Judge sanctions WTS - $4k per day penalty for not producing sex abuse documents

by Simon 221 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. Richard's post...

Actually, I didn't call it a court.

In fact, I specifically acknowledged that it was not a court.

(BTW, just because it isn't a court, doesn't mean it has no authority.)

• Landy
    Landy
    BTW, just because it isn't a court, doesn't mean it has no authority.)

And what authority does the ARC have? AFAIK (and I could be wrong) it can only make recommendations which organisations and governments are free to ignore.

It can compel people to attend as witnesses under fear of a fine but that's where their power pretty much stops.

• freddo
    freddo

@Landy

It can also imprison them for six months if they don't appear.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yup.

I'd call that authority.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

about that authority -

Standing Commissions refer matters and may initiate prosecutions

Many governments have established standing commissions against crime or corruption in an attempt to deal with crime and corruption in government and the public sector.

Although not Royal Commissions, these bodies have been granted similarly broad powers to compel the production of documents and the attendance of witnesses. Moreover, these bodies are encouraged to refer matters to the relevant authorities or, in some cases, initiate prosecution of individuals based on the evidence presented to the commission.

If you receive a summons, it is highly recommended that legal advice be sought. Telling anybody apart from your lawyers that you are being investigated or have received a summons can itself be a serious criminal offence. You should check the fine print on any notice you receive from the investigator carefully.

So what does it all mean?

If you receive a summons from any commission or are required to produce documents, it will not go away. It should receive the highest priority.

It is important to seek legal advice or representation prior to taking any action. Such advice should assist you to preserve your rights throughout the process and offer protection from potentially adverse consequences, while still complying with the requirements of the commission.

Take care in discussing the summons or evidence with parties who are not your lawyers.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Tomorrow is the filing deadline for Watchtower first brief in the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals for California. It will be interesting to read the full brief.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

marked

• smiddy
    smiddy

So a judge imposes a $4ooo dollar a day penalty for not producing sex abuse documents and it is now 8 months ? since that court a san diego Superior Court Judge made this judgement against them ?

And still nothing is done ?

Forgive me for being cynical but I see this all the time

Threats are there by the authorities , the WT wears them down in time and nothing is done to bring the WT to account for their actions.

No wonder I am cynical to whatever is said about bringing the WT /JW religion to account for their abhorrent treatment of child sexual abuse victims by not reporting any of these 1006 cases to the appropiate authorities.

that means up to over 3018 Elders who were privvy to this information and never let any authority know about these abuses.

And nobody is prosecuted ? After all this time ?

G.Jackson was not charged ? Vincent Toole was not Charged ? for giving false evidence misleading the ARC ? The Elders who gave evidence were not charged for failing in their duty of care and protection of children by not reporting dangers of a sexual nature to ninors once they knew about it ?

Their are so many things they could have been prosecuted against ,but nothing was done ,Why ?

you tell me.

Thats why I am a cynic.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ smiddy...

They're civil cases, not criminal cases.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Does seem really odd that the judge still hasn't raised the daily amount yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit