Smoker or Non Smoker?

by JH 69 Replies latest jw friends

• aunthill
    aunthill

Smoke free and loving it! My husband likes to eat at this one particular sports bar and we come out reeking of cigarette smoke. Ugh!!

I quit smoking to get baptized JW, before it was a DF offense. Quit cold turkey - it was very hard. It is about the only good thing I got out of dubdom. After quitting, I became asthmatic and allergic to all kinds of pollens, odors, perfumes and, yes, cigarette smoke. I read somewhere that it has something to do with the nicotine jolting the adrenal glands, and when one quits, the adrenals take a big sigh of relief and go on strike for several months, years, whatever, and that is when allergies and asthma set in. 30 years later allergies and asthma are much better, thank you, but I still have no wind. I would be one of those people who lug around an oxygen tank everywhere they go if I still smoked. (Double Ugh!!) Thank goodness hubby (never a JW) quit a few years after I did.

I feel sorry anybody who wants to quit smoking and can't. Today they have all these pills and patches to help, but I guess some people still can't kick the habit.

• aunthill
    aunthill

Oh, look! I made it to the top of a new page!

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

My dad smoked while I was growing up and I hated it then. Hate it more now. Thankfully, he quit cold turkey in his late 50's after smoking since he was probably a pre-teenager. I asked him about it once. He shrugged it off ~ "Just finished a pack one day and never bought another one" I'm impressed.

I never had a sense of smell at all when I was a kid. Hubby told me the first time he kissed me he could taste it even though I didn't smoke (he said he thought "OH NO! She smokes!" - it had been a big bone of contention between him and an old girlfriend). He has asthma and allergies.

Every time I'm around someone who is smoking, the next day I wake up with a full-blown sinus infection (the kind it takes antibiotics to kick). I won't go to bars because of the smoke. I won't sit in smoking sections. I don't visit people who smoke in their houses (I do have a couple of friends who smoke, but don't smoke in their homes). Walking past someone who is smoking outside, or even past the area where people normally smoke even if there's no one there at the moment, gives me a headache.

I wish that smoking was outlawed in public places like it is in CA! People who think they can step a few feet away and light up really don't understand how strong that stuff is or how far it carries. I can smell it from the outside on 2nd floor with the window closed. I don't dispute people's right to smoke but I don't want to have to smell it.

I also hate how the tobacco companies have taken a sacred herb (Indians refer to it as a gift from the Great Spirit) and added crap to it and defiled it. Strangely, I can be in an area where native tobacco is being burned as an offering without it bothering me too horribly much (I do keep my distance).

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    I wish that smoking was outlawed in public places like it is in CA!

Heh. If they tried that in Jersey their'd be riots. Bars are to relax and enjoy yourselves. Having a cigar, pipe or cig is just a fine addition to a nice evening. We can sterilize every establishment in the world so that everyone can be happy, because it's just not going to happen. Someone's going to be pissed off, no matter what changes happen. Just leave things as they are.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I will stop one of these days, but for now I smoke.

Sooner or later, EVERYONE quits smoking!

Farkel

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Sooner or later, EVERYONE quits smoking!

One of my sons attends church occasionally, with his wife. He told us the minister was talking about smoking one Sunday, and asked the question: "If you smoke, will you go to heaven? Of course you will. You might get there sooner than some of us, but it isn't a sin." I thought that was neat.

• Mulan
    Mulan

aunthill said this:

I became asthmatic and allergic to all kinds of pollens, odors, perfumes and, yes, cigarette smoke.

It is a sure sign of a compromised immune system. Your comment about the adrenals is good, and a real possibility. Be sure you are taking vitamins and minerals..............a GOOD supplement, not something from the grocery store. Go to a reputable health food store, and ask for products to build your immune system. Odor and environmental allergies are serious, and not just an insignificant annoyance.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Odor and environmental allergies are serious, and not just an insignificant annoyance.

I think too often we forget that odors are not just a smell with no substance. Everybody remember their 7th grade science? It's actually particles (molecules? something like that) of the substance in question. When it's fresh-baked chocolate cake, that's a good thing. When it's a chemical, it can be deadly!

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    I wish that smoking was outlawed in public places like it is in CA!

Heh. If they tried that in Jersey their'd be riots. Bars are to relax and enjoy yourselves. Having a cigar, pipe or cig is just a fine addition to a nice evening. We can sterilize every establishment in the world so that everyone can be happy, because it's just not going to happen. Someone's going to be pissed off, no matter what changes happen. Just leave things as they are.

Hey, I never said I wasn't selfish. How 'bout if I said I wanted to go to a bar or restaurant when I had some nasty and virulent disease, that didn't really bother me but was capable of making you deathly ill and making you miss work for a week and pay a fortune in doctor's bills and meds, and sit right next to you and hack and cough, and sneeze on your food. Would you be defending my right to do so, or think I was selfish and stupid? And I have to disagree with this part... Bars are to relax and enjoy yourselves. If smoke bothers you, you can't go to a bar and relax and enjoy yourself. I'd love to be able to go to a bar with my friends and sit and visit and have a drink, but I can't

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I'm sorry that you have the ailment, my wife has severe asthma......still I think the question comes down to, what the majority wants....does more than 75% of people in the bar smoke? than leave it, methinks.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit