WTBS' Financial Empire...the tip of the iceberg!

by MacHislopp 48 Replies latest jw friends

• happy man
    happy man

Well this info was intresting, i say like someone where are the stocks and who much is it in real money, cant figure that out from this papers.

And the qestion where is all money going is something I have thaugt a lot about?

perhaps some can tell , and this info are perhps dangerus fore some, I dont now.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Yawnnn, thisis so boring. An organization of six million people has money, so what. You guys need to get a life.

• waiting
    waiting
    Yawnnn, thisis so boring. An organization of six million people has money, so what.

Actually - if taken at face value - an organization -.........no big deal. Taken as a religious group dedicated to doing the "will of Jehovah" - and having volunteers doing that work free of any financial payment, and many of those same pioneers having to live with family when old & used up because they have no retirement............ well, that IS a big deal..........because you're right.........the WTBTS is an organization - a business scamming volunteers to use up their lives to make money for the organization believing they're doing the "will of Jehovah."

You guys need to get a life.

lol - not as badly as all those delusional Jehovah Witness volunteers. waiting

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

well done, WOW, this info will be helpful many times over,

It's amazing that out of 6 million followers they can generate this much money, Tony Robbins would be proud of them.

Or pork chop, since you find this boring and uneventful, feel free to send ALL of your pay cheque to any of the above addresses, I'm sure the Watchtower could always use more money. So don't think about it, send it NOW !!!!!!!!!! before Armageddon comes AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH the end is here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Good job, Thanks! The Publishing corporation had long been trying to show us their nature. This picture is from the inside of the Aid book, 1971 edition. They have long been proud of their real estate holdings.

• metatron
    metatron

your research suggests to me that the 70-80 million dollars a year is actually close to their total income in the US

and that the 951 million figure is actually their reputed asset value ( not income)

metatron

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

I don't think any faithful JW will argue with you that the value of the property in New York is very high.

But consider this: How much was the property worth when it was first acquired?

For example, how much was the Bossert Hotel bought for? and how much is it worth now?

Value does go up when you fix a property. Anyone that deals in real estate will tell you that. My house has gone up in value in the last two or three years, but should I go running and selling it to take the profit? That's not what I want to do, I like my house and it serves it's purpose.

So just because the land and buildings are worth millions doesn't mean the Society should make a huge sale. These properties serve their purpose.

Also, many of the buildings have been owned since the early 1900's. Of course the value has gone up in price.

This is really no big deal, but of course, apostates will say otherwise because they are desperate to show themselves as rightous by discrediting Jehovah's Organization.

• metatron
    metatron

Real estate values DON'T have to go up!

Many of the Society's properties may get sold into an illiquid market. Anybody that wants to buy a factory in NYC is crazy.

The Society got many of these buildings because some companies WANTED TO GET OUT ( like Squibb)

and wisely so.

metatron

• jgnat
    jgnat

SoJ, has the WTS ever criticized the Catholic Church for the large amount of assets they hold? Do you have any ethical reservations about large religious organizations holding on to tracts of land and property, basically holding on to that wealth for their own self-interest, rather than plowing that money back in to The Work?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week545/feature.html

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

SOJ says:

So just because the land and buildings are worth millions doesn't mean the Society should make a huge sale. These properties serve their purpose.

True. But what is that purpose?

Let's take an assembly hall. The society buys the property for $X. Using volunteer labor, the hall is built, and now has a total cost of $Y, arguably less than market value because of the cost of labor.

10 years later, this hall is deemed outdated or too small, and is sold to Babylon the Great for $Z where Z is a large multiple of Y.
    The Society pockets the difference (putting it towards the worldwide work, of course).

A site is chosen for a new assembly hall. The society buys the property for $X. Using volunteer labor, the hall is built, and now has a total cost of $Y, arguably less than market value because of the cost of labor...

Do you have a problem with this cycle SOJ? I do.

As far as the Pacific Educational Center (which I had never heard of), what could be the motivation and/or stated reasons for owning this property? To train missionaries going out into China perhaps?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit