"But WHY would you want to know those things??"

by stuckinarut2 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I ran into an older sister who has always been very sweet.

It was a friendly chat...yet she pushed for a reason why my family have been missing from meetings for some time. The question was deflected, until it just had to be said: "Well, there have been some troubling and disturbing issues about the society especially the way things were handled during the Royal Commission, as well as many other issues".

She quickly cut in and said "But why would you want to know these things? Its best not to research and look at those sort of things - so we don't get upset!"

It struck me how the average witness lives in ignorance...WILLFUL ignorance....

• zeb
    zeb

Wilful ignorance and spirituality the strength and depth of Kleenex.

This is a person who has never discussed with anyone any cause, situation or art or background or profession out of their own thinking at all without instantly making a run for the wt box of quotes. Sadly, due to respect due to age they have influenced others to be as superficial.

So she pushed for a reason (in other words was nosy) and when she got it ran like the wind. Now she has something to tell the others and then further reflect on what the gb has said.

• kairos
    kairos

Sounds like you met my wife...

---

I cannot explain or even comprehend how anyone with the internet can refuse to be educated.

I remember a short time ago someone suggested, when running into an active JW, to ask: "are you still a JW?"

When they say, "Of course!"

Our response would then be: "Don't you have the internet?"

---

I feel like a fool for avoiding research for so long.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

She quickly cut in and said "But why would you want to know these things? Its best not to research and look at those sort of things - so we don't get upset!"

It struck me how the average witness lives in ignorance...WILLFUL ignorance....

.......................Image result for willful ignorance

• tiki
    tiki

Why would you want to know.....how about because you have a sense of justice and equity and have empathy for abuse victims.

But delusion must be a far more comfortable place. Deny the existence of reality so you don't get "upset". Pathetic.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

So awkward when you meet kindly older ones who, at this point in their life, it wouldn't be that productive for them to leave ...exception to that being of course informing them about the ARC , as you did, cos the kids safety trumps even their needs as lonely old folk.

We have to keep telling them though, cos when the crap hits the fan, and it WILL, they will all turn around and say " BUT WHY DID NOBODY TELL US ABOUT ALL THIS!!"

• stephanie61092
    stephanie61092

That's how my first conversation with my only friend still in the org went (I posted about it the other week). When I told her my concerns with the society and the ARC, she hadn't heard about it and told me "ignorance is bliss; don't do too much research or you'll get overwhelmed."

I was so crushed when she told me that. however, it was nothing compared to the joy I felt when she told me that she had been researching the ARC and was getting upset at the society.

This person may be very elderly, but you never know what seed you could've planted. Maybe she will run with what you said and say to many others "oh, they told me they aren't coming to meetings because of some silly royal commission thing!" Someone with a little more free thinking may wonder "hmmm...what is the royal commission and why is it keeping someone from the meetings?"

You never know....

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Because I'm not a mindless dolt.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

One can only hope others wake up. Yet, whatever they choose to do, we have used our "God given" intellect and brains to research facts.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was told by an elder's wife that I think to much and that I try to understand things that I really should not.

I was just blown away and this was not by an old person this was by a women in her late 40's at the time and she was not a stupid person if you were to just met her. She actually came off as a real thinker.

I was just speechless.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit