Judge sanctions WTS - $4k per day penalty for not producing sex abuse documents

by Simon 221 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    The Elders who gave evidence were not charged for failing in their duty of care and protection of children by not reporting dangers of a sexual nature to ninors once they knew about it ?

Smidd, have you not read legislation posted by Richard Oliver? Read legislation.

I have stopped counting how many times Richard Oliver posted, that in the Conti case, the Appeals Court ruled that WT has no duty to warn and protect. Conti did not appeal to a higher Court.

Richard Oliver, many thanks for the valuable information that you post. I don't think that people here realize that you are not posting your feelings about the cases, you post legal opinions and legislation and facts -- not feelings.

And what I mean by legal opinions, I don't mean the opinions of the advocates.

• cha ching
    cha ching

I read the Conti case... When the 'worldly' lawyer for the WT argued to the 3 judges, "you can't expect these elders to warn everyone, do you know what you'll do to companies like Coca Cola? You will set a precedent. If there is a pedophile there, they would have to notify all the workers, it would cost money and take time, how can they do that?" (not exact words, but that is what it boiled down to)

When the judges bought into that idea, I wondered, "What about California's Megan's Law? Pedophiles already have to register where they live, are put on a list that potential buyers of homes can check before they move to a neighborhood."

The people who work at Coca Cola can already go look on a list to see where pedophiles live.

Number one, little kids don't work for Coca Cola. There ARE little kids at the Kingdom Hall. The lawyer compared apples to oranges.

Number two, why shouldn't elders turn in the pedophiles to the police, the police investigate (like they do for every other religion) and when the alleged perpetrator is convicted, they are put on Megan's list.

I believe these judges dropped the ball. They missed an opportunity to make things right, and follow the not only 'spirit of the law', but a law that already existed.... Megan's.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I can't believe the worldly JW lawyer actually tried the "what about pedos at a Coca Cola company" spiel. You are right on cha ching, kids don't work at Coca Cola, but they are at the KH!

Hopefully the judge didn't fall for that.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    deleted
  • keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hello,

As reported by jwsurvey the fine is now at 995 740 $ so neard of the million $ !

And just for a little paper that the WT have !

how dangerous is this paper for the WT ... that they prefer to keep it and pay the fine ?

• cha ching
    cha ching

So sorry, LevelthePlayingField.... Yes, it worked on those judges.

I was so irritated, it came out of the blue, I don't think Rick Simons was prepared for that kind of JW thinking (from a non-JW lawyer)

That is what got the WT off the hook for "being responsible to report", the old "What would Coca Cola do?" trick... sad.

• karter
    karter

Landy. The ARC makes recomendatios to parliament to change laws ect.

They have no power as such but their recommendations are taken very seriously.

One of the judges said to an Elder on the stand "Things are going to have to change".... lets hope so.

Karter.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Yet still it drags on .and on and on.

I know legal matters take time , nothing happens overnight in a legal sense does it .

• Landy
    Landy
    Yup.
    I'd call that authority.

The point is, once they've attended and given 'evidence' the commission had no power to punish or effect change, other than through publicity.

• Landy
    Landy
    Landy. The ARC makes recomendatios to parliament to change laws ect.

They aren't going to make JW specific laws.

I think the best that can be hoped for is a law that requires all people in a position of religious authority to go through criminal record checks and perhaps safeguarding training. While that would be an excellent outcome I won't hold my breath.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit