Is proselytizing less condescending when evolutionists do it?

by paul from cleveland 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    No amount of copy and paste about our DNA or common ancestor and whatever which change the fact in a relatively short period of time or milli-second in evolutionary terms can explain who one species went from cave paintings to putting a man on the moon.

You need to think deeper about time, you seem to be disconnected. Human technology advancement was pretty much a flat line until the last 200 years, and shot up incredibly in the last 70 years. We didn't go from cave painting to the moon so quickly. Also contrary to popular theist belief humans have been around much longer than 6000 years. Homo sapiens are about what? 100,000 years old? Can you even grasp the changes that go on over 100,000 years of homo sapiens much less the staggering 4.5 billion years of earth itself????

you have made my head hurt...

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Also, my Atheist family and friends seem to have much more varied (or highly challenging and focused) activities and interests in their lives. They work hard, play hard. And find delight in the exchange of ideas, experiences and sharing of themselves and their time.

They just don't seem interested keep banging their heads or fists at someone who doesn't want to hear opposing thoughts of view.

That's been my experience, anyway.

On the other hand, my JW family and (former)friends... Well, you all know how THAT is...

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

People need to remember this is a discussion forum.

If someone posts anything (even non religious) its fair to expect debate and discussion.

That continues to perplex me about everyone that feels "attacked"

• Earnest
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

Beliefs don't change facts. If you are rational facts should change your beliefs.

This is not just about religion but everything in life. Believe what you like. Facts are facts. That's not porselityzing

• Giordano
    Giordano

From the Pew Survey: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/05/7-facts-about-atheists/

In the 2014 Religious Landscape Study, self-identified atheists were asked how often they share their views on God and religion with religious people. Only about one-in-ten atheists (9%) say they do at least weekly, while roughly two-thirds (65%) say they seldom or never discuss their views on religion with religious people. By comparison, 26% of those who have a religious affiliation share their views at least once a week with those who have other beliefs; 43% say they seldom or never do.

...............Three-in-ten (31%) say they feel a deep sense of spiritual peace and well-being at least weekly. A similar share (35%) often think about the meaning and purpose of life. And roughly half of all atheists (54%) frequently feel a deep sense of wonder about the universe, up from 37% in 2007. In fact, atheists are more likely than U.S. Christians to say they often feel a sense of wonder about the universe (54% vs. 45%).

• talesin
    talesin
    Would it be useful to have a short series of evolution 'postcards'? Just the main bullet points in a short word, pig picture format?

Nic, I think that's a good idea. Stuff that doesn't make folks feel defensive,,, perhaps easy facts that can be googled and researched? Now, that's what I'm talking about ... brainstorming. : ))

EDIT: Earnest, yes, that's the ticket. : D

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

paul from cleveland - "Is proselytizing less condescending when evolutionists do it?"

Probably.

It's way funnier watching someone going door-to-door with Darwin's Origin of Species, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit