Why do people just give their money to the Watchtower?

by WireRider 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• blondie
    blondie

Hedging their bets on their getting life everlasting in good health on a paradise earth surrounded by their resurrected family and friends.

Actually few contribute voluntarily. My husband, father, 3 male cousins, uncle, grandfather were accounts servants over the years. Some were lucky to have wealthy jws that donated because it was also a good tax deducation as well providing them influence in the congregation, circuit, and branch.

They said that out of congo of 100, perhaps 10 donated more than $75 a month. One brother used to hold back for several months until there was a financial crisis then he would save the day with $800 to $1000 which was the same amount he donated each month for 8 to 9 months, $100/month.

My husband knew who donated that did by check or had to get a slip for the IRS.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    I donated because I thought it was the true religion at the time. What kind of answer are you looking for?
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

People donate from emotional directives, not "intelligence" directives. This is true for all donations really. Sure some people are diligent in doing what they can to make sure the donations go to the purpose intended, but when dealing with a large organization this can be quite difficult, if not close to impossible.

Giving on a more personal level is getting more control, giving clothing, food, etc... directly to a family means you see the results of your donation personally.

WTBTS has zero transparency when it comes to the $$, yet the corporate attempts to provide a highly incomplete semblance of "accounting" which seems to emotionally satisfy those who are emotionally attached to the WTBTS.

It is not "stupid", it is mind trained/controlled. Two different ballgames.

Then there are those who give to attain status within the organization- also, a different ballgame and they do it for a specific purpose. Not stupid if they get what they want. Now the realistic rational in actually wanting status in this organization is another topic ...

• blondie
    blondie
    Paul, that doesn't preclude that isn't the premise that the other people started from, but their motives were not as altruistic as yours.
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Simple--"Religion is a snare and a racket"

just sayig!

eyeuse2badub

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Why?

Some are actually convinced that Jay Hoover will give them a pass for their low Field Circus time if they donate a certain amount each month. I've actually overheard some Dubs expressing this delusional assumption in conversations with other "weak" Dubs. It's pretty sad when Dubs start to believe that they can supplement their spiritual weakness with money.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Many devout to the WTS/JWS deem the organization something wholesome and virtuous from a sociological perspective, A place where one can be directed to a better way of living.

That's why you hear many JWS say well even if it isn't the truth its still a better way to live. Mix in some internal conscientious beliefs that this organization is really being guided and has been chosen by god, they are compelled to support it as an appeasement to him.

Being that the WTS promotes the notion that Judgement day is just around the corner, this further persuades people to donate money toward it for their own sake as well ,

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    I donated because I thought it helped others. Then I realized that everyone has to pay for their KHs and AHs, no one gets one built for free. How stupid of me! So I stopped, donating that is.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

wirerider - "Why do people just give their money to the Watchtower?"

Actually, a number of us suspect that fewer and fewer people are giving their money to the Watchtower... including the rank-and-file. :smirk:

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

People give money to the Borg for the last century or so because the mirage of a Paradise Earth with absolute health and eternal life looks sooooo beautiful and grand. The promise of cheating death, or being resurrected to eternal life, under the conditional terms of living under WBTS standards.

That is the carrot on the end of the string which is so appealing. The average Dub is so mezmorized by it all that they don't dare take 5 seconds with half their brains and question it, unquestioning obedience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit