Moral responsibility.

by nicolaou 168 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Try taking Jesus at his word. Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father. That is all we need.” Jesus replied: "Philip, I have been with you for a long time. Don't you know who I am? If you have seen me, you have seen the Father."

John 14:8,9 Contemporary English Version

I really would like the Christians on the forum to engage here. Doesn't it bother you that Jesus aligns himself with the child killing God of the Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures?
    The moral gymnastics you have to perform to maintain your view of Jesus as the 'Good Shepherd' surely betray an unwillingness to see the obvious for what it is.
    Don't forget I've been where you are, most of us here have.
  • Simon
    Simon

How about this one:

You know of a plan to kidnap, torture, rape and murder a young woman. You can easily stop it, but you don't. Instead, you create a clone with no memory of the event.

You tell people who follow you that this makes you "loving".

The question isn't whether you're loving or not, because the answer to that is bleeding obvious.

The question is how warped is the morality of your followers to believe you.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

God had to do certain things in order for his master plan to come to fruition. Specifically that Jesus could be born into the world and go to the cross to save mankind and now I think that all the dominoes have to fall for the rest of his plan to take place. His will is for everyone to get saved, so we're in this grace period where anyone who calls on his son can receive eternal life, and we wait and try to get as many people on the rescue boats, so to speak.

Also.

When we were children and our parents, who had much more knowledge than we had, gave us rules or instructions what did we do? We threw a fit and cried about how unfair they were. We may have assumed they were cruel and didn't love us. But then we grew up and realized they were right and we didn't fully understand the way the world works. I think it is similar with God and us, his children.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Think about this, too. Let's suppose I was so terrified of the train and the situation that I didn't act and the child dies. How would I live with myself? Everyone would condemn me, I would condemn myself? But then someone tells me that Jesus can forgive me and give me a new heart and so I am so grateful I spend my life saving children. It wouldn't bring that child back to life, but I wouldn't want to kill myself and then those kids that were saved because of that forgiveness would die. And then 1 of those kids that I saved grows up to be a firefighter and your house catches on fire and saves you. And you're so grateful you do something wonderful that ends up saving someone else. Maybe that kid that died originally was going to grow up and murder tons of people. We can create scenarios all day.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Iriddle80: God had to do certain things

I don't see where god "had to" do anything. He is free to act and no one can challenge him. When some of his questionable actions are mentioned, we are reminded that god is not on the same moral plane as humanity is. He is good, his essential nature is good, his every action and decision are good. There is an endless set of options for how he could proceed at any time.

If the world is in this condition, it is entirely god's fault. Or, it is exactly as he wishes for it to be.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

If you are an atheist, what does it matter what one chemical accident does or does not do to another chemical accident?

One bubbles, one fizzes, one explodes… chemicals do what chemicals do right?

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

nicolaou

I was was that person, I would have definitely saved the child.

But lets continue the analogy.

What if, because of the negligent parents, I see the child running into traffic the next day? or contracting an illness because the child picked up something on the road and ate it, while the parents were busy and distracted?

Should I be merely saving the child, what say, for the next 18 years of his life?

When you say that God should act, how do you think he should? Should he miraculously stop people from getting hurt or falling ill? or maybe just miraculously save just innocent babies while their ignorant parents remain lethargic and the ruling governments remain corrupt?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    But you don't. You watch as the little boy falls onto the tracks and is pulverised by 185 tonnes of metal.

You want God to intervene only when you like it. That ain’t the way they cut the cookie:

On the day that I take action.” —Mal 4:3

God ain’t running the show at present. That’s what the Bible is about: Armageddon, the resurrection, etc. In the meantime, painfully, there is nothing you can do. In the meantime humanity is fighting to stop it with technology and medical science.

I see how most people even on this forum find a person guilty upon hearing an accusation. You gotta listen to the defense.

What I find most painful and devastating is a child’s joyful laughter and smile in his innocence . Life is so painful and cruel and one feels so helpless like the catcher in the rye. Imagine seeing someone deaf or blind or a devastated bereaved parent and having the power to help.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Most people would instinctively throw their arm out and stop the kid. It probably wouldnt even be a conscious choice.

• stan livedeath

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit