Fishing and JW's???

by lurkernomore 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

So I was just reading a thread and came across a completely new JW 'rule', that of not being allowed to go fishing!.

At least it's new to me as I always enjoyed fishing as did others in my old congregation. Anyone else heard of this or had this imposed on them in they're JW lives?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    Please do not believe everything you are told. This is just plain old-fashioned stupidity.
  • fulano
    fulano

New????

We were never allowed go fishing unless it would be to obtain food. As a sport it was never "done".

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore
    Again seems like a variance from hall to hall. Stupid cult!
  • fulano
    fulano

More grom country to country I guess.

I was surprised that some missionaries who had served in Belize used to Carry a Shotgun with them when going into the Bush for a couple of days.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Not allowed to do anything that would limit the preaching time.

This can include

Golf

Fishing

Masturbating

Or any combination of the above

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Fishing and hunting is part of the culture around here (midWest US) and I've never heard it spoken against. I'm sure if someone went overboard with it that would be another matter.
  • fulano
    fulano
    Combining 1 and 3 seems a new handicap.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Fishing was frowned on where I came from in the UK. It could be justified if it was for food but not fly fishing for sport. People who liked to fish would tend not to advertise it. I don't think anybody ever got DFd for it
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Plenty of JWs fish and I even know a few that hunt, on the east coast of Australia.

Plenty of self-righteous JWs judge those who hunt or even fish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit