The Scientific Method

by cofty 83 Replies latest social humour

• cofty
  • jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

Sometimes the minimalist approach makes everything clearer and easy to understand. In this case the result is the opposite. I don't really get it.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I think it is about having an idea that makes you happy but it's not science. So it's a no.

• cofty
    cofty

Scientist thinking
    Scientist has exciting idea
    Data says idea is bollocks
    Scientist sad

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Very nice, too bad the state of science today leaves alot to be desired, what with all their plagiarism, corporate interests, government interests and self interest/ego.

As Max Planck said "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it"

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I still believe in science. What you are describing is not the scientific method; it's what people do with it. Don't blame science.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

Cofty:- " Scientist thinking

Scientist has exciting idea

Scientist sad"

Theist thinking

Theist has exciting idea

Theist believes regardless

• captaingrl
    captaingrl

this may be how it used to be, but the problem with much that pass for "science" these days is they will endlessly tweak their idea so as to fit any kind of data. See social science.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Or data, to fit any kind of idea.

Hey Giles, does that mean his idea was science... fiction?

Speaking of science, I've got one for you:

I before E except after C

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

Science is like technology. It is usually the human factor that gets it wrong or keeps it from working.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit