Moral responsibility.

by nicolaou 168 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

In the scenario of the OP, I'd like to think I'd try to help the child.

What responsibility would I bear for inaction on my part?

It's a tough one.

Surely the little boy's parent(s) or legal guardian(s) bear responsibility?

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

He did intervene with Jesus. Some have said that if God never did a single thing except die on a cross and resurrect for their eternal salvation that is enough for them.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

Meanwhile people suffer

For what?

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

I wouldn't let an animal suffer never mind a person

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I always think of this scripture in 1 Corinthians...

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.

But, that might not satisfy people who want solid answers.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I always thought this scripture explained suffering to a certain extent...

Hosea 6:1-3

Come, let us return to the Lord;
    for he has torn us, that he may heal us;
    he has struck us down, and he will bind us up.
    2 After two days he will revive us;
    on the third day he will raise us up,
    that we may live before him.
    3 Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord;
    his going out is sure as the dawn;
    he will come to us as the showers,
    as the spring rains that water the earth.”

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.
    But, that might not satisfy people who want solid answers.

That never satisfied me. I was a child and got no comfort. No help. Some would say I wasn't good enough. Or that I was praying to the wrong God. Or going to the wrong church.

I was a child!!! Where was this supposed help?

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    Hosea 6:1-3
    Come, let us return to the Lord;
    for he has torn us, that he may heal us;
    he has struck us down, and he will bind us up.
    2 After two days he will revive us;
    on the third day he will raise us up,
    that we may live before him.
    3 Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord;
    his going out is sure as the dawn;
    he will come to us as the showers,
    as the spring rains that water the earth.”

Doesn't do a thing for me.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I was a child!!! Where was this supposed help?

Listen to this plea from the heart and feel ashamed if you dare to try excusing God for failing to lift a finger.

I don't know your story Lee and won't ask you to share anything you don't want to but I can imagine. I hope you are doing well now.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

When I was a child I felt bullied by my sister and a few years ago I was sobbing in my therapists office about it and I didn't know how to feel better. I couldn't undo anything, i wasn't a child anymore. It wasn't fair! No the scriptures didn't help me either. You're right. She told me that I should consider forgiving her. I didn't know how at first. I felt so much pain about it still and when I tried to talk to her about it she just told me I was a whiny crybaby. I started reading about forgiveness and I started to try to see things from my sister's perspective and I found some empathy for her and I have forgiven her. She was just a child too and had gone through the same trauma as me and took it out on me. (And this is not the same as you, I was just sharing some of my journey.)

I don't think we can ever know why things happen. We can trace our trauma to people and they have their trauma which caused them to hurt others and the cycle goes back and back and back. We just have to stop the cycle of abuse and try not to hurt others. That's all I can think to do....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit