Trump suggests postponing the elections ... I'm not making this up

by RubaDub 71 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Elections have been held per the US Constitution during many difficult times; US Civil War, WW I, WW II, whatever. I just put on the pro-Trump Fox News and even they are saying ... oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is really scary. Are we headed towards a dictatorship? Or would the Russian (Putin) model of just extending the term for 10 more years or so?

I need not make any more comments.

• sir82
    sir82

Yawn.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/trump-suggests-delaying-election-amid-fraud-claims-but-has-no-power-to-do-so.html

Trump has no power to unilaterally delay elections, which were set for the day after the first Monday in November through a mid-19th century law passed by Congress. Since then, it has never changed, said presidential historian Michael Beschloss.

I'd put this fantasy right behind the "if Trump loses he'll refuse to vacate the White House on January 20" one.

• sir82
    sir82

For those of you who won't be triggered or have their eyes melt by reading tweets from a <GASP> UC-Berkely law professor, here is more detailed info:

https://twitter.com/Teri_Kanefield/status/1288829827806408704

Short answer: Constitution says the president's & vice-president's term ends on January 20, 2021, If no elections have been held by that point, Speaker of the House assumes role as president.

I.e., options are (1) hold the election or (2) welcome President Pelosi.

I.e., this is just more bluster.

I like this quote from that thread:

He invents a new crisis with the intention of sending everyone into a panic. It works. Every single time. Predictably, people go into a panic spin. Trump pushes your buttons and you respond.

• minsky
    minsky

More like a shit stirring question meant to play the media.

The election is going to be a shitshow. Mail in ballots are fundamentally easier to fake than in-person voting and will cause many people to doubt the result. Under normal circumstances, both parties should be open to postponing the election by a few months if the present circumstances persists to ensure it happens as fairly as possible.

The presidency goes to Pelosi in January if no election is held. One can wonder why the democrats are so crazy about having an unusual election in the middle of a pandemic.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Trump pushes your buttons and you respond.

@sir82 ...

I'm not really upset at all. I find this extremely entertaining.

It's great to watch how deep of a hole a narcissist baffoon can dig. Conspiracy theories, aliens landing in New Mexico, Obama born in Kenya, Loch Ness Monster .... it's all great to pass the time.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Don't Trump's supporters get that mail-in voting works both ways? What's stopping them from padding the mail-in total as much as the Dems, assuming it's as easy as Trump insists ?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

What's stopping them from padding the mail-in total as much as the Dems?

The same thing that is stopping them from burning, looting and murdering people like the left does every time the left gets their panties in a wad. The people on the right are more prone to being law-abiding than those on the left.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

RubaDub it played into your carnal desire to cast ill on Trump. Use this same zeal to find a way to actually leave the borg. It would be a much better use of your indignation

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

This is a known Soviet style manouvre.

T. has his Moscow advisors.

G.

• sir82
    sir82

From the "bleedin' obvious" department:

What did Trump start tweeting horse pucky about "delaying elections"?

Here is the reason:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-economy-gdp-report-second-quarter-coronavirus-11596061406

U.S. Economy Contracted at Record Rate Last Quarter; Jobless Claims Rise to 1.43 Million

If everybody is talking about "delaying the election", no one is talking about a 33% drop in GDP, and the primary thing Trump planned to campaign on was the economy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit