are the witnesses now considered "clergy " ?

by lancelink 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Watchtower has always desired to be Clergy.

Check the articles, they always say that they have no “PAID clergy”

Remember the caveat.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LANCELINK:

When I studied with the Witnesses, it was emphasized to me more than once that they had No clergy class. That’s one of the reasons I joined.

LASTMANSTANDING:

That’s right:..no ‘paid’ clergy! Anybody there who aspired to be a wannabe paid clergyman was in the wrong religion as far as I was concerned.. I’d never give them anything. The fact that they are morphing into something else right before everybody’s eyes makes me glad I left this ever-changing religion years ago!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

They are not only considered clergy, but they argued in the Menlo Park KH legal case that they were just like the Catholic Church. Lol. Google it to find out more. It’s absolutely astounding

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Watchtower has always desired to be Clergy.

Check the articles, they always say that they have no “PAID clergy”

Thats correct, lastmanstanding. It's a phrase that slips by the rank and file when they say it. They have a clergy, just no paid clergy.

• tiki
    tiki

I recall in the draft era of Vietnam the brothers would get out of serving if they had the "clergy" classification...I think....Terry would know....they had to be pioneers and have some role in the congregation..then they would be allowed to be clergy worthy....

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I know that you can choose to opt out of doing jury duty in the UK if you are a minister of religion.

So brothers and sisters were stating on their application form that they were so they could get out of doing it. Then the WT Branch sent out a letter saying that only congregation elders could use this cop out clause.

So the irony is that on the one hand every witness is told during the baptism talk "today you are qualified as ministers of God" they aren't allowed to say so in any secular setting until they have qualified as an elder.

Elders can choose to use their rights as a Minister of Religion to not be on a jury, BUT it is a conscience matter. The brother who is the coordinator of the congregation I used to be in, was twice on jury duty. He told us about one case which was a murder with his words "but we nailed the bastard!" I reckon you can all guess what he is like on judicial committees as well...

• Chook
    Chook

How many catholic priests were window cleaners ? The papal Tony Morris would look good in his scarlet gown sipping whiskey with the bishops of Warwick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit