to support a narrow view.....dubstepped
    Yep..

I`ve heard the same BS about "Today`s New Music" for decades..

There`s lots of good new artists and exceptional song writers in every generation..
    In 20 years "Today`s New Music",is tomorrows Elevator Music..

100 years from now...
    There will be some Crusty Old Fart complaining about "Today`s New Music"...

Music was Much Better During the Time,Humans Started Colonizing Mars!...

...........................................IT`S ALL CRAP NOW!..
    ........................................Image result for Old spaceman

• baker
    baker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nmYOQIidqo

This song is both cute and annoying

• Giordano
    Giordano

The mid 1960's and 1970's was a golden age of music. Not only do the songs still resonate but the artists are still in the business of performing great music.

What we have starting in the 1980's was diverse marketing, a raising need for dance music, a passion for rap and incorporation of jazz and fusion. Country music became American music.

Unless you do the clubs or listen to a whole lot of music us older folks just don't hear enough to be able to tell what's exceptional and whats just a rip off.

I tend to stay in my comfort range which is about hearing the individual instruments and what the vocalist is singing.

A lot of stuff is dumbed down but music has never been smarter in my opinion.

Here is a segment from the Voice a 1980's song by a young competitor. Be careful when you listen it's going to take up residence in the music loving part of your brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXSpu18OPB0

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I would agree with you Terry, much of the music that's being produced today and targeted to young teens is mostly appalling in its lack of quality, its made to shock the listeners and viewers by using sexual innuendos, violence and that's the intent into marketing and commercialize the music.

It appears when the music really isn't that good your pressured to sell it harder, all as a underlining agenda to make it sell .

One just has to look at the Gramies or other music Award shows and take note of the on stage performances .

Music presented as if it was strip show, in a strip club as it were.

That being said there is still some good music created by talented performers but it seems to get blindsided and overwhelmed by the shock and vitriol influenced produced music.

One thing that can be clearly said is that people get into the music industry these days more for the money rather than the love, respect and passion for the music of itself.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    There is plenty great music around today but you have to look outside of mainstream, once you do you are spoiled for choice. Mainstream is the generic pre-prepared, easy to digest fast food of music for the dumbing down of the masses. Alternative is where the all good stuff is at, you just have to dig a bit deeper to find it.
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Lyrics
    Na na na, come on
    Na na na, come on
    Na na na, na na come on
    Na na na, come on, come on
    Come on, na na-na na come on
    Na na na, come on
    Na na na, na na, come on

Na na na, come on, come on
    Come on, na na na na

Well.....she is quite the poet, isn't she.

I would actually say that the quality of the music is better, but the quality of the voices if worse - in fact you barely need to be able to sing in order to be a singer. The quality of the lyrics is.....oh well...abysmal.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A lot of stuff is dumbed down but music has never been smarter in my opinion.

Really like Gangsta Rap, hip hop Lady GaGa etc. ???

Yes all classic music that will be appreciated decades from now, like the music produced in the 1960's and 70's etc. ????

By the way Giordano Yellow Brick Road by Elton John came out in the 1970's not the 1980's

I grew up listening to music from the 1960's and 70's and I can confidently say there was better song writing and talent in both those decades compared to what's been coming out in the last decade.

" You listen to my shit and I make the money, you listen to my shit I make the money "

" I ain't no fool, my whores know I'm smart cause I make the money "

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    80s and 90s probably my favourite eras for music but some good songs were around in the noughties as well.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

That sounds like an OLD FART talking about the good old days;)

Music is better and more varied than ever.

You have a 100 times more to choose from in genres that did not exist in the 50's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit