Is proselytizing less condescending when evolutionists do it?

by paul from cleveland 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Is it just me?
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    It isn't proselytising.
  • paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

what isn't?

Do you mean it's not proselytizing when it's "The Truth"?

• JRK
    JRK

I do not like being preached to by theists or atheists. It makes my ass twitch.

JK

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Laying out the facts of evolution. There is no coercion, no obligation on the hearer, no threat of punishment or promise of reward.

I'm assuming your question is a reference to Cofty's recent series of topics? If so, why would you consider that proselytising?

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Yes, it was triggered by Cofty's series of topics but not just his. I couldn't articulate the uneasy feelings I had every time I saw "Evolution is a Fact #" until I saw the thread "How do you feel about the expression "The Truth"?" I realize it's the same feeling.

I'm still trying to find the words... Closed minded arrogance? I'm right you're wrong? You're stupid if you don't believe like I do? These descriptions aren't exactly representing my feelings but they are something along these lines.

I'm not speaking of Cofty as a person. I enjoy his posts very much. It's just a certain mindset that blindsides me from time to time.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Fair enough Paul. So how did you come to realise that what we all here once called 'The Truth' turned out in fact to be false?

I do understand. Coming from a creationist background, evolution will at first seem jarring and uncomfortable but put the effort in and at least you'll be more sure of your own convictions.

And yes, it is true. No condescension intended.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I see you added two final paragraphs while I was replying. I doubt anyone, Cofty included, has called you stupid. Some religious beliefs are stupid; Noah's ark and the flood, Adam and Eve etc but well, how can I say that politely?

Also, some claims are factually correct while others are incorrect. If you read that as "I'm right your wrong, closed minded arrogance" there's little anyone can do about it.

Research the facts, test the claims. Don't take Cofty's word for anything, or mine or the Watchtower's or Jesus'.

Good luck, we're on the same side you know.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    I was never fully convinced "the truth" was the truth when I was in although I didn't share my misgivings until the end. Now that I'm out I still don't know for a fact that it isn't true. I know myself well enough to know I can never believe anything enough to declare it a fact to myself. When I was in my continual prayer was for more faith. I will never "know".
  • paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    Thank you! Yes, of course we're on the same side! That's why I feel free to express myself. Regarding Cofty's evolution posts, my brain goes blank reading them. I can not understand them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit