How Do Jehovah's Witnesses View Education?

by southyukon 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Earnest

But never encourage someone to pursue electronics if not already enrolled.

Since armageddon is coming by (choose date) you don't need a good job. Forget retirement

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Thats one thing in JWdom the vast rank and file are completely caught off guard for and ill-equipped for.

Is retirement.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    Do not forget that when GB is seeking lawyers or medical personnel, or even musicians for their musical recordings, they are only interested in those that have successfully finished many years of higher education.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SOUTH YUKON:

Quite simply, the religion hates higher education for its followers…But, if somebody comes in who already has education, they will gladly benefit from that persons skill and secular know-how. Now they have letters openly asking!

I had an elder once admit to me that ‘college educated brothers are harder to counsel’. So, there you have it. This bias against college is because some elder, co or whatever was made to feel stupid when getting into a ‘discussion’ with some educated person in the congregations.. They don’t care if the average JW can’t put food on the table, as long as they sit there ignorant and not asking questions.

BETH SARIM:

Yes, needless to say, a large percentage of the vast rank & file are unprepared for retirement having been told ‘Armageddon was coming and there was no need for a career..’ Now, with the new ruling as of November 1st, that hourly time sheets no longer have to be reported, I wonder how many of these unprepared JWs are angry that they spent decades in the ministry knocking on doors - when they should have been holding down a decent job!!!..I think this was a slap in the face for many JWs and wonder how many will still hang around?

• Earnest
    Earnest

TTWSYF : Isn’t it bizarre that an organization that boastfully prides itself on “true” scriptural interpretation would look suspiciously at theological studies?

Not at all. Theological studies often includes source criticism, form criticism, redaction criticism, tradition criticism and/or canonical criticism, all of which discount inspiration of the scriptures. They say there are no atheists in foxholes. It is truer to say there are no believers in theological colleges.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

LHG;

I bet the long time, old school JWs are really pissed off right now with this "no hours" requirement now.

They just don't show it, or let on.🙂

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"It is truer to say there are no believers in theological colleges."

Says the bloke who's never set foot in one. I've spent time in one and I can assure you that there are people there who believe that the bible is the word of God and are there to study it.

You are probably thinking of religious studies at University, rather than theological colleges.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The JWs condemn higher education all the time.

But then they always turn around & reap the benefits of those who have it.

Why is that?

They reap the benefits,,but deny such education of their members(victims).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    NotFormer - “…on the one hand, they want dumb people that can't defend themselves from the WT's distorted doctrines, but on the other hand, they want smart people who can defend them from the consequences of those distorted doctrines.”

Damn, I wish I’d caught that.

😎👍

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

They have to reap the benefits of the educated.

Meanwhile mentally abuse and manipulate those who are not educated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit