How Do Jehovah's Witnesses View Education?

by southyukon 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Damn, I wish I’d caught that.

😎👍"

Thanks, Man! I'm embarrassed to say, I was kind of proud of it when I wrote it. 🥺☺️

The WT at times appears to be a study in paradoxes. Or in taking positions that boil down to being downright hypocritical. The higher education issue is one of the more prominent ones.

I'm surprised that the WT never created its own primary/elementary school system. It would have made a lot of sense. The SDAs run their own schools for their kids. Religion based schools* even get partial funding from the government, here in Australia!

I suppose the urgency of the message in the past persuaded them that they couldn't dedicate the kind of resources necessary. Plus Rutherford actively hated children and families. Children were seen as useless diverters of resources away from "the real work". And tertiary/higher education was probably seen as a similarly useless diversion.

And in these and many other areas, they are seeing their chickens coming home to roost.

*Like Catholic schools, etc.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Initiating programs for kids - i.e. the next generation - implies long-term planning.

Which is impossible if the End of the World is imminent.

Further evidence that the policy-makers are True Believers.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Earnest5 days ago

TTWSYF : Isn’t it bizarre that an organization that boastfully prides itself on “true” scriptural interpretation would look suspiciously at theological studies?

Not at all. Theological studies often includes source criticism, form criticism, redaction criticism, tradition criticism and/or canonical criticism, all of which discount inspiration of the scriptures. They say there are no atheists in foxholes. It is truer to say there are no believers in theological colleges.

Earnest, criticism is the beginning of solid reasoning. Criticism is a good thing. It makes you think and reason. Then you make decisions based on solid reasoning. It’s not to be feared, it’s to help us all grow in knowledge and faith. The folks that I’ve met that have studied (seriously, not WT and Awake) are into their studies to become closer to the Lord. You shouldn’t be afraid of legitimate criticism.

TTWSYF

• titch
    titch

Folks: I think that what the Original Poster was referring to was "higher education", or, college education. When I was growing up in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the mindset of the JWs seemed to be, just get the education that is only required by the government in your own particular country. And, that's it! And, while you are in high school, concentrate on subjects that you can use to support yourself when you graduate and obtain your high-school diploma.

But, during that time, MOST of my contemporaries (age-wise) did not even complete their high school education, and obtain a high-school diploma. Most of them dropped out of high school, with the thought of taking some "correspondence courses" to obtain their diploma. The thought among them was, get out there and pioneer. Spend time going from door-to-door. The end of the Old System is so very close, you can't spend time, or, waste time, attending high school! Most of my age-wise contemporaries did not even complete any correspondence courses to get their high-school diplomas. Many felt that even a high-school environment was a "corrupting" influence, not to mention college environments! Oh, well.

Myself, I was different. My parents, who were Witnesses, insisted that I should at least finish the 4 years of high school and get my diploma. Which I did, and I have never regretted it. Heck, I went to "Grad Night" at Disneyland, after the Graduation Ceremony. And, I had an enjoyable fun time that night! Best Regards to Everyone.-----Titch.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

The "Shepherd the Flock of God" book for Elders, 2022, States: "

SITUATIONS THAT MAY REQUIRE A REVIEW OF AN APPOINTED BROTHER’S QUALIFICATIONS

"
    • 30. He or a Member of His Household Pursues Higher Education: If an appointed brother, his wife, or his children pursue higher education, does his life pattern show that he puts Kingdom interests first in his life? Does he teach his family members to put Kingdom interests first? Does he respect what has been published by the faithful slave on the dangers of higher education?"

"How is he viewed by the congregation? Why is he or his family pursuing higher learning? Do they have theocratic goals? Does the pursuit of higher education interfere with regular meeting attendance, meaningful participation in field service, or other theocratic activities?"

These questions are asked in an Elders meeting to consider removal.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Balaam's Ass, the same paragraph is in the October 2023 "Shepherd the Flock of God" edition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit