Brave New W0rld of Education - The Regressive Left

by cofty 25 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

I found this to be a thought-provoking film on the trend in higher education.

Oubliette drew my attention to a brilliant article recently called "The Coddling of the American Mind". Please have a look at the film, click the link and check out the links in the article. I would love to hear your thoughts.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Yes I heard a good discussion about this on radio 4. Apparently an academic at a leading American university has written a book about this mind "coddling". One of the triggers for this train of thought was a viral of a colleague being verbally attacked and called a racist by a student.I think the scene was triggered by a discussion over Halloween costumes of all things. The students had put out flyers requesting that costumes be toned down in order not to offend delicate sensibities.

Anyway basically this coddling has resulted in a kind of thought fascism on American campuses where new or different ideas are stifled by the radical left if I can call it that. I will watch the vid ....funnily enough some sites claim that is the case here..that there is an orthodoxy of thought on JWnet and if it gets broached it results in at least a dressing down and occasionally being banned.

• ihunt
    ihunt

Too true...

Reminds me of this

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25264/

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

OK watched it. Pretty poor.. Heavy handed and predictable.

However we can all complain about this stuff but since my sons just been diagnosed with dyslexia I am probably not the best person to give an opinion...I say thank goodness for readjustment scoring to make things fairer for those with a disability.

But I get that average people with average backgrounds may be disadvantaged. In my experience its still who you know and how personable or likeable you are that guarantees success. I call it the David Nivan effect.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Great short film - kind of a nightmarish version of the issues the authors, Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt, raise in the article.

Thanks for sharing.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I did laugh when I saw this

My safe space

• JeffT
    JeffT

I am very concerned that our schools are shutting down the free flow of ideas. The correct solution to ideas you don't like is to argue against them with better ideas. If I wanted to get an education that meant regurgitating stuff without thinking about if for myself, I could go back to the Kingdom Hall.

Diogenesister, our granddaughter was diagnosed with dyslexia last year. After a year of working with a physician and working a tutoring program on the computers she is now reading and writing fluently.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    The correct solution to ideas you don't like is to argue against them with better ideas.

• azor
    azor

I was born dyslexic as well. They wanted to hold me back in kindergarten. My dad refused and sent me to one of those private jw schools. When I came out I was thoroughly brain washed, but my reading skills were 2 years above my grade level.

My son struggles with his reading and writing due to the chemo he is on. I would be appalled and fight any program to lower standards. We have applied for presonal aid which he will be receiving next year and I'm confident he will catch up and surpass his classmates within a year.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    For 20 years I listened to talk radio in the U.S., being indoctrinated to see the left just as depicted in this movie. Then three years in this forum helped me get rid of the conservative right wing indoctrination. Now I am being pushed back in the direction towards right wingers. Nooooooooooooooooo! I can't take it anymore. The hell with right wing nuts, the hell with left wing nuts. I am going the way of the classics in ancient Athens. Nothing in excess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit