Why do Americans have to pay so much for College???

by RubaDub 62 Replies latest jw friends

• hybridous
    hybridous

Is part of the problem the social prestige connected with having a fancy university degree? Does that drive up the cost? Do universities charge what the market will bear?

THIS RIGHT HERE^^^

It's not $50k per year because it's Harvard...

It 'Haaaahh - vuuhhd' because it's 50k per year

• hoser
    hoser

@hybridous

Does a $50,000 per year Harvard degree get you a better paying job than a $10,000 per year community college degree? If so, how many years does it take to recoup the extra tuition costs?

If Harvard degrees pay better dividends then try to get schooled at Harvard.

• hybridous
    hybridous

Does a $50,000 per year Harvard degree get you a better paying job than a $10,000 per year community college degree? If so, how many years does it take to recoup the extra tuition costs?

If Harvard degrees pay better dividends then try to get schooled at Harvard.

Oh, I agree that this analysis must be made from a real, hard 'cost vs. benefits' perspective. Of course, once you do that, the whole scam begins to shake apart. So much of the accepted narrative revolves around fogging up that perspective.

Expensive University/college makes folks smarter and better earners the same way that putting a bunch of short people on a basketball team makes them taller.

I have a great career in a hard science. The best and most essential parts of my education were acquired at Junior College. My employer paid for the remainder of my degree, so no risk to me. They have already recouped the expenses.

You gotta have a plan for yourself...

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

As high as tuition is if the govt. Starts covering it you'll see the college's doubling and tripling tuitions. And then the system will go bankrupt

@nowwhat? That's the other problem! High tuitions and profit - where does it end?

Profit is not the problem. Profit is a very healthy market signal. It’s purpose is to clearly indicate to the entrepreneur that resources are being used wisely. Conversely, losses are a clear market signal that resources are being wasted. A business incurring loss is a healthy thing (from the perspective of resource allocation). The business will have to change and stop wasting resources, or go out of business and stop wasting resources.

The issue here is that all of the normal, important market signals have been disabled by government funding. The government floods the market with funds, and colleges aren’t seeing the normal loss side of the equation. They aren’t discouraged to limit these wasteful gender feminist dance studies programs. In a market, they could not support the nonsense. People wouldn’t pay for it. To the contrary, the government money isn’t stopping, and the schools have little choice other than create these low IQ programs to absorb the demand.

Where does it stop? It stops when the government money stops. Prices will fall, quality will again rise. Until then, prices will rise and quality will fall - just like healthcare. #LookAtSimonsChart

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Employers are at fault for the insane college costs. They drive most high school kids to go to college to get a degree, even if they are meant for a manual or vocational training. Colleges increase costs because there is a high demand for a college education.

Employers do demand competent, educated employees. Please understand : competence and education are almost mutually exclusive. They overlap only because competent individuals seek a higher education in an attempt to make their labor more valuable for the previously mentioned employers seeking competent educated employees. How can it be otherwise? Do you think employers should seek incompetence?

The problem here is government interference in the market.

• hoser
    hoser

Well said mr mustard. You have clearly progressed from sleeping in the park and shaving in the dark.

Government interference is what ruins businesses and a healthy economy.

Our new finance minister much to the chagrin of the lefty’s has changed the funding model for universities in our province. The government will only fund programs where there is clear indication that the economy needs that training. For example our province needs 10,000 truck drivers. There is funding of $5000 of the $9000 it costs for training. If you want your gender studies degree you can pay it out of your pocket.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

MeanMrMustard:

I agree that colleges have no incentive to lower tuition & fees if the Federal government increases the supply of funds to attend their schools. It comes down to supply & demand.

Employers do demand competent, educated employees. Please understand competence and education are almost mutually exclusive.

Would you say that the following careers ( that do not require a college degree) are employees who would be considered not competent?

Would someone with a college degree be more competent in these fields because they have a piece of paper?

National Average Salary: $67,464 per year

Requirements: You must have completed your high school diploma or equivalent, be at least 23 years old, obtain a commercial pilot license, obtain a first-class medical certificate and pass flight airline-specific exams.

National Average Salary: $41,449 per year

Requirements: You must have completed your high school diploma or equivalent, be at least 18 years of age, have a driver’s license in the state where you will work, pass written and physical tests and complete fire academy training. Some states may also require firefighters to earn an EMT license.

National Average Salary: $13.56 per hour

Requirements: You must have completed your high school diploma or equivalent, EMT basic training and pass a national or state certification exam. Some employers may require advanced training.

• hoser
    hoser

Truck driver Western Canada. $100,000 CAD per year

Farm equipment operator $35.00 per hour

Industrial Electrician $50.00 per hour

None require degree but a lot of grunt work required.

But we still need college folks to tell the rest of us dumb fucks how to live

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Rules and Regulations:

Yes, those fields require competence. The fact that they don’t require a college degree only bolsters my point. You understood what I was saying, right?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Hell, the guy that drives around the “stool bus” and pumps septic tanks makes a shit ton of money (pun intended).

No college. Competent. Shit ton of money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit