Jehovah’s Witness jailed for sexual activity with a child

by LevelThePlayingField 37 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Source: http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/jehovahs-witness-jailed-for-sexual-activity-with-a-child-8997/

A JEHOVAH’S Witness from Stratford who took part in sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl has been ‘struggling with those demons’ for the last seven or eight years, a judge has heard.

But pleas for Craig Allen, who was said to have support from the Jehovah’s Witness congregation, not to be jailed cut no ice with a judge at Warwick Crown Court.

The 43 year-old of Evesham Road, Dodwell, was jailed for two years and eight months and ordered to register as a sex offender for life after he pleaded guilty to two charges of sexual activity with a child.

Prosecutor Andrew Wallace said Allen had met the girl in the mid-2000s through the church.

The girl, now a young woman in her 20s, said she began to fancy Allen, who had started to pay her compliments.

Then on one occasion when he gave her a lift, despite being fully aware she was only 15, Allen sexually touched her.

She did not object or tell anyone what had happened, and there were further consensual incidents between them, including various types of sexual activity but not full intercourse.

Someone who suspected what was going on between Allen, a family man in his 30s, and the girl said something to her mother.

But when she challenged both her daughter and Allen about what she had heard, they both denied it.

Things stopped after the girl began to feel guilty about what was happening, and she eventually decided to come forward last year and contacted the police.

She said she had been dramatically affected by what had gone on, and that what happened with Allen caused her to suffer a breakdown and still haunted her.

When Allen was questioned by the police he accepted the incidents had taken place, but claimed it was the girl who had taken the lead.

Elizabeth Power, defending, said Allen, who has a son and a daughter who were now both in their 20s, had attended for a voluntary interview with the police and made admissions.

“He did not force himself on her – but he was the adult and she was a child. He says he was weak and was attracted to her. He has had the last seven or eight years struggling with those demons.

Miss Power said Allen, who had a number of debts, runs his own building business and was the main provider for his family.

Jailing Allen, Judge Sylvia de Bertodano told him: “I quite accept that whatever happened, she was a willing participant in it; but you took advantage of the fact that she was 20 years younger than you, and a child.

“This has effectively ruined your reputation. You are lucky your wife is standing by you, and you are a member of a church which is supportive of you as well.

“But the message has to go out that if men in their mid-30s repeatedly engage in sexual activity with under-age children, they will go to prison.”

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Well, good to know his "church" is supporting him, and that church would be.......

Jehovah's Organization of perverts, creeps, pedophiles and serial killers.

• prologos
    prologos

"she began to fancy Allen ----She did not object or tell anyone what had happened, and there were further consensual incidents ---the girl began to feel guilty about what was happening, and she eventually decided to come forward --"

I will get hammered for this, but this is a sad outcome.

Remembering from my youth, in the 1930s, before puberty, the young ladies my age were very adventurous, forthcoming, beyond my comprehension, How these dalliances,-- no intercourse, no [statutory] rape involved,-- can now take such turn of events? Of course there are very tragic events, but this one?

the good? publicizing these outcomes will reduce, stop such developments cold.

gents, have your brakes checked.

added PS: would the same activities undertaken with a male her age have led to the same regrets?, effects on her? so why single out an older partner of hers?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Many 15yr old girls and boys will develop an adolescent crush on someone older, that they will later look back on and cringe. It's up to the adults in any underage person's life not to take advantage, this guy deserves prison time.

• Zoos
    Zoos

A 15 years old?

We're talking technicality of law here with the age of consent thing. It's different everywhere. While I believe it's inappropriate for a person 20 years older to mess with a 15 yo, what would your opinion be if the perp was 21? Would the girl still be a child victim?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I can't just go by the numbers on this one.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    £££ ker-ching ?
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Fair enough, the news that a 15 year old girl is sexually active is not exactly going to stop the presses.

Fair enough, the difference between sexual activity at 15 years 364 days and 16 years is (in the UK) one of legal status for consent.

Fair enough, a 15 year is perfectly capable of initiating sexual activity.

What is not fair enough is to give a married man in his 30s ANY slack or sympathy for allowing a relationship to develop with a 15 year old. He was the adult. He was aware of the law. To call the relationship inappropriate is an understatement. It is simply wrong.

Even if a 15 year could legally consent to sex, it does not make this sort of relationship appropriate or healthy.

• Zoos
    Zoos
    Even if a 15 year could legally consent to sex, it does not make this sort of relationship appropriate or healthy.

I agree 100%. What I question is whether it rises to the level of a criminal act.

My concern is, if we start coloring outside the lines on this issue it could have the effect of watering down the seriousness of REAL child molestation. I realize those line become a little fuzzy as the child becomes a teenager and I AM NOT QUALIFIED TO DEFINE THEM... but this particular case gives me pause.

• stillin
    stillin
    When I was 25 I had 9 years of experience at being 16. In other rods my hormones were running wild and so was I. A 15 year old hottie would have looked really good and self control would have been really difficult. Too bad for everyone when things get out of hand.
  • freddo
    freddo

I agree wholeheartedly with Konceptual.

If it was an older teenager - certainly a sixteen or seventeen year old then I would say no crime deserving any jail term.

I would even go up to say 18 or even 19 for the boy because it is fairly normal for a 15 year old girl to have a 17 or 18 year old boyfriend.

20 plus and we are getting into deeper water every year the age of the older participant (male or female) goes up.

There is no excuse for any man of this age (30's plus) to do what he did and prison is right IMO. It is a question of degree and situation. A workmate of mine who I have known for over ten years confided that he had got his girlfriend pregnant when he was 19 and she was 15. They married and now have four kids and have been together for 25 years.

@Prologos

Two teenagers being sexually active doesn't have the same level of criminality (if any) as one participant being 20 years older than the underage teenager.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit