Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Many JWs while waking up from the cult decide to research not only the cult and its history but also the Bible and its validity. Then many decide that the Bible is not a special book after all and become agnostics or atheist.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Because I don't want a personal relationship with a homicidal maniac

We are to understand from the Bible that Yahweh is the greatest

Genocidal murderer in history and makes Stalin Hitler and Pol Pot look

like rank wanna bees by comparison

:0)

• tepidpoultry
  • tepidpoultry
  • Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

agnostics admit they don't know or may I submit don't want to know And why should they make a choice I'm reminded of a story where the Nazis gave their victims a choice right or left door not knowing both of which meant death which they accepted cause they told themselves it was their own fault for choosing the wrong door

• smiddy
    smiddy

Coming to the conclusion that JW`s didnt have a clue what the Bible taught because of their many false predictions ,changes in organizational procedures etc, I decided to examine the Bible and what it said more closely without the WT influence .

Doing so I found absurditys ,scientific inaccuracies ,contradictions in scripture,and that the accepted Bible Cannon of today was determined by Apostate christians of the 3rd Century or if you like" Christians" so removed from being an eyewitness by 3 centuries .

Yet Christianity is based on these series of books that make up the Bible of today all determined by imperfect humans and not by any input from any God,

No wonder I`m an Atheist.

• cofty
    cofty
    the path of Atheism and agnosticism means figuring life out on your own.

No it means basing your beliefs on objective evidence.

Faith means pretending to know things for which there is insufficient evidence.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I noticed that from the data in the Pew Report of 2014, statistically you are more likely to turn into an atheist if you were born a JW, than if born in any other religion. I don't know the reason, but I suspect if you end up working out that one version of Christianity is just a scam and fraud, it is not much of a leap to think that all versions are.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think it's because basically JWs like certainty, and many ex-JWs simply convert the certainty of knowing there is a God who will soon provide paradise into the certainty that there is no God and they have to provide their own meaning in life.

The more difficult and courageous path is to explore and get to grips with the limits of what we can know and the uncertainty involved in all sorts of human knowledge.

There is also the aspect that JWs enjoy the sensation of thinking they know things other people don't know. They have special knowledge from God. There's a similar tendency among some atheists and self-proclaimed rationalists, or "brights" as some have modestly labelled themselves. So from that point of view you can see why strident atheism is psychologically appealing to many ex-JWs. Although the content of the belief has changed, they still get to perceive themsleves as knowing better than other people.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Like I said I learned from studying Campbell that the path of Atheism and agnosticism means figuring life out on your own.

Yeah I love it, you should try it! Thinking is my main hobby! Then go online or read other's ideas in books and see how your thoughts compare. Very stimulating. You know the best thing? Authors won't shun me if I disagree with them, some will even let me email them!

Like no extra boost to certain insights, like rocky road.

No I listen to a lot of insights from others then I make up my own mind. I'm allowed to do that you see, I'm over eighteen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit