Jehovah’s Witness jailed for sexual activity with a child

by LevelThePlayingField 37 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• warehouse
    warehouse
    But if you want to defend a 15 year old girl being involved with a 35 year old married man and them being equally culpable you crack on pal.

I just finished saying that he had no business being with her. But obviously, there's a disparity in the punishment. In your area of the world, a year later, and it's fine, no jail time. Are we seriously sending a guy to jail over ONE year of difference in age? Is there some magic switch that makes a girl 12 months later suddenly mature enough to make such a decision and not send the guy to jail?

• freddo
    freddo

No warehouse - over here if the male had been 16 or 17 it is unlikely there would have been a court case. If 18 or 19 then a much lighter sentence, certainly no jail term but a re-education program.

This is because UK law gives discretion to judges and can see the difference between a sex act committed by a just legally adult teenager and a mature man whose sexual switch isn't functioning right.

Unlike you it would seem.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Oh dear. You did have the makings of a reasonable debate about the age of consent, criminalisation and some aspects of Western social norms. The problem with introducing patriarchal and, frankly, medieval practices like selling your daughter (or worse) as some kind of cultural difference we should be paying respect to it completely undermines whatever basis there was for rational discussion about what could be acceptable and responsible behaviour in a progressive society.
  • prologos
    prologos
    freddo

the difference between a sex act committed by a just legally adult teenager and a mature man whose sexual switch isn't functioning right.

well, The "sex act[s]" of the teen ager might found to be wanting in comparison to the older male's, who after all proved his switch working right by having fathered children, even his moral switch working, showing restraint and leaving his adventurous teenage partner a certifiable virgin. what Is the legal age of marriage there by the way, 12 like in some western countries still? cant talk to them, touch below 16 or 61***, but marry at 12?

*** these are really anti-adultery laws, because none of this applies in marriage, and unwanted sexual activities are offences in all age groups.

talking of local customs in strange places, In Canada 4 females were drowned by a family for dating, at a 16,18 age. now the family from the east is appealing the murder conviction, because , they maintain that the jury was not properly instructed about their home country customs. legal proceedings funded by the Canadian taxpayer no doubt,

not endorsing, but putting forth ideas .

• warehouse
    warehouse
    The problem with introducing patriarchal and, frankly, medieval practices like selling your daughter (or worse) as some kind of cultural difference we should be paying respect to

Ah, yeah, you're right, I chose my words poorly there.

I guess my point is that there are vastly differing customs throughout the world and history; some terrible, some good. If we only take our viewpoint/circumstances as the standard, we run the risk of becoming unbalanced, close-minded and harming people and society, and possibly getting to the point where outright human trafficking is acceptable. Or the opposite, where even conversation, thought, and normal human behavior is controlled, codified, and criminalized.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The thing is at age fifteen you are still emotionally immature. I hear what you saying about different cultures, BUT if it subjects it's children to underage sex it's just wrong.

Fifteen yr olds aren't known for their wise choices at the best of times it would be nice to think that the adults in their midst would know this and look out for them not prey on their vulnerbailities.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There is something wrong with an adult male who prefers to boink children. Hughe Heffner is a pervert for shagging girls who are legal adults at 18. That's my opinion. He used his money and position to take advantage of them. He sent them to college or whatever, but ultimately used them to further his billion dollar business. He didn't do anything out of the kindness of heart.

Im a guy, and until JWism finally ruined my sex drive, I could have populated an entire planet. Sure, I've been out in public and seen a sweet thing that just blew my mind for a moment. You don't always recognize the age right away, but eventually you do. That's when you say, " I'm 40+, I had my shot. I'm too old for her. That would just be weird and wrong."

Being a father makes a difference as well. That JW would have been beaten until he begged for mercy, if he did that to my kid. That's a scientific fact.

DD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Warehouse, I'm saying this as a friend...

...I think it's time you took a break from the subject matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit