Advice on how to choose a book

by slimboyfat 13 Replies latest social humour

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I love books; I always have. They are my life and my livelihood. And many Jehovah's Witnesses, when they leave the religion, they think to themselves, "I'd like to read a book". But they often don't know which book to read. I'm here to offer some advice on how to choose a book.

1. To be specific you should start by reading any book called "How to Avoid Huge Ships".

2. Books containing delusions or Foucault's pendulum are obviously mistaken or double entendres. If they can be read against the grain they may be satisfying.

3. Books about trees are good to read, if a little self-referential. The exception to this rule is if the book is about climbing trees in central London. In this case it is a boring book to be avoided, like a huge ship.

4. Books that start on page 1 are usually better than books that start on pages 3 or 5, or a higher number. And any books that begins on pages 2 or 4 should definitely be avoided, as you would avoid a huge ship as per previous reading. 

5. It's good if the book can balance well on the edge of the bath. Otherwise the book will fall in the bath, become wet and be very difficult to read.

6. Books that have won prizes are good to read. The Templeton prize in particular is a good indicator that these are titles worth looking out for in book shops or online. Books that are given as prizes on the other hand are not often good to read. 

6.B Books with darker font can be easier to read when the light is poor or when travelling in a moving vehicle.

7. If you go to a public library and look for a good book to read you will find that the best books are the ones that are not there because other people have already borrowed them. To avoid this problem go to the library a day early and look for good books before other people borrow them.

8. 1001 books you must read before you die. To the making of books about lists there is no end. And much devotion to them is wearisome during the days of your flesh. They also tend to be too heavy to read comfortably sitting up in bed.

9. Books about Jehovah's Witnesses fall into three categories, both of which can be confused with the other unless you look at the barcode. These can be interesting, if you know what you are reading already from other books.

9 3/4 Books containing transportation advice cannot always be relied upon to give accurate information about departure and arrival locations. An exception to this rule is the man sitting in seat 61.

10. Marx said: outside of a dog a book is the working man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read, and too expensive for the proletariat to afford lighting.

Ultimately if you cannot find a good book to read the best thing to do is write a book yourself and then read it. Everyone has got a book inside them, "but in most cases that's where it should stay" - Christopher Hitchens.

• Anders Andersen
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Indeed
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I like books with colourful illustrations. Nice sunshine, plenty of wildlife, kids laughing and playing while the adults are enjoying fruit platters in bright African garb. With just a little cult indoctrination added, along with a host of irrational and superstitious stories to induce fear and guilt, these kinds of books can make great bed time stories for children.

• stillin
    stillin

I like books. Put it in front of me and it's likely that I'll read it.

I like books that are written by people who research their subject; people who know what they are about.

I don't much care for books that have a transparent agenda. For example, all of the people of color, women, employees, whatever, are stupid, greedy, whatever. But the main character is such a smart, good- looking, clever whatever.

That all gets tiring.

I like historical fiction. It puts a little sugar-coating on my learning about real times that people went through.

I don't mind a forward or maybe an introduction by some well-respected author or scientist or authority-figure. Fine with me if his page number is 1 and the book starts on page 4. Who cares?

Anyhow, I like books, too. A good book is better than real life.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I like almost any book on evolution particularly the evolutionary-psychology ones.
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri
    Books heavy enough to hold a door open or sturdy enough to hold open a window or throw at a neighbors cat.
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

' ... Books about Jehovah's Witnesses fall into three categories...'

Books for Jehovah's Witnesses come in sets of three. Once you get half way through the first one you can immediately jump to half way through the third one. It will make complete sense. The second book is not necessary to read, in fact it is to be avoided,  as it will only add confusion to the final story. It may be used as a paper weight or to balance a table leg, however when not being read they should all be placed together and in order on a book shelf.

These sets are otherwise known as 'Overlapping Trilogies'.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

E-books are lousy for the beach, but okay for the airport, airplane, hotel pool area. You really need printed books for the beach so you can leave it there to mark your spot.

Paperbacks are great and portable, but after 3 or 4 people read them, the spine is so broken and pages may fall out. Who wants to read a book where pages may have fallen out?

If you must bring an e-book on vacation, then bring some magazines for the beach. They have short articles and you don't care if they get ruined or lost. Plus they have pretty pictures. My favorite is National Geographic. Please leave the boobs mag. at the hotel and stare at the live boobs on the beach.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    #7 is extremely good advice. Thank you.🔰

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit