Brave New W0rld of Education - The Regressive Left

by cofty 25 Replies latest social current

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I didn't care for it. Yes, of course there are people that go too far in promoting a liberal agenda, just as there are people that go to far in promoting a right wing agenda. To point out the excesses of the fringe is easy to do, but at the same time these obvious examples of absurd ideologies are not usually representative of either side. It's great for comedy, not so great for trying to bridge differences.

When you hold up examples of people that got carried away by a concept you take the easy way out to put down those whose ideas differ from you and do nothing to advance political discourse. Most people are neither to the far right or to the far left, but somewhere to the left or right of middle. I would rather see the discussion start there, then work on finding common ground. Then people might learn something instead of getting defensive and shutting down.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

If anyone is anti-science it is the Republican party. This is a quote from their platform in the state of Texas:

2012 STATE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

• DJS
    DJS

NeveraDub,

"For 20 years I listened to talk radio in the U.S., being indoctrinated to see the left just as depicted in this movie."

Twenty years of Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage and Matt Drudge? Just shoot me.

I avoid nut jobs of any persuasion, liberal, conservative, religious, conspiracy theorists, or psychotic girls (unless they are really, really hot). Having said that, I have found it much more difficult to find left wing nut jobs; I rarely stumble across them.

I've taught at two colleges, and my experience is vastly different. We had a few right wing nut jobs. They didn't fare well as could be expected in a collegiate environment. But I do not recall any left wing nut jobs, and the focus of both colleges was to have open minded, fair and respectful discussions about all topics. I kept my personal political and religious views to myself; I believe most of the other profs did the same.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, Cofty.

I'm in a part of my uni where the speakers have been disabled so I couldn't watch the film ('disabled' wasn't a microaggression by me against any forum members/lurkers that happen to be differently-abled ).

I read the link and thought it interesting. Surely one of the main points of uni is to have your worldview politely tested and questioned, and for the holder of their worldview to learn to properly defend it?

I read a couple of good articles in The Spectator dealing with British students and 'safe space' - one was some months ago by Brendan O'Neill, the other was a response to the banning of Germaine Greer from a uni campus.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/11/free-speech-is-so-last-century-todays-students-want-the-right-to-be-comfortable/

• done4good
    done4good

I have not watched this yet, however in my experience, extreme leftists are rare. Those with left leaning views tend to avoid herd mentality inherently. There are always exceptions though.

The MO of the right is all about ideology, and they tend to look for these one-offs and exploit them as a diversion tactic.

d4g

• never a jw
    never a jw

DJS,

Actually, I listened to a local station in L.A.where we got Sean Insanity (from Fox) and Mark Levine along with the local hosts.

Left wing nuts?? Yes, there are plenty too. It's rather easy to identify them. They want to double the minimum wage because the actual minimum wage is not enough to support a family. They are vying for the nomination of the Democratic party. And yes I have plenty of negative things to say about some of the buffoonery on the Republican side. As much as I dislike Hillary, she is becoming the lesser of many evils. Politics for me is so bad that, despite being an atheist since I was in my early teens, I rather read religious studies than watch or read about U.S. politics.

• Laika
    Laika
    I don't think empathy is regressive, of course people can take things too far, but white male privilege is a real thing, and to be blunt I think a lot of this pushback comes from people who are upset at having their privileges exposed...

http://lithub.com/men-explain-lolita-to-me/

There has been a lot said this year about college students—meaning female college students, black students, trans students—and how they’re hypersensitive and demanding that others be censored. That’s why The Atlantic, a strange publication that veers from progressive to regressive and back again like a weighty pendulum recently did a piece on “The Coddling of the American Mind.” It tells us that, “Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Maher have publicly condemned the oversensitivity of college students, saying too many of them can’t take a joke,” with the invocation of these two white guys as definitive authorities.

But seriously, you know who can’t take a joke? White guys. Not if it implicates them and their universe, and when you see the rage, the pettiness, the meltdowns and fountains of male tears of fury, you’re seeing people who really expected to get their own way and be told they’re wonderful all through the days. And here, just for the record, let me clarify that I’m not saying that all of them can’t take it. Many white men—among whom I count many friends (and, naturally, family members nearly as pale as I)—have a sense of humor, that talent for seeing the gap between what things are supposed to be and what they are and for seeing beyond the limits of their own position. Some have deep empathy and insight and write as well as the rest of us. Some are champions of human rights.

But there are also those other ones, and they do pop up and demand coddling. A group of black college students doesn’t like something and they ask for something different in a fairly civil way and they’re accused of needing coddling as though it’s needing nuclear arms. A group of white male gamers doesn’t like what a woman cultural critic says about misogyny in gaming and they spend a year or so persecuting her with an unending torrent of rape threats, death threats, bomb threats, doxxing, and eventually a threat of a massacre that cites Marc LePine, the Montreal misogynist who murdered 14 women in 1989, as a role model. I’m speaking, of course, about the case of Anita Sarkeesian and Gamergate. You could call those guys coddled. We should. And seriously, did they feel they were owed a world in which everyone thought everything they did and liked and made was awesome or just remained silent? Maybe, because they had it for a long time."

• never a jw
    never a jw
    It's always the other guy who is hypersensitive. Ooops ...It's always the other gal who is hypersensitive...better
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yeah, thanks for putting everone straight, Laika.

The regressive Left is largely a figment of my imagination and I plus other white, hetero-normative, cis-gendered males are to blame.

Glad you sorted that out ...

• azor
    azor

Extreme leftists/regressive left may be rare in the general populace. They are not rare when it comes to the policy wonks, media, and famous activists. It seems that only the 2 extremes get a voice in the public sphere. The regressive left takes more time blaming and attacking their own county then terrorists and fundamentalists.

They have a huge influence on policy and weaken our freedoms. They also pave the way for the extreme right to take over. The regressive left is causing tremendous harm to our civilization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit