Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Why do you say I'm afraid of the unknown? I feel I handle uncertainty pretty well. I'm not a Christian to be saved or necessarily to glorify Jah's name. I made my choice because of the benefits of having faith. Being saved would be nice. And I think it'd be very righteous to glorify God. But I'm not quite there.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Whoa didn't mean to be condescending. I repent for that. I don't think there is anything wrong with being atheist or agnostic. Like I said I learned from studying Campbell that the path of Atheism and agnosticism means figuring life out on your own. Like no extra boost to certain insights, like rocky road.

What reason did you choose the path you chose after leaving?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why do you say I'm afraid of the unknown?..

Agnostics admit they don`t know..

You said that`s like jumping into a fire..

for those who become atheist or agnostic. I It just seems to me that it might be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire,

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

It is so annoying to be around a person that believe they know it all, it's refreshing to say "I don't know the answers for all of life mysteries".

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I bet. I've learned from Jdub studies how know it all other Christian denominations can be too. So insecure. I didn't learn it from their teachings but from how controlling watchtower is. I talked with some Baptists and could see the insecurities there too

• A Ha
    A Ha

For me, it was quite shocking to realize that the JWs did not have The Truth. After I left, I set out to discover which religion did.

After a little while, I realized that "Which religion has The Truth?" was the wrong question. The more basic question that needed to be answered was, "Does God care which religion we belong to?" followed by "Does God even want us to be a part of a religion?"

After a little while, I realized that the more basic question was, "Does God want or need to be worshiped?"

After a little while, I realized that the more basic question was, "Does God exist?" Eventually I was able to answer, "No."

When you speak of a "path" I think my path was, paraphrasing Bertrand Russell, "to believe as many true things as possible, and as few false things as possible." I didn't become an atheist because I thought it was more fulfilling or rewarding than theism. When I looked at the evidence and proofs for God, they lacked weight and I had no choice in the matter. I can't choose to believe in God any more than I can choose to believe in unicorns and fairies.

• Scully
    Scully

The way I look at it, as an atheist, there isn't any particularly compelling evidence for the existence of a god or gods.

Several hundreds of years ago, the Greeks believed in their pantheon of gods, and the Romans and Norse had their own pantheons of gods. These were their religious beliefs. As time moved forward, those beliefs were debunked and the religions were relegated to the realm of mythology.

Do you believe that Zeus is real? or Thor? or Lord Brahma? or Vishnu? If you don't, then you are atheist with regard to those old gods.

You simply believe in one more god than I do.

• Scully
    Scully

Cassaruby: I learned from studying Campbell that the path of Atheism and agnosticism means figuring life out on your own.

Frankly "figuring life out on your own" is a damn sight better than being spoon-fed The Milk of The Word™ as the WT promotes.

But, truly, that is NOT what happens when you become an atheist. I've learned a great deal from others. I went back to school and learned the skill of critical thinking, which is basically how to sort through the reams of BS that other people are trying to sell you. It's embarrassing to look back at the black-and-white, super simplistic, child-like way I viewed the world as a young adult, and it bothers me that there are people who feel as though I've betrayed *them* for wanting more than that, when in actuality, they betrayed themselves and me by wanting to stay in that restrictive mindset, and not having anyone buck the system.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I plan on telling them that I need time to study the Bible on my own before I make a choice soon, just to let them down easy.

Oh man that's when they will frown and give a big why ?, reading the bible by yourself without guidance of the WTS you will never interpret or understand it properly.

Eventually at some time they will ask if you accept that the GB or FDSL (JWS) is god's solemnly chosen people on earth to dispense true bible truths and accurate bible understanding.

Your answer will evoke whether they will continue studying with you.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

It's OK. Fun while it lasted

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit