JW marriages: “They” looked good on paper.

by Londo111 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

I applaud anyone, male or female, who overcomes shallowness and looks at a person’s deeper qualities, especially in regard dating and marriage. The movie and fashion industry does much to institute shallowness to the point that, in my opinion, it promotes outright discrimination and judgmentalism even as they give lip service to tolerance.

On the other hand, among Jehovah’s Witnesses, there seem to be a preponderance of incompatible marriages. Of course, this may be impossible to quantify and among those mentally in, this would be heavily disputed, but I am convinced based on personal observation that this is indeed the case.

This is mainly due to a type of disguised shallowness. The main qualities that this environment promotes, in order to be of marriageable material, is:

(1) Being a baptized Jehovah’s Witness

(2) Not be marked or under reproof or restrictions

(3) Hours, hours, hours. Meetings, meetings, meetings. Comment frequently. Underline your magazine.

If a man is a ministerial servant or elder, or a woman is a pioneer, they are automatically viewed as a good potential mate. This has been reinforced by the words of Anthony Morris III at the US Branch visit: women should not marry a man who is not at least a ministerial servant. It was implied the marriage is doomed otherwise.

In some cases, the ONLY thing the couple has in couple is their religion and their standing in it. Women might gain status or prominence vicariously through their husbands…if he’s been appointed. If her husband is giving public talks, especially on assemblies, then she can point in pride and say, “That’s my husband.” To herself, she might feel, “He’s important. Therefore, I feel important through him.” Obviously, I can never speak from personal experience as a spouse of an elder, but I project this from being a son and grandson of elders. Lipservice is given to not being position-minded, but, in reality, it often does not often work that way.

There is no other way for a conscientious Witness to gain any sort of prominence. He cannot gain it through non-religious activities, say higher education or putting his full energies into career or other pursuits. Even though such a person might be sincere, they will eventually gain approval within the community that they cannot gain on the outside. This approval is addicting. The withdrawal of approval can hurt greatly.

But what often happens when one spouse learns the truth about the “truth”?

Let’s take the case of a man who learns the truth about the truth. He may look for ways to step back from the organization gradually and eventually fade. Perhaps, he will step down from his position and get few hours, skip an occasional meeting.

If he is an elder or a ministerial servant, this might well be difficult. Even if he is just a rank-and-file publisher, he cannot do this without notice from his spouse. Already, the one thing they had in common, the “zealousness” for organization activities is out the window. The JW mate now feels stress that her mate is not “putting the Kingdom first”. She may grieve at the loss of prominence. And she may be genuinely concerned about his “spiritual” welfare. Here, this man, who she married because of his organizational activities, is not “taking the lead spiritually” for the family. In the Witness mindset, this is the most important quality for husbands and now this most important quality seems to have disappeared. Sometimes it has truly proved to be “tribulation in the flesh” as the Witness mate lashes out at the one attempting to fade.

It goes without saying this is IF he keeps what he knows to himself. The moment he utters the slightest bit of TTATT, he has crossed the Rubicon. In most cases, the spouse rings the aposta-alarm, the elders are called in, and a storm erupts with the kind of fury that can never be undone. Too often, this results in the “spiritual endangerment” card being played and the marriage coming to an abrupt end.

Conversely, the Witness mate is not always the one that ends the marriage. In the course of being the organizer of an Ex-JW meetup group, I encountered those who left their Witness mate, or were in the process of planning to do so. I was merely the organizer of events, and not a trained marriage counselor, therefore it is beyond my scope to try to fix the situation or try to stop them. At most, I can offer what I know about the “truth about the truth” or point them to the work of licensed mental counselor Steven Hassan. Even though these situations were beyond my bounds, it really made me sad, especially because it brought up feelings from having gone through the end of my own marriage.

What drove former Witnesses to leave their mates? Once they came to the conclusion that the organization was not the truth, they realized they’d nothing in common with their spouse anymore. The SOLE basis of their marriage was the religion. It didn’t matter anymore if their husband was an elder or a ministerial servant or how many hours he put in every month.

One young lady I sat down with frankly said to me that the reason she married her husband was because “he looked good on paper”. Once she married him, she quickly found that he wasn’t the person she had expected.

The bottom line is that hours in field service, congregational activities, and a person’s standing in the organization has NOTHING to do with whether or not a person would make a good marriage mate. In fact, these things have to do with whether or not a person has a good heart or true spirituality.

I wish there was a silver bullet solution that would heal these marriages. Unfortunately, the bad advice from the organization has created slews of incompatible marriages for which there is no easy remedy. This might be especially so if the mate in the organization is resistant to marriage counseling.

Optimally, both the husband and the wife would learn the truth about the truth, but this is not often the case. Thankfully, some, who have a mate still in the organization, have been able to weather the storm. Some have helped their mates further down the road, through gradually dropping tidbits and seeds of thought that enabled the waking process. But perhaps it is the case that these couples had more in common in the first place besides loyalty to a religious organization.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

On the other hand, among Jehovah’s Witnesses, there seem to be a preponderance of incompatible marriages.

This happens from the prevailing consequences of making a firm stand that JWS are to only marry other devout JWS and they are not to have sex before marriage.

From that perspective its easy to see how so many JWS marriages fail.

Add the fact that many also fail because one partner realizes this religion is a contrite fraud, full of ignorance and corruption and even more divorces occur.

The fact remains that JWS in general have the same rate of divorce than non-jws , particularly in the under 25 age group.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

You implicitly touch on it, but another major factor is just the severe limitation of one's options due to the requirement to only date JWs. In my view, JW women are often forced into a very limited role - they are not allowed to develop interests or ambitions, not even to the already reduced extent that JW men are, because they can't progress in the organization beyond spending a lot of time recruiting. This is all well and good for the type of misogynistic, controlling and overbearing men that want a submissive wife that will simply obey him (this is also the type of man that does extraordinarily well in the org, it seems) but for men who truly want a partner and someone who thinks for themselves, it leaves few options. I'm sure women in the cult face similar difficulties finding a husband, probably in the opposite direction - I imagine it's difficult to find a JW man that really wants to treat his wife as an equal.

The dating requirements that ensure, if followed, that you will not be able to adequately evaluate compatibility prior to marriage (requirements of a chaperon and that sex is off the table during the dating are not healthy ways to find a marriage mate, in my view) further compound the problem that is caused by starting with the "on paper" requirements for a spouse that you described.

Then of course hormones tend to cause JWs to marry young when the rules are followed (or coerced to marry young when the rules are broken). Even if a JW can fight the hormones and not get in trouble, the fact that the culture is to be married before 25 results in a sense of urgency to find someone. You don't want to find yourself at 30 with your only dating prospects being 18 year old girls (creepy) or divorced women with kids (nothing against single mothers, but when you're 20 and looking at the future that seems like a prospect that should be avoided).

All this adds up to people marrying too young (before the brain is fully matured at around 25, the personality can continue to change drastically) and getting married to people they're often not compatible with. And this is all before one of them wakes up to TTATT.

My wife and I definitely had our share of common interests, as I was luckily smart enough not to restrict myself to someone that was super zealous and really look for some common ground. Of course that only goes so far, and we certainly have some pretty big incompatibilities. But upon waking up I'm finding that there's two major difficulties to the marriage that don't have to do with incompatibility that was apparent while I was a JW. For one thing, after waking up as a born-in, there is a normal (at least I hope it's normal) desire to reclaim your lost adolescence and really explore the world and life outside the bounds of the cult. They kept me so repressed for so long with so many rules and now that the arbitrary rules are gone, I want to explore and find my own rules and limits. If only one spouse is awake, this is a process that the still-in spouse is likely to be threatened by and resent. And, speaking for myself, its difficult not to be displeased with my wife's efforts to slow this process of discovery and growth.

Another issue that I have in my marriage due to waking up is my disgust at the cult that my wife remains involved in. It feels to me almost like I was raped by one of my wife's friends or family and upon telling her of this she only digs in and pursues a deeper connection with my attacker. It's difficult to get past her affiliation with the cult after I've given her every chance to wake up and see it for what it is. She values it more than me, and that's not supposed to happen in a marriage (to be fair I may be coming to the conclusion that I value my escape from the cult more than I do her). My wife is certainly loving and has made some effort...but I don't think she will ever leave and I'm not sure that anything short of that will be enough.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

the fact that the culture is to be married before 25 results in a sense of urgency to find someone

Yes good point OneEyedJoe.

Young people are pressured to get married out of the prevailing fact that everyone else is out their contained JWS social environment, mentally, emotionally and financially prepared or not.

That is why its quite common to JWS teenagers marring before the age of 20.

It was even younger back in the 1970's during my time.

Seeing adolescents marrying right out High school was quite common.

• steve2
    steve2

Very good OP and subsequent posts!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Yes, the dating rules became an ill foundation.

It was drilled home that I could not date before one was “ready” for marriage, especially financially ready to be a family “head”. On the other hand, college was a big no-no (up until the early 1990’s at least). Thus, in my early 20’s, I was between a rock and a hard place.

At the same time, there are strict rules for interacting with the opposite gender and the Young People Ask articles drummed this constantly. One cannot be “just friends” with anyone of the opposite gender. Even frequent calling (nowadays texting or emailing) is viewed as dating. But if you are not “ready” for dating, that is ready for marriage, then that rules that out. However, this is how young people learn to converse and interact with the opposite gender. Thus I did not go on my first date until I was 29 and that ended up being the person I married.

In reality, dating when young is a learning experience, full of trying and failing. Along the way, people learn to social and talk both with platonic and romantic intent. Eventually this equips a person for a long term relationship.

• TD
    TD
    The main qualities that this environment promotes, in order to be of marriageable material, is:
    (1) Being a baptized Jehovah’s Witness
    (2) Not be marked or under reproof or restrictions
    (3) Hours, hours, hours. Meetings, meetings, meetings. Comment frequently. Underline your magazine.

"Spiritually minded" JW males might flatter themselves into believing otherwise, but conformity is not attractive. --Not in any social group.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Londo - you make another really good point about dating when young being an important learning process. The issue with dating that you describe, wherein friendships with the opposite sex is forbidden as is dating before you're looking to get married right away, were big factors in my nearly leaving the cult in my late teens. In the end, I let my father manipulate me into doubling down and ended up in the cult for another decade.

Another thing I would add regarding the so-called "casual dating" that is so vilified by the cult is that it can teach you what sorts of feelings and desires you will have and how to handle them before you are actually dating someone with the intent to marry them. Kids can easily confuse lust and hormone driven feelings for love and it has been shown that in this period a person's ability to plan long-term is significantly compromised. As a result, many JWs find themselves dating for their first time in their very late teens or early 20s, and without any past experience to show them that they may not be thinking especially clearly, they get married after 3-6 months of dating while still in the honeymoon period. They believe that no problem will be insurmountable for them, and all those other romantic notions and they have no experience to keep these thoughts in check. Reality, though, is not usually so idealistic.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There's a saying, "False humility is the worst form of conceit." When a human is not really attracted to another human in every way, but marries them anyway because "Looks don't matter, money doesn't matter, it will be all good in Paradise", that's conceited behavior.

"Look at me! I'm so not "shallow" like worldly people! Sure, she looks like a Water Buffalo, but she's spiritual!" Or " Yeah, he's old and bald and has E.D, but he's an Elder and Jeehoober will make him hot in the new world, plus looks don't matter. Only shallow people care!.", is what holier-than-thou, people who even lie to themselves say about such things.

There are so many unhappy hot Sisters, and Brothers.. I'm not happy, I'm not fulfilled by any means. I got married young in the cult. I've been married longer than I've been single! I've went to bed horny for decades, and sad because I was flat out rejected. Why? Am I ugly or mean? HELL NO!! I LOOK GOOD!! I'm nice. I will do whatever needs to be done in the bedroom! I don't expect a perfect body either! I just won't worship the ORG!! NEVER!!!!!! NEVER!!!!! EVER!!!!

My marriage could be good, if the F***ING cult would die!!! I might actually have some happiness and fulfillment, but NO!!!!! Instead I have to constantly kill every desire, every dream, feel guilty about wanting something, anything more..... I'm not a cheater, so I'm destined to die unhappy....... Some day, I'll be really old and alone. I'll think back at all the times I could have, should have, but didn't. Then I'll draw my last breath.

DD

• just fine
    just fine

I think when you are not allowed to be your true self, and are obsessed with pretending to be something you are not, there is no way a marriage could be fulfilling.

I am so glad that I didn't get married until after I left. I have been married for more than 15 years and love my husband more today than ever. We also are able to let each other grow and learn and change without the confines of a cult. I know I wouldn't have the opportunity to explore different interests if I had married a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit