The "apostacy stigmatisation" of doing research!

by stuckinarut2 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

A thought occurred that the way the society has stigmatised the doing of external research by witnesses, and labelling any such questioning as "apostate", is tragic.

No doubt, in EVERY other aspect of life, we research things before making decisions. eg, if making a purchase, we go online and check reviews etc to check the product out. We don't just trust the words of the marketing department. This is not a sceptical task, but a fact finding one.

Or, what if we hear about a product recall, for example a tinned food in a grocery store, do we take the precautionary step of checking our pantry, and getting rid of any possibly affected item we have bought? Or do we say "I have always bought this item, and I will not change now just because the Media has released a warning!"

Or if a vehicle manufacturer issues a recall to fix a problem, do we ignore it?

• stillin
    stillin

Good illustrations, stuck. Sure, you might still purchase something, even if it's in less-than-perfect condition, but that's an informed choice to make. The seller deceiving his customer is the heinous thing in this case.

I have always thought that at the very least, the "Watching the World" tidbits could contain some current affairs about the WTS. For example, some of the legal entities that they have established could have been explained to the r&f. Instead, all the common, everyday Witness gets is hearsay. Very clergy-like. "Don't you worry your heads about these things. WE will worry about that! YOU just be obedient!"

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Silly siar82. Of course you can do research. You can research lots of things using the fantastic JW Research Guide. See, it's even called Research Guide. Only today I was reminded that the Bible is true because it says so in the Bible. I didn't even have to google anything to find that out. What a time saver. How happified I was.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

You are 100% correct! The internet is having a major impact on WT. The internet age is here and is biting WT in the a**. Telling people not to do research on a subject is crazy. If one of my kids came home and wanted to join a church or all of a sudden became consumed with a cult like JW, you would bet I would be on the internet to do my research.

This is a good thing!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I had heard a disgusting public talk a few weeks ago where they were talking about "witnessing" (recruiting) and everything they were saying about getting people to question, criticize and eventually leave their "false" religion were things they forbid in their own religion. It turned my stomach I was literally shaking my head in disgust.
  • blondie
    blondie
    Before 1981, research was not frowned much upon. In fact the WTS still quotes from non-jw religious sources. But with the "great apostasy" at Bethel and the exit of many senior Bethelites because of research in "private" groups, using your own brain was considered apostasy.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

Basically anything disparaging toward the organization is apostate. It matters not if it is fact.

Everything is double rainbows and unicorns. It's embarrassing that I bought into it all.

• Giordano
    Giordano

A functioning JW has to subscribe to the principle of 'Rational Ignorance' which means............"refraining from acquiring knowledge when the cost of educating oneself on an issue exceeds the potential benefit that the knowledge would provide".

There is no point in learning about any number of things, like the history of mankind, evolution, non christian history, politics, a serious study of other religions, the safety of blood transfusions, the mistakes of the WT society.

A believing JW does not have to waste time questioning anything that is in conflict with the Society.

Critical thinking and critical judgement of anything that has a JW copyright is totaly unnecessary if you want to remain a JW.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, even the expression "critical thinking skills" has been demonised by the society!

Many schools teach "critical thinking" in order to equip youths as they grow to be informed citizens. BUT the society has stigmatised that very expression, thus preventing genuine "critical thinking"....

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @stuck no witness in their right minds would refrain from fact checking in pretty much anything else in their lives. That sort of says it all really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit